Integrated Amp for Paradigm Monitor 90p v3

wgb113

Looking for a new integrated amp for a pair of Paradigm Monitor 90p v3.

The speakers are a bit of an odd-duck with not much info/chatter about them. They were part of Paradigm's Monitor line in the 2000's and consist of a 1" tweeter, 6-1/2" midrange and 3 powered 8" drivers per cabinet.

The subs are driven by an on-board 175w amp. The speakers themselves are fed a full-range signal either via traditional speaker level connections or via a preamp/subwoofer out. There is an on-board, non-adjustable cross-over at 150Hz regardless of which connection is used (I'm using speaker-level).

Efficiency is rated at 95dB (in room)/92dB (anechoic).

They're part of a future 2-ch rig in my basement that will mainly be used during parties (or when I feel like cranking in). The side of the basement that they're on is approx 500 sq ft but the "nook" that they're in with the TV and couch is only 20' x 12'.

They're temporarily connected to an AudioSource AMP-100 while the basement is being finished. It plays them plenty loud but just sounds...okay. It's rated at 50W into 8 ohms so that's about as low as I think I want to go on power.

The integrated amps I'm considering are:

Cambridge Audio 651A
Marantz PM6005
Teac AI-501DA
Teac AI-1000B
Peachtree Decco 65
NAD C326BEE

Again it's a two-channel system that will be used for parties primarily. Sources will be an AppleTV and an Audio Technica AT-LP120.

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the Cambridge but I'd need a DAC that accepts optical (AppleTV) so the Teac AI-501DA and Peachtree are attractive but I've never had a 2-ch digital amp.

Bill

Sorry, should have specified - I'm trying to keep it under $750 new/certified refurb.

That Wyred4Sound is nice but more than I want to spend on a 3rd setup that won't see serious use.

Don't want to go the used route.

Bill

If you have an Arcam dealer nearby you might want to check out the A19. I've had mine for about 15 months and thoroughly enjoy it. Great sound, build and functionality. It also comes with a five year warranty..With a reasonable dealer discount you should be able to pick one up for close to your budget.

Never had any Yamaha gear...might be worth an audition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive found my as500 has been the best value bit of kit ive bought. It was ment to be a tied
Me over till i got my creek A50i repaird but nealy 2 year on its still my main amp my creek is now my spair in storage

So I took a chance and ordered a Yamaha A-S501 after reading the feature set and some reviews of it's predecessor the A-S500. Should be here later this week - will report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

My vote's for the NAD 326bee. I have one, and it's big brother, the 375bee. They both sound pretty amazing for the cost. I run both of these amps in tone defeat all the time. They simply don't need any adjustment. They sound identical to me. Of course the 375 will crank to ear splitting levels, but the 326 isn't far behind, and sounds more like a 100 watt amp from other manufacturers. Both have a very clear, warm, full bodied sound. With crisp clear highs, and plenty of well controlled Bass. All from a dead silent background.

So I took a chance and ordered a Yamaha A-S501 after reading the feature set and some reviews of it's predecessor the A-S500. Should be here later this week - will report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

An excellent choice, Sir! Let us know how you like it, after it has been run a bit. Listening to my AS500 right now, and she is a beaut!

Played it about 4 hours/night for the past two nights, first at normal levels, last night at party level, while upstairs doing other stuff. Gave a first listen last night just before I shut it down and it sounds good. Right now while the basement's under construction I've just got it connected via analog to an Airport Express streaming from my 16/44 AIFF iTunes library.

It seems to have plenty of power on reserve and is a nice looking unit (got black). The plastic knobs feel a little cheap but the remote's nice and is what will be used most of the time.

I'll have to post back once the basement's finished on how it really sounds and how both it's DAC and phono stage perform. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom