What was the fastest car you ever owned?

Hard call, depends on the weather and situation. My current car, a BMW 330xi is perfectly capable of well over 120mph and most likely less than a 17 second quarter here above Denver, but it will go around a turn at most any speed you choose if you can hold on to the wheel. My 1966 Plymouth Valiant with a 360 out of a cop car will top out at well over 120mph as well, it's probably a 15 second car and handles suprisingly well. But on ice or in snow my '74 Jeep J10 with a 360 was faster than most anything I've owned because it just wouldn't slip.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Like some of the other posters, I have never really owned a fast car. Bikes ruined it for me. The fastest car I have owned was a 1987 Calais with the Quad 4 motor and a 5 speed.

The fastest bike I ever owned was a built Suzuki GSXR1100. It was an 89 frame with a 91 motor in it, built out to 1189 and with some fun performance parts added.

My current fun car is a 1969 Thunderbird. Not fast, as it is just too big and heavy, but the 429 gets it from Shell station to Shell station just fine.

new guy to the forum here. cool to see all other sub topics besides audio -- Owned this 930 since 1999 - updated through the years through mods and engine rebuild to 425 rwhp at stock boost - Hit 145/150 ish on main straight at Summit Point main cirucuit
14146229110_689fbd4fdb_b.jpg

My 1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. It has an EVOIII 16G turbo, 272 cams, 2g ECU, FMIC and ran a 12.2 at the DSM Shootout. I was running about 24lbs of boost at the time and the car made about 400 in virtual dyno. I am in the process of building a 1991 Talon with an FP Black, 272 Kelfords, ETS race front mount and supporting mods. I followed the recipe a couple others were using and this should be about 550hp. It will be a full interior 10 second car. All built in my garage.
I may have driven your cars on the test track. Made right here in the USA in Normal IL. Pick up an Eclipse. The 4 wheel drive is better than the one in the Eagles. Those 2 liter motors are amazing. Drove some of the non turbo German exports with a close ratio manual. Now those were a nice drive.

1.8 liter turbo Passat. Stopped at 120mph and there was more pedal. Chipped for 40 more horses and it could do 155. Amazingly smooth at 120. The 1970 429 Cyclone was a fast drag car but 110-115 was tops

Last edited:
new guy to the forum here. cool to see all other sub topics besides audio -- Owned this 930 since 1999 - updated through the years through mods and engine rebuild to 425 rwhp at stock boost - Hit 145/150 ish on main straight at Summit Point main cirucuit

:thmbsp:

Silly as it sounds, my 1986 Lincoln Town Car may have it. If not, its a right close second to my 1991 Lincoln Mark VII. Neither are fast cars by any reasonable definition but I've usually had really slow stuff. First two cars were VW Beetles, then a Dodge Dakota, the S10 I have now, the 86 Townie, and the 91 Mark VII comprise my entire list of owned vehicles from 1998 to present.

well, its definitely the Towncar now. I changed the cam, it hustles much more better. Comp Cams XE-258, a tmoss (Mustang guys know who he is) ported Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, shorty headers, ported E7 (yeah, boring stock HO iron) heads, Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 limited slip in the back, better brakes all around. Its still a big Lincoln that weighs 4000 lbs with a smallblock in it but it rolls on down the highway very nicely.

My heavy, slow, unreliable 3000GT. 11.8 @ 116 on pump 93 and street tires, 2nd place novice modded "NM" class autocross season trophy, never let me down in 5 years of daily driving / beatings. Met its end when I went off course during a hillclimb in 2009. For the aftermath look up "3000GT Philo" on youtube ...

ModifiedReadersRides-15.jpg

Last edited:
There is no difference in the systems at all. I have three of them here, two talons and an eclipse. The Eclipse, Talon and Laser where all the same down to the shop manuals aside from covers.

The 4G63 is an amazing motor and continued to serve the Evo until the 4B11 was introduced in the Evo X.

I love these cars because they are cheap to mod and can easily hold 125hp a hole without problems because of the closed deck design.

Nice blacked out 3000GT sad to hear it is in car heaven.

I may have driven your cars on the test track. Made right here in the USA in Normal IL. Pick up an Eclipse. The 4 wheel drive is better than the one in the Eagles. Those 2 liter motors are amazing. Drove some of the non turbo German exports with a close ratio manual. Now those were a nice drive.

Pretty ! :thmbsp: My '86 930 was box-stock but a fun drive. Black/Black.

Last edited:
1989 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo... I had it up to 163mph a couple times (computer limited). I was almost killed in it when a friend of mine drove us into three trees in 1992.

Pretty ! :thmbsp: My '86 930 was box-stock but a fun drive. Black/Black.
Thanks, when I bought this you could get turbos for low $20's so I did some mods like the aero mirrors, etc.

HIFI content - I have 100w Alpine amp, 8 inch sub, 4 Focal speakers and Alpine head with BT -- too bad I can only hear it at low idle! :D

I can think of a couple over the years

'89 Firebird Formula 350 w/ a transplanted and massaged Vette motor, good for over 190mph+

'70 440 Challenger, handled like shit though but great for going sideways

Deb's '65 pro built GTO, it would lift the front tires off the ground with 4 people in it :smoke:

I can think of a couple over the years

'89 Firebird Formula 350 w/ a transplanted and massaged Vette motor, good for over 190mph+

'70 440 Challenger, handled like shit though but great for going sideways

Deb's '65 pro built GTO, it would lift the front tires off the ground with 4 people in it :smoke:

You're pretty wide open on everything you do, eh?? :D

Awesome!

Nice.

A guy I knew back in my college days had a 930 Turbo, the body had gone up in flames due to an interior fire, but the drive train and chassis were intact. He chopped off the body and grafted a VW beetle body on to it.

I borrowed that car for a week while he was doing some bodywork on my car, it was the ultimate sleeper. I think in the mid to late 70's the 930 Turbo was the fastest 0-60 car on the planet, right? Something like 2.9 seconds?

What a cool car, thanks for posting!

bs

I've never owned anything truly fast, I don't trust myself enough to do that, plus I've always preferred fuel mileage to speed.

The fastest vehicle I've ever owned is one I own now, a 2003 Ford Escape with a 24 valve, all Aluminum 3.0 V6, not earth shaking but quick enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom