Need advice on speakers for large room, dance parties

Klipschorns over Cornwalls or LaScalas if you have two corners. Cornwalls if corners not available (so named because you could use them for Corner or Wall placement)

You have a large space and $1000. I will assume that the grand is just for the speakers and not amps etc. You are certainly not going to get Klipschorns or larger Altecs in that price range-so-where does that leave us ??? I have no idea :D But you will need something fairly robust to play loudly for several hours so vintage stuff might not be a great choice unless everything has been overhauled and thoroughly tested .

You have a large space and $1000. I will assume that the grand is just for the speakers and not amps etc. You are certainly not going to get Klipschorns or larger Altecs in that price range-so-where does that leave us ??? I have no idea :D But you will need something fairly robust to play loudly for several hours so vintage stuff might not be a great choice unless everything has been overhauled and thoroughly tested .

klipschorns, while the tits, are very much out of my price range. ditto with the large altec...i would like the speakers to function as great front speakers for home listening, maybe hook up to movies in the future...

i have a nice little hifi for the bedroom..marantz 1060 + vintage tannoy monitor golds (12")....i guess i'm just hoping to get good recommendations..which I have. it sounds like, should I go the klipsch route, the Cornwalls are more versatile than the La Scalas, but probably have equal definition.

Infinity made an SM series a few years back that was very efficient and sounded pretty good as well. Something like an SM 12(12"woofer) or SM 15(15" woofer) should do the trick.

You don't need to spend anything near $1000 to get what you're looking for. Get yourself a pair of DCM KX series, either the KX10 (10" woofer), KX12 (12" woofer), or if you can find them, KX212 (2 x 12" woofer). They were a real departure from the Timeframe/Timewindows that DCM used to make, they sold these in Circuit City about 10 years ago. They are super efficient, they make a lot of volume with not a lot of power, and if you have the power, the joint will be jumping as they say.

I had some people come to my house and listen to a few pairs of speakers. There were Infinity Reference 4, Advent Legacys, OLAs, and some DCM KX10 series 2. I demo'ed them all, as soon as they heard the DCMs they said "I'll take those."

Lee.

If you want the best Mid-range in the world go with Altec ! If you must go with Klipsch stick to the Cornwalls.. The LaScalas are bass shy IMHO,they are PA speakers and not so much HiFi. YMMV.
What kind of music are we playing at this dance par-tay? If it's classic-rock/pop, a pair of these up off the floor would keep any room dancin' til dawn and look great doin' it, and they would do well at the long end of that room. They are also good at old Motown/Stax/etc. stuff as well as psychedelic-rock, and they're equally-good at classic-funk/soul stuff (James Brown, the "Shaft" and "Superfly" soundtracks, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, etc.), not to mention disco and a zillion other genres. If that's your thing, then the Wharfedale W90's are worth a lookeeloo.
picture.php

Last edited:
Just picked up a set of Klipsch Heresy HIP's, they're very efficient and will play very, very loud without loosing detail, that's what they're built for. I added a powered sub for the low end. You might consider your amp if your going for something big and loud, that'll really work the amp out unless it's a really efficient speaker. I think these Heresy HIP's are 101dB. I use them in my oversized 5 car garage and at 1/3 volume on a 100 watt amp I can make your ears bleed and the detail is amazing.

DCM KX series would be a perfect fit for this task. very efficient, very resilient, and they sound better than many pundits would like to admit.

I can't believe i'm gonna suggest this.

But, i recently heard an old school DJ's new rig. (one that actually knows gear and good audio)

He is running Cerwin Vega XLS-215's.

I was quite impressed, and that doesn't happen often.

But, i recently heard an old school DJ's new rig. (one that actually knows gear and good audio)

I've heard those and they are the best sounding CV's I've ever heard.

What kind of music are we playing at this dance par-tay? If it's classic-rock/pop, a pair of these up off the floor would keep any room dancin' til dawn and look great doin' it, and they would do well at the long end of that room. They are also good at old Motown/Stax/etc. stuff as well as psychedelic-rock, and they're equally-good at classic-funk/soul stuff (James Brown, the "Shaft" and "Superfly" soundtracks, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, etc.), not to mention disco and a zillion other genres. If that's your thing, then the Wharfedale W90's are worth a lookeeloo.

well, basically anything. old soul, disco 12"s, funk, contemporary house, techno, smooth balearic sounds... all over the place. better than average imaging and the ability to thump when needed are the requirements....not sure why, or if a founded opinion, but I am partial to 15" woofers...is that total borax or do I have a point?

Last edited:

Come on, you know you like to party like the rest of us...:D

Back
Top Bottom