My first attempt at veneering.

dobyman

Turntable Addict
About 6 months ago I grabbed a pair of raw Heresy's and they were pretty rough. I recapped them first and today I had some time so I tried my hand at veneering.
Nothing spectacular and I have some mistakes, but they look much beter than they did, so I am a happy man. :banana:
Before:
BA80C35C-9AF0-47DF-B943-3D790FD24C06_zpspveagpyx.jpg

After:
ADC28866-4D3E-4DBB-A824-25CD2A1D3522_zpsimyvabi9.jpg

Great Job!! I have a set of Chorus I's that need this treatment. Good to know a first timer can get such good results.

Nice job! When someone takes some classic gear and makes it better than they found it, well that is what this whole thing is about.

Thanks again to all for the positives. Its really not as hard as you would think. I used the wood glue/hot iron method. The hardest part is not splitting the veneer as it is so thin. Mine split on the side near the bottom on both speakers, and I didn't notice it until I finished applying the heat. I used a little filler in the crack and it looks pretty good...... at least better than they did. When I brought them home, the wife was not happy. :no:
Now she loves them. :thmbsp:

Walnut? It looks great!

I have a pair of birch Cornwalls but I'm leery to try my hand at it because I think it will be obvious where I trim the excess veneer.

I have birch CW's too, and they are peeling on the bottom corners, and someone stained them dark walnut, and did a crappy job so I have nothing to lose by re-doing them. They sound great but can look much better. I am thinking oak veneer with medium oak or pecan stain. You just have to get wide veneer so you can do one piece.

There are a lot of things in life that I do very well. Veneering is NOT one of them. I've never attempted it, and probably never will. To me, it's like laying flooring. You best lay the upstairs spare bedroom first to get good, then work your way down to the entry hall when you have mastered the skill-set.

Your work looks spectacular to me. I'd be very proud of it.

Nice job. Enjoy.

If you were closer we would be doing these together, but I see you have palm trees, so that says worlds apart! LOL Too bad, it could have been fun. When I do the CW's, I want to do a step by step on them, so maybe that will help someone down the line.
I am a jack of all trades, master of none, so I can do almost anything, just not journeyman quality. But, in the audio world, the sound is more important than the look, so I am good to go.
Like I said, my CW's aren't pretty anyway, so it can only get better. :thmbsp:

Not to hijack this thread but it seems you are getting good advice on veneer work so I hope you don't mind. Last year I purchased speakers that have cabinets built from scratch that sound great. The problem is the veneer work is not that good. It seems it would be an awful lot of work to strip the stuff that on there. Can I put veneer on top of veneer? If the answer is no I'm going to build new cabinets to change the speaker layout slightly.

Thanks....Sprags

Not to hijack this thread but it seems you are getting good advice on veneer work so I hope you don't mind. Last year I purchased speakers that have cabinets built from scratch that sound great. The problem is the veneer work is not that good. It seems it would be an awful lot of work to strip the stuff that on there. Can I put veneer on top of veneer? If the answer is no I'm going to build new cabinets to change the speaker layout slightly.

Thanks....Sprags

That's a good question..... and I am not sure. I would assume if the old veneer is firmly attached, it would be ok. Technically the birch plywood on my Cornwalls is a veneer, and I will be going directly over that. But don't take my word for it. Maybe one of the experts will jump in here.

And thanks Joejoe! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom