Pioneer pl-120 reshell

ae86

I've acquired a pioneer pl-120 with a broken case and I'd like to have a crack at building a new housing for it out of mdf. Reason being that msg is low resonate and this will be my first attempt at doing something like this. I'm hand with electronics and repair plus I've had a.lot of experience with speaker construction, thousand with a router etc.

I'm after some input and ideas on what would be best. I was thinking of a simple box design and replacing the metal plinth with a thick slab of mdf.

Also I'm not sure whether the motor needs to be I the exact same position as factory.

Here's where I'm at:

bb65deef8eb9cff418fcc19754daf764.jpg

Thinking about it, maybe this can be an ongoing project, eventually replacing the motor and platter. I've fixed the spindle as it was very tight, reemed it with wet and dry and greased up and now spins smoothly. The arm works well and is graphite, plus the whole mechanism seems fairly decent.

That would be quite a project. Any thoughts on what you intend to use to replace the insulators? They're key to minimizing resonance in these units.

Are these the rubber sprung feet? I've reused them in a quick mockup on a sheet of marine ply. Also position the motor on some dampening material and secures it with two orings to minimise vibration etc.

Back
Top Bottom