Yamaha M4 amp with NS1000M's

2tumsup

I have a pair of NS1000M's and a M4 amp has come available. Anybody out there have this setup or experienced it? Comments appreciated - thanks

That was my first stereo back in 1980.(NS-1000,M-4,C-6) M-4 will sound excellent with the 1000's.. Still rotate in the M-4's frequently. Currently running M-2 and NS-1000M's and also a M-4 with NS-1000's.

Get a C-4 to match the M-4 and you'll swear youv'e gone to heaven.

Last edited:
I have a pair of NS1000M's and a M4 amp has come available. Anybody out there have this setup or experienced it? Comments appreciated - thanks

I did for several years and loved it. They work very well together! :tresbon: :yes:

That was my first stereo back in 1980.(NS-1000,M-4,C-6) M-4 will sound excellent with the 1000's.. Still rotate in the M-4's frequently. Currently running M-2 and NS-1000M's and also a M-4 with NS-1000's.

Get a C-4 to match the M-4 and you'll swear youv'e gone to heaven.

Thanks - the ad that is offering it says it is 580 watts. my understanding is that it is 120 wpc - is he talking a 2 ohm load or what?

Thanks - the ad that is offering it says it is 580 watts. my understanding is that it is 120 wpc - is he talking a 2 ohm load or what?

The seller has no clue.He is reading the power consumption label on the rear of the unit or is pulling numbers out of his/her arse.

Last edited:
M-4.jpg

It's a great amp.

The seller has no clue.He is reading the power consumption label on the rear of the unit or is pulling numbers out of his/her arse.
I thought it was something like that. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I was checking around for a C 4 and only one so far but its 10 hours away but the chap wants 1/3 more than what I can get the M 4 for. I guess patience will be my next venture.
Will let you know if I get the M4

i also have a Yamaha M-4, C-4 and pair of NS-1000m.. very nice. once i get a real good cd player, treating my room acoustics will be the last thing to do.

You might want to take a DC meter with you to check the M-4 DC output at the speaker terminals.

I've got the M-4, C-4 set up, but unfortunately I've never ran across a pair of NS-1000 for anywhere near a reasonable price.
So I just make due with my $30.00 Bozak Rhapsodies. :D

Oh and this combo is sooo good, that my g/f, who knows nothing about, and cares little for my audio obsessions, has commented that this system sounds, "Better than just about anything, I've ever heard.":yes:

Maybe one day I'll happen upon a pair of NS-1000 for $30.00, and then I can hear for myself, if they can sound as nice as my current set-up. :music:

I've seen NS-1000's going for very reasonable prices, very. Really nice ones 6-700 pair isn't unusual, and for a speaker of that quality that's steal . Doug

Maybe one day I'll happen upon a pair of NS-1000 for $30.00,
Have better chances winning a lottery. Or getting struck by lightning.

Well the chap that was selling the M4 just walked out the door with some cash from me and left the M4 behind. Nice of him to deliver and once he saw how much gear I am hoarding, his heart softened a bit and knew it was going to a good home and accepted my offer.
Only things noticeable thus far is the light on the power switch is out. Hopefully it's just a bulb and an easy fix. Anyone with directions how to replace would be appreciated.
Slight amount of scratch noise on the right channel volume which hopefully deoxit should cure. Said he owned it for about ten years and he never had the cover off.
Auditioned it with a pair of Mission 780's which are 4 ohm so the 170wpc at 4ohm was really noticeable as far as power is concerned. Never got past 3 for volume as the windows were ready to rattle.
Will clean it up and hopefully be able to source a bulb during that process before I hook it up to the NS 1000M's. I've noticed comments in this thread about prices for the NS1000M's as to what they can be had for. Since this is not dollars and sense, I can't comment other than I acquired mine for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the previous price comments and they are 9.5 in condition.
Once I figure out how to post a picture, I will post some. I've tried on numerous occassions and followed instructions but it goes to browse and even if I enter the file number of my pics, it still won't let me. I'll FINGER it out someday.
This is one of those acquisitions that end up bringing you down a path. First the speakers at a steal, then the M4 and now on the hunt for a C4. Fortunately, a good CD player and a decent TT are in my possesion but then again, there's always something nicer out there.
Woe with me :music:
Comments about sourcing a bulb and installation directions, greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

Well the chap that was selling the M4 just walked out the door with some cash from me and left the M4 behind. Nice of him to deliver and once he saw how much gear I am hoarding, his heart softened a bit and knew it was going to a good home and accepted my offer.
Only things noticeable thus far is the light on the power switch is out. Hopefully it's just a bulb and an easy fix. Anyone with directions how to replace would be appreciated.
Slight amount of scratch noise on the right channel volume which hopefully deoxit should cure. Said he owned it for about ten years and he never had the cover off.
Auditioned it with a pair of Mission 780's which are 4 ohm so the 170wpc at 4ohm was really noticeable as far as power is concerned. Never got past 3 for volume as the windows were ready to rattle.
Will clean it up and hopefully be able to source a bulb during that process before I hook it up to the NS 1000M's. I've noticed comments in this thread about prices for the NS1000M's as to what they can be had for. Since this is not dollars and sense, I can't comment other than I acquired mine for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the previous price comments and they are 9.5 in condition.
Once I figure out how to post a picture, I will post some. I've tried on numerous occassions and followed instructions but it goes to browse and even if I enter the file number of my pics, it still won't let me. I'll FINGER it out someday.
This is one of those acquisitions that end up bringing you down a path. First the speakers at a steal, then the M4 and now on the hunt for a C4. Fortunately, a good CD player and a decent TT are in my possesion but then again, there's always something nicer out there.
Woe with me :music:
Comments about sourcing a bulb and installation directions, greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

Congrats on the M4 and NS-1000s!!! I have a M4 that i got from a guy who at a party someone spilled a beer on the left channel amp boards and supposedly it wouldn't work so i got it for a song. Well ended up it needed new trim pots and i went ahead and recapped it and it sounds great!!

BTW, from what Dave (avionic) has said, don't use Deoxit D5 on the volume pots in the M4. Use D100 because the D5 will desolve the carbon traces in the M4 volume pots.

Since I have acquired the M-4, I now need a good pre amp for it. I would like to get a C-4. I've only found 2 available. One is mated with a M-4 and the chap has not even responded to my offer which I thought was very respectable and the other on fleabay is a little outrageous in the 'buy it now' price.
Thus my question, what is another good alternative pre amp? Would like to stay in the Yammie family but if not, what other component would be a nice match?
Thanks in advance

Thus my question, what is another good alternative pre amp? Would like to stay in the Yammie family but if not, what other component would be a nice match?
Thanks in advance

There's the C-1, C-2, C-2a, and the C-2x to name a few and all of those are highly prized and priced. Like Dave, I started with and still have a C-6 that I found worked real well with the M-4 and NS-1000M's. There's lots of other later Yamaha preamps too that I can't really comment on.

C-80 and C-85 are very good as well. In my opinion better than the C-2 and C-2a. C-1's chocked full of unattainable vfet's. A fully functional one will probably run close to a grand or more.

Last edited:
C-80 and C-85 are very good as well. In my opinion better than the C-2 and C-2a. C-1's chocked full of unattainable vfet's. A fully functional one will probably run close to a grand or more.

Ouch! Perhaps the one on fleabay is not too much out of line. I'm basing my opinion (albeit a very uneducated one) on the acquisition cost of the M-4. I'm thinking 2 1/2 times more for a pre amp vs amp is kind of out of line.
Time to rethink this I rethink - lol

Back
Top Bottom