High End Turntables

SP-10 MK3, Boston Mat II, EPA-B500 with EPA-A505 arm, EPC-P205CMK3 cartridge and an SH-10B3 plinth.

I'm still experimenting with it, so withholding comments on sound. That, and I've an SH-10B5 plinth on the way from Japan, and a friend found me an EPC-P100CMK4 that I want to try first. At some point I'll drag the Tri-Planar and XV-1s out as well.

I sold a 'good as you can get' original 401 and GB 301 to move in this direction - no regrets.

attachment.php

Very nice I can't wait till you get that other plinth, do you have any stock photos you could post of it?

I like the fact you said you had to sell a couple tables to buy "1" that should be better for you. For those that have 4-5 tables and say they can't step up in their playback, well it's not really true.

I'll play..... :)

Micro-Seiki RX-1500
ET II arm with high mass arm wand
Denon DL103
Quicksilver SUT
Custom Quicksilver Phono Stage

attachment.php

attachment.php

There's a lot more 'high-end' that this but here's mine;

VPI Aries Series-1 table with JMW-10.5 Memorial arm
On a Boos hard-maple butcher block sitting on an old Rata Torlyte 3-leg stand
Black-Diamond Racing carbon-fiber clamp
ZYX Airy 3x-SB low output moving coil cartridge
Modded Sonic Frontiers SFP-1 tube phono-stage
Final Labs copper & cotton ICs

I happily lived with a Sota (Premier FT-3, Denon DL-103 & ZYX Fuji cartridges) but always wanted this specific model of VPI (that platter!) and waited till one finally came along on the used market. Good price from a great seller (original packaging and the guy delivered and set it up!) and it has proven to be everything I'd hoped. The Fuji was incredible on it and the Airy just took the strengths of the Fuji even further.

I loved that Sota which was a step-up from the first generation Oracle I had but this VPI was a significant upgrade. The Sota kept me very comfortable through those dark days of digital but I might just be done now with this VPI – it was relatively affordable and just pushes the right buttons for me.

Some of you guy's are going to have me start looking at other tables to buy.

I'm supposed to be faithful to SOTA...:D

Beautiful just beautiful:yes:

No "Pics"....

But I have:

Thorens TD-160 (Mid 70's Vintage) + Jelco SA-750D Tone Arm + Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III plugged into a PS Audio GCPH.

Next Thing to be done to it will be to polish the Platter until it's shiny, and to build a Cherry-Rosewood Plinth for it, re-tune the suspension and place the TD-160 into THAT Plinth.

But people are stepping up in here with some BAD ASS (meaning good/great) Tables. So far, I liked ALL OF THEM.

--Charles--

attachment.php

There's a lot more 'high-end' that this but here's mine;

VPI Aries Series-1 table with JMW-10.5 Memorial arm
On a Boos hard-maple butcher block sitting on an old Rata Torlyte 3-leg stand
Black-Diamond Racing carbon-fiber clamp
ZYX Airy 3x-SB low output moving coil cartridge
Modded Sonic Frontiers SFP-1 tube phono-stage
Final Labs copper & cotton ICs

I happily lived with a Sota (Premier FT-3, Denon DL-103 & ZYX Fuji cartridges) but always wanted this specific model of VPI (that platter!) and waited till one finally came along on the used market. Good price from a great seller (original packaging and the guy delivered and set it up!) and it has proven to be everything I'd hoped. The Fuji was incredible on it and the Airy just took the strengths of the Fuji even further.

I loved that Sota which was a step-up from the first generation Oracle I had but this VPI was a significant upgrade. The Sota kept me very comfortable through those dark days of digital but I might just be done now with this VPI – it was relatively affordable and just pushes the right buttons for me.

But I love "THIS" VPI!!!!

--Charles--

my Maplenoll apollo turntable. (click link for pic) This is a highly modified table that was originally built by Maplenoll (bob dilger company) but was modified by Lloyd Walker (proscenium table) when he worked for Maplenoll. It has the outboard motor which was an upgrade and his first attempt at an on the fly VTA. i modified the tonearm to put a lightweight stiff carbon fiber headshell/arm assembly. I have my Universe ll on the table with a RCM sensor ii phono, Pass Labs x10 preamp and Pass Labs 30.8 amp. my speakers are AudioPhysics Caldera II. Its a dedicated vinyl rig that is my evolution over 40 years of building my system. I am close to the end of my quest for perfection in vinyl. The sound is flawless with deep bass, huge soundstage, black background and superb range. A 250 lb monster that is a daydream to listen to. I am biased however!
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=576549&d=1424142760

attachment.php

God yes that sweet and must be quite rare oilmanmojo, I have never seen this table before and would love to hear it.

I started with a Pro-Ject Debut III (with its included Ortofon 2M blue) and a Yaqin MS-22B phono stage. It was a great, relatively inexpensive starter kit for me.

I realized later, that my proximity to a transmission tower here in SF was causing a lot of interference picked up by the tubes. My first upgrade was to a solid state phono preamp - the Clearaudio Nano. It was quiet (I won't call it dead quiet) and not susceptible to the interference. A good upgrade.

My next upgrade was to swap the 2M Blue for a 2M Red. That was a noticeable change. Definitely far less sibilance, and it sounded more refined ("clearer") overall.

Then I was able to substantially increase my audio budget and decided to go for a super nice setup. I ended up choosing the Clearaudio Ovation, as a kit. It included the Clarify tonearm and Concept MC cartridge.

FBb1IqR.jpg

This is admittedly a far jump from a Debut III, and there are definitely very nice turntables in between, in terms of price. So here are some things I liked about the turntable that made me choose it. First, it is a very classic looking turntable. It has a refined look to it, without being too overstated. Second, it's technically and sonically advanced enough to to satisfy my upgrade-itis for quite a while.

