FFRS Mark 4:20i ( aka Freakin Fantastic Red neck Sub ) Revisited

Poultrygeist

Lunatic Member
I heard two of these last week on my visit to Ed's Hornshoppe and could not believe my ears. Months ago I started a DIY thread on these but I didn't take them as seriously as I do now.

Ed's easy but precise instructions must be followed to the letter otherwise they won't sound right. No tweaking allowed but any 12 year old could build them and that's why they belong here for the novice who doesn't read DIY threads.

The only driver that works is the "Modern" Pearless SLS 830667 which sells for $66 when it's not on sale at PE. If you enjoyed putting the TPA3116 together as a first project this one is easier and just as much fun.

Powered by a Crown amp and placed in a setup that included the Truth preamp, two pair of Nelson Pass amps bi-amping Ed's high end Great Horned Heils, with Boozehound active, these remarkable bucket subs MADE his system. It's been 3 days now and I'm still in shock.

bucketsub003_zps5d5425ea.jpg

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Subwoofer.html

Last edited:
I've seen this design and thought of giving it a shot. It's definitely easy enough and the price is right. I just don't have an amp and crossover that I could dedicate to two of them at the moment, maybe some day after a couple other projects.

The Behringer NU1000 shouldn't break the bank at $149. It's class D with a built-crossover and makes up to 1000 watts bridged mode. It's cheaper than many plate amps.

222411_4_x.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, that shouldn't break the bank. Thanks for the recommendation. I don't really look into the pro gear, they definitely have some good deals when looking for power.

kinda like a mini soo tube ,, I wonder if you could use exact dimension sono tube to get rid of the bucket look ?

I found this picture of the bucket sub paired with a high end BL horn system.

It proves they can be made more attractive with a little creativity.

earthtones029_zps2a621f21.jpg

The Behringer NU1000 shouldn't break the bank at $149. It's class D with a built-crossover and makes up to 1000 watts bridged mode. It's cheaper than many plate amps.

222411_4_x.jpg

I have an NU3000DSP and the only thing to beware of is the lack of input sensitivity. I had a hell of a time when I went to high efficiency speakers without adjustable amp gain on the amp driving them. Otherwise? Excellent for subs, absolutely excellent. It's more adjustable than the NU1000, has a parametric EQ etc..

Back
Top Bottom