Ragnarok getting closer - priced at $1500

estreeter

DSC_4248-580x384.jpg

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/rmaf-2013-day-three-highlights/

From the report, it would appear that there are still a few problems to be ironed out with the prototype - probably explains Jason's reticence to commit to a release date earlier in the year. $1500 is a very competitive price point for a solid-state integrated - they will be playing in a similar ballpark to entry-level amps from the likes of Naim, MF and Simaudio Moon. Not bad for a little company that still builds everything in the US, even if I have some reservations about the ability of that casework to act as a passive heatsink for a speaker amp without doubling as a space heater ;)

I spoke to Jason and Mike for awhile at CanJam and the Ragnarok that they were demoing was very much a prototype. Jason told me they still had some bugs to work out before going into production as this unit had been a bit temperamental over the weekend. The display unit's controls were very nice and it sounded great when I listened to it. Also I spoke to them about another product that they were developing but I can't say what it is. As for using the casework of the Ragnarok as a heatsink I think that is a very efficient way to do a cost effective cooling idea. My Exposure does the same thing having it's output transistors bolted to the casework and using it as a heatsink. The 2010S2's case is only warm to the touch when it is powered on and in use.

@Lee Harvey - thanks for the feedback from CanJam. I guess my concern stems from the fact that Schiit make no apologies for the fact that their headphone amps run hot - extend that to the real estate (and output power) of Ragnarok and I'll be interested to read the initial impressions. A space heater sounds great if you live in Maine - Malaysia, not so much :D

That thing looks great, and $1,500 sounds downright reasonable to me.

Especially when you consider that, if the reality matches Schiit's marketing, this will be a bona-fide speaker amp with a first class headphone stage. That said, I believe this is the first time Schiit will find itself in direct competition with some much bigger names - more power to them and I really hope both the amp and Yggdrasil DAC take off.

I was a little concerned when I saw your title. Then I realized you weren't heralding the end.

It could be the end for that money you had set aside for a PS4 and a 4K TV, stereofanboy ! :D

(I'm going to try to pounce on a discounted PS3 - much happier to let fanatics line up outside stores etc)

It could be the end for that money you had set aside for a PS4 and a 4K TV, stereofanboy ! :D

(I'm going to try to pounce on a discounted PS3 - much happier to let fanatics line up outside stores etc)

I won't be lining up for either the Xbox one or PRS4 this time around. My boys are old enough to buy their own this time around. :yes:

Guys, I'm not going to link to the HF thread as it's been heavily sidetracked by a completely irrelevant discussion - this is from the man himself:

5 Jan 14To get things back on topic, a quick update on Ragnarok and Yggdrasil:

Ragnarok:

1. Metal problems: solved and ordered. If the metal that comes in at the beginning of February is good, we're ready to start production.

2. Transformer hum: solved and ordered. Ditto the above, but we've only been surprised once by transformers that hum when the prototypes were quiet, so this is probably fine.

3. Gain stage: we've finished testing and optimizing the performance on the new design, and boards will be ordered as soon as we're done with the final integration torture test. Boards take only a couple of weeks, so that's not really a pacing item.

4. Software: adding a couple of tweaks, but everything is working--bias and offset setting, output protection monitoring, input switching, level control, gain control, and headphone/speaker/both switching. Not really a pacing item, it's been pretty much hammered every way we can.

So what does this mean? Assuming the metal is right, and there are no transformer surprises, we'll begin production in February. Don't expect shipping immediately afterwards, since we essentially have to set up a "craft build" station specifically for Ragnarok. I wouldn't be surprised if we start shipping by the end of February, but it may slip a couple of weeks. This is a massively complex device, and there still may be some production issues to work through. And, don't be surprised if the stocking status says something like,"Shipping in 7-10 business days after the order is placed." Ragnaroks are going to be perfect, or they won't ship.

Yggdrasil:

1. Metal: resolved with Ragnarok. Or not. We'll see how the first shipment goes.

2. Transformers/chokes: never hummed, not a problem.

3. Digital/DSP section: undergoing revisions for higher performance on the input side (SPDIF and USB) and beginning final code integration on the DSP side.

4. DAC/Analog section: reviewing two candidate approaches for the D/A side of things, and integrating a new "pivot point" current-feedback integrally balanced discrete output stage.

5. Software: operational software is relatively simple; DSP addressed above.

So what does this mean? Take Ragnarok, add 6-8 weeks if all goes well.

And that's where we are right now...

All the best,
Jason Stoddard

-------------------------------------------------
* Jason sidetracked by requests for a hybrid tube/SS version *
6 Jan 14
Making a hybrid Ragnarok is a completely different beast--different transformers, different power supplies, different chassis, different boards (at least in 3 cases.) Don't hold your breath on that one. If it's available by summer, I'd be very surprised. More likely much later.

All the best,
Jason

------------------------------------------------------
12 Feb 14Quick update on Ragnarok: STILL waiting for metal.

Which means the one at the Bay Area meet may still be in unanodized pre-production metal. We'll see--and I'll let you know if the metal that comes in is suitable for shipping when it does.