I can't imagine having a nicer experience than operating the Ovation. Everything about it feels perfect and capable. It feels like a platform at its peak, and striving for more is just asking for fussiness.

This is admittedly a very classy table, just so clean and elegant...well done:thmbsp:

Let's see your $1,500 and up tables!!

Detailed photos and how you put your vinyl playback togeter, what you feel it provided you in sound quality and function. This will help others that might be interested in stepping up their system and gain a little insite.

Besides I want to see all the hot rigs here!!!:D

I'll add to mine after work and explain what I do for my front end.

SOTA Star Sapphire, SME Series V Arm, Sumiko Blackbird

IMG_2069_zps23c56946.jpg
You bought that all for $1500? How much was each part?
I would love a SME V to replace my Rega.....but I already have the SOTA so there's that.

You bought that all for $1500? How much was each part?
I would love a SME V to replace my Rega.....but I already have the SOTA so there's that.

No buddy it cost more than that. The thread is for High End tables 1,500 and up.

Now go get some nice photos of your deck because you fit the criteria and let us know how you have it setup.

Very nice I can't wait till you get that other plinth, do you have any stock photos you could post of it?

I like the fact you said you had to sell a couple tables to buy "1" that should be better for you. For those that have 4-5 tables and say they can't step up in their playback, well it's not really true.

Well... kinda. I sold the Garrards when I got my SP-10 MKII. Part of it was a change in direction, part of it was downsizing due to a move, and part of it was because I never really listen to more than one table at a time. But, yes, I sold off a bunch of excess last year to focus on raising the bar.

There doesn't seem to be many decent photos of that plinth. It's the same styling as the B3 I have now, but all obsidian and weighs in at 19kg. That'll put the setup at 81.5lbs.

I'm the artist formerly known as 13x24mancave:D

My pics always post upside down and can't figure it out but my vinyl is moderate HiFi....
SOTA Star/Sapphire with upgraded steel spike footers.
Rega RB300 rewired with I can't recall, it was $250 for the job, upgraded counterweight, custom CNC machine arm board
Dynavector 20L cart
Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2 stage.
I'd say used my vinyl rig could be had for in the ballpark of $2500 give or take.

Such beautiful tables! Here is my Lenco L-75 with a heavy plinth, ADA Linear tracking air bearing tonearm and a Denon DL-103R cartridge. I use Audience AU24e ic's to connect to a Jeff Rowland Consummate preamp with phono. The turntable sits on a Nobility Magnetic Levitation rack (note that the ARC PH3 has since been replaced with the Consummate phono amp).

attachment.php

Attachments

• lenco.jpg
    lenco.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 161
This turntable (lenco L70) has absolutely no place in this thread currently. .. but in a few months it will ..

A new very heavy plinth. Metal idler wheel. Refurb of bearings and motor and lastly my denon 103r..

Its going to be a nice project to kill my time. .

Supposedly a giant killer when done right. .. in its stock form... man this plinth is terrible, made out of cardboard. . But the things you can upgrade and tweak... they are the easiest. . Don't get me wrong. 1500 will go into this all said and done.

attachment.php

Beautiful turntables in here:thmbsp:

Attachments

• 1436328451899-628497369.jpg
    1436328451899-628497369.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
No buddy it cost more than that. The thread is for High End tables 1,500 and up.

I honestly love this criteria for this thread. It really has eliminated all the "scroes" and we're being treated to some really nice bits of kit.

I love this thread.

- Woody

I'm the artist formerly known as 13x24mancave:D

My pics always post upside down and can't figure it out but my vinyl is moderate HiFi....
SOTA Star/Sapphire with upgraded steel spike footers.
Rega RB300 rewired with I can't recall, it was $250 for the job, upgraded counterweight, custom CNC machine arm board
Dynavector 20L cart
Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2 stage.
I'd say used my vinyl rig could be had for in the ballpark of $2500 give or take.

I know Prince you ain't fooling me..:no:

Such beautiful tables! Here is my Lenco L-75 with a heavy plinth, ADA Linear tracking air bearing tonearm and a Denon DL-103R cartridge. I use Audience AU24e ic's to connect to a Jeff Rowland Consummate preamp with phono. The turntable sits on a Nobility Magnetic Levitation rack (note that the ARC PH3 has since been replaced with the Consummate phono amp).

attachment.php

Awesome table and really thinking out of the box in design. I have seen some magnetic levitation platforms on the bay and would love to try one, that pretty trick.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
This turntable (lenco L70) has absolutely no place in this thread currently. .. but in a few months it will ..

A new very heavy plinth. Metal idler wheel. Refurb of bearings and motor and lastly my denon 103r..

Its going to be a nice project to kill my time. .

Supposedly a giant killer when done right. .. in its stock form... man this plinth is terrible, made out of cardboard. . But the things you can upgrade and tweak... they are the easiest. . Don't get me wrong. 1500 will go into this all said and done.

attachment.php

Beautiful turntables in here:thmbsp:

matteos it looks like we'll be treated to a transformation, go for it. That's what this threads about, it's the member that are really trying to step up in the vinyl playback sceam of things. When your tables are starting to hit this level you tend not to drag home every consumer good thats out there.:thmbsp:

I honestly love this criteria for this thread. It really has eliminated all the "scroes" and we're being treated to some really nice bits of kit.

I love this thread.

- Woody

Thanks I was hoping to compile a group of members tables here that have really step up to the plate. As we can see everything is here, spaning around 50 years or more.

Back
Top Bottom