RX V1900 too Hot?

1968shawn

Hello all, I'm running a Yamaha RX V1900 with Polk monitor 10's, 7's plus 2 Velodyne subs in main zone and M20's plus one Velodyne sub in zone 2 also zone 3 with wireless Advents. When using only main zone I have noticed that the amp gets extremely hot to touch. So hot you don't want to touch too long. I've been thinking of installing a PC fan. Is this much heat normal? I would understand if I was running all zones but I don't. And if I wanted to I think it would fry. Should I install a fan?
Thanks

A/V receivers tend to run hotter than normal. Yamaha two channel receivers often run warm on their best models. A fan might be good. Remember the Polks you are running are 6 ohm loads nominally and 2 pairs of them are knocking on the door of 2 ohm loads which will kill most receivers.

Are the Monitor 7's hooked up as surrounds int he main room?
If not, how are they connected along with the 10's?
I'm under the impression that the RX V1900 does not have an A/B setup for the main room, just main speakers and surround speaker connections.

If you are running 8 Ohm main speakers only and it get gets THAT hot, I would think there is a problem with the unit.

Have you tried it with other speakers hooked up as the mains to see if it runs at the same high temp?
How hot does it get while idling (i.e. not playing any music)?

I don't have other speakers just Polks I will try the M20s they are newer not as much capability but I'll try them to see. Run it without music? That will be weird as there always music or TV playing. (silent that will be strange) Ok I'll leave it idle for an hour or so.
Thanks I'll post the results.

Ok so I let it sit idle it got warm but not hot. I put the M20 for mains and played it at regular volume with no surrounds and it got hot but not as hot as with the monitor 10's and 7's. In the manual it says I can use 6 or 8ohm speakers I know the vintage Polks vary from 8 down to almost 4ohms under load and I do load these up for extended periods. I've ordered all the parts to upgrade the crossovers in both the 10's and 7's. I think I'll hookup a PC fan until I get my speakers crossovers upgrade done and then see where I'm at with heat.

My RX-V2500 ran near 140 F (threshold of pain) at more less all times. Seemed normal for it. 7-8 years every day with no problems. I used it to dry out my brother's cell phone after he went into the pool with it. 30 minutes and dried out.

Not sure how similar it would be to the RX-V1900.

Back
Top Bottom