Please note that metal is not the only gating item—we will need some time for run-up of first articles from the board house, and to work out production snags/final firmware glitches when they're approved (this isn't like our other stuff--it's really almost a craft-build item...a whole different line than everything else.)

I should know more on Yggy soon.

--------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for the size of that post but - trust me - it beats digging through that HF thread. Kudos to Jason for keeping Schiit's customers in the loop.

e1d953a7_ragnarokback.jpeg

Yep, you can run it as a preamp into your existing power amp, in either single-ended RCA or balanced XLR configuration. Party on, AKers :D

Thanks for the info. on this. I haven't kept up with it much at all, so nice to hear it is moving along. By the way-I know I could search, guess I am lazy this morning, but what is the rated output of the beastie? Will be keeping an eye on this if nothing else, for the fun of it. Their products certainly intrigue me, and it is very cool they are made here in the US for a very reasonable price with good build quality as well. Tim

Seems kind of odd that the red RCA plugs are for left and the white ones are for right. I don't think I've ever seen them like that before.

Looking forward to seeing this happen.

Thanks for the info. on this. I haven't kept up with it much at all, so nice to hear it is moving along. By the way-I know I could search, guess I am lazy this morning, but what is the rated output of the beastie? Will be keeping an eye on this if nothing else, for the fun of it. Their products certainly intrigue me, and it is very cool they are made here in the US for a very reasonable price with good build quality as well. Tim
100 watts into 4 ohms.

Thanks Doctor! Wonder if the plug/colors was just due to it being a test/early run unit, but yeah, odd.

Apologies - I should have published the specs I stole from Jason's press release at the start of the thread. As for the RCA plugs, the unit above is - FWIR - the amp Jason took to a recent meeting in SoCal - the main problem I have with Head-Fi showgoers is that many tend to 'love' everything new and shiny. I get that, but it doesn't make it easy to purchase from an internet seller (some b&m dealers carry Schiit Audio gear, but they wont have stock for months IME) based on feedback like this:

I heard the Ragnarok with the Alpha Dog and HD800 at Jason's table. I was very impressed with the sound quality and I'd probably look at the Ragnarok as an all-in-one amp/preamp end all be all of amplifiers. The volume knob had a ton of play and both headphones sounded fantastic through the Ragnarok

Bolding is mine - the rest is from the Schiit press release bar one or two smartypants comments on ETA.

RAGNAROK:

"Ragnarok is the world’s first universal amplifier, fully capable of powering everything from ultra-sensitive IEMs to loudspeakers. With 100WPC RMS into 4 ohms, 3 selectable gains, a relay-switched stepped attenuator volume control, and Crossfet™ circlotron-style output topology, Ragnarok befits its name—in Norse legend, Ragnarok was the “end of the world.”

Power Output: 100W into 4 ohms, 60W into 8 ohms, 15W into 32 ohms, 9.6W into 50 ohms, 1.6W into 300 ohms, 800mW into 600 ohms

Inputs: 2 balanced, 3 single-ended stereo inputs
Outputs: speaker terminals, 4-pin balanced XLR headphone, TRS unbalanced headphone, balanced and unbalanced preamp outs
Gain: selectable gain of 20, 7, or 1

Volume: (64) 1.25dB steps via relay-switched stepped attenuator
Topology: Fully discrete Crossfet™ circlotron-style stage with no caps in the signal path and no DC servos, all solid state
Management: microprocessor control of quiescent current and DC levels, with monitoring of all fault conditions
Power Supply: 400VA transformer with 4 separate circlotron output rails, over 100,000uF filter capacitance total
Size & Weight: 16 x 12 x 3.875”, 30 lbs

Estimated Price & Availability: $1400-1600, late 2013" (OK ...)

YGGDRASIL:

"Yggdrasil is the ultimate expression of Schiit’s bitperfect approach, and the antithesis of noise-shaping DACs and technologies such as DSD. With proprietary technology from input stage to clock regeneration to digital filter to D/A conversion and analog output stage, Yggdrasil (the world tree in Norse legend, and the source of all things) resets the bar for DACs.

Inputs: USB, Toslink, Coax, BNC, AES/EBU
Outputs: balanced XLR and single-ended RCA

Clock Regeneration: proprietary Adapticlock topology with analysis of quality of incoming datastream, as well as VCO and VCXO reclocking
Phase Inversion: selectable via front panel button
Digital Filter: proprietary Schiit closed-form bitperfect digital filter based on <REDACTED>
D/A Conversion: proprietary fully differential configuration based on <REDACTED>
Analog Stage: proprietary Schiit Pivot-Point differential current-feedback topology, fully discrete, with ultra-low-noise JFET and bipolar devices
Power Supply: 4 choke-input, shunt-regulated supplies feeding 20+ stages of discrete and integrated local regulation

Size & Weight: 16 x 12 x 3.875”, 30 lbs

Estimated Price & Availability: $1700-1900, early 2014" (RIGHT ..)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom