Why SEMITs?

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
Most of us know that a few of the TOTL models (e.g. Kappa 9, IRS Beta, Gamme/Delta) used SEMITs on top of the regular EMITs. Fewer may know that the Kappa 9 SEMIT is essentially the same as the smaller EMIT used in the RS4000. So my question is: does the SEMIT actually do anything that the EMIT (which already produces frequencies well above the range of human hearing) cannot do? Or was it marketing more than anything else?

Yes, but do they sell?

Sometimes. But, not too often.

Plus, a buyer can usually find the RS4000 'SEMITs' much cheaper. I paid a total of $24, including shipping, for a pair of RS4000 tweeters, with the crossovers, about a month ago. :D

Oh, as to the extra tweeter; the SEMIT is smaller, and as such, should have better horizontal and vertical dispersion. That in itself, could make an audible difference, between a single or dual EMIT speaker.

Last edited:
Sometimes. But, not too often.

Plus, a buyer can usually find the RS4000 'SEMITs' much cheaper. I paid a total of $24, including shipping, for a pair of RS4000 tweeters, with the crossovers, about a month ago. :D

Oh, as to the extra tweeter; the SEMIT is smaller, and as such, should have better horizontal and vertical dispersion. That in itself, could make an audible difference, between a single or dual EMIT speaker.

I agree, the SEMIT in my k9 has better dispersion than the ones in my epsilon

Back
Top Bottom