Incoming: Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/Preamp for HOW MUCH?!

Dr. Morbius

I.N.T.E.R.O.C.I.T.O.R.
Last month I thought the XDA-2 was very tempting at $299, but for $249?! :yikes:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

I was using my Schiit Bifrost in my main system, but the relays were constantly clicking and it was driving me nuts. The clicking is a known issue and is mentioned on their FAQ page. It doesn't click at all when using the TOSLINK out from my computer so that's its new home. The XDA-2 will replace the V-DAC II in my main system. While I like the V-DAC II, it just doesn't have the weight/fullness of the Bifrost.

I'll try it both as a DAC and a digital preamp and see how I like it best. Man, I sure hope I don't have any problems with this thing. :sigh:

The Bifrost clicks when it is changing between sample rates. That is the DAC muting the output while it switches modes so that it doesn't output noise into the system during the process. They use mechanical relays because they are widely considered superior to the equivalent semi-conductor based solutions, I wouldn't so much call it an "issue" as an intended design. :yes:

I have mine hooked up via optical and it clicks while switching between sample rates. If yours isn't doing that it would lead me to believe that you have it configured to output everything at the same bit depth/sample rate (up/down sampling).

I bet that if they had only included one set of analog inputs they would sell a million of these. The lack of it rules it out for me.

I have two Emotiva XDA-1's, the earlier model, and I like them except for the fact that the volume control is lossy. I don't use it as a pre-amp in one system but I do in another system and that's where I hear the change. The XDA-2 volume control is not lossy so you'll not hear any degradation if you use it as a pre-amp.

My XDA-1's have been in service for almost 3 years and I've had no problem whatsoever with them.

The Bifrost clicks when it is changing between sample rates. That is the DAC muting the output while it switches modes so that it doesn't output noise into the system during the process. They use mechanical relays because they are widely considered superior to the equivalent semi-conductor based solutions, I wouldn't so much call it an "issue" as an intended design. :yes:

I have mine hooked up via optical and it clicks while switching between sample rates. If yours isn't doing that it would lead me to believe that you have it configured to output everything at the same bit depth/sample rate (up/down sampling).
I didn't intentionally configure it to do anything. It clicked before and after the uber upgrade. True, when connected via the TOSLINK when mated to the computer it's silent regardless of sample rate. Wave files, mp2, hi res flac, whatever, there is no clicking. :dunno:

The Bifrost is a great sounding DAC though. I hope the XDA-2 can give it a run for the money.

Last edited:
I have two Emotiva XDA-1's, the earlier model, and I like them except for the fact that the volume control is lossy. I don't use it as a pre-amp in one system but I do in another system and that's where I hear the change. The XDA-2 volume control is not lossy so you'll not hear any degradation if you use it as a pre-amp.

My XDA-1's have been in service for almost 3 years and I've had no problem whatsoever with them.
That's a relief. I've read both good and bad about Emotiva's products so I'm a bit weary of them.

I read about the step ladder volume control. Sounds like a nice feature. I still prefer the tactile feel of an analog volume knob though. I am definitely not going to be selling my Acurus L10 preamp. :no: In fact, I was looking for another one, but they're somewhat hard to find at a decent price.

That's a relief. I've read both good and bad about Emotiva's products so I'm a bit weary of them.

Don't worry, someone will come along shortly to rag on them :D

I've had much the same experience as McFool, and would have no issue with purchasing an XDA-2. I'm interested in your take on how it compares sound wise to the upgraded Schiit.

I've had much the same experience as McFool, and would have no issue with purchasing an XDA-2. I'm interested in your take on how it compares sound wise to the upgraded Schiit.
Yep. I'm surprised he's not chimed in already just to rain on my parade a little bit.

I will definitely post my thoughts after a Bifrost vs. XDA-2 vs. V-DAC II comparo.

By the way, here's a review by Steve Guttenberg on the XDA-2. In no way will I allow the Guttenbergian mindset influence my thoughts on the matter.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-xda-2-usb-dacdigital-preampheadphone-amp

I didn't intentionally configure it to do anything. It clicked before and after the uber upgrade. True, when connected via the TOSLINK when mated to the computer it's silent regardless of sample rate. Wave files, mp2, hi res flac, whatever, there is no clicking. :dunno:

The Bifrost is a great sounding DAC though. I hope the XDA-2 can give it a run for the money.

Oh yeah, it wasn't my intent to be accusatory or anything. Just pointing out that from a purely technical perspective if the Bifrost isn't clicking when changing between source material of differing sample rates, then that is indicative of the output from the computer being set to a specific bit depth/sampling rate as opposed to outputting the source material unmodified.

I, too, have been intrigued by Emotiva gear. The XDA was also on my list of possibilities when I was shopping for a DAC. I have been mulling over giving a pair of their monoblocks a try... :yes:

Oh yeah, it wasn't my intent to be accusatory or anything. Just pointing out that from a purely technical perspective if the Bifrost isn't clicking when changing between source material of differing sample rates, then that is indicative of the output from the computer being set to a specific bit depth/sampling rate as opposed to outputting the source material unmodified.

I, too, have been intrigued by Emotiva gear. The XDA was also on my list of possibilities when I was shopping for a DAC. I have been mulling over giving a pair of their monoblocks a try... :yes:
Do you know of a way I can test the computer's bitrate? I do see differing bitrates when using Foobar and I can tell the difference between a low quality MP3 vs. a high res flac file, but it would be interesting to know the computer's fixed output.

Ahh, never mind. I'll be able to check this when the XDA-2 arrives as it will display native bitrates on the front panel.

Yes, their amps do look inviting. For the present, however, I am content with my Acurus A150 & A250.

Maybe leery but I don't think you meant weary. ;)

The Emotiva issue you hear about, with varying degrees of accuracy, was their initial introduction of the UMC-1 pre-amp/processor. Lots of little bugs that they worked out, eventually. Not the first best effort I've seen but to give Emotiva credit, they extended the warranty, provided free customer returns and worked hard to address the software issues. The very outstanding action they took was to issue to all UMC-1 processor owners a 40% discount card if they wanted to upgrade to the next generation, which is due shortly.

Yup Yup...you can count on it. :D

I have 6 Emotiva amps and 5 of them are monoblocks. Two are their XPA-1's which are rated at 1,000W @ 4 ohms/500W @ 8 ohms, three of them are the UPA-1's rated at 200W @ 4 ohms and the last one is one of their UPA-200, a two channel amp rated at 200W @ 4 ohms / 125W @ 8 ohms X 2 channels (fully driven). I've not had a problem with any of the amps, they do get used and I would not hesitate to purchase them again.

The XDA-2 is a lovely little digital preamp. It's what I use on my main system. Enjoy! Let us know what you think when you get it.

Do you know of a way I can test the computer's bitrate? I do see differing bitrates when using Foobar and I can tell the difference between a low quality MP3 vs. a high res flac file, but it would be interesting to know the computer's fixed output.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "computer's fixed output" bitrate. Do you mean the maximum bit-depth it's able to output digitally (16, 24, 32, etc.), the bitrate of the track (128, 320, 1411, etc) or the sample rate (44.1k, 96k, etc.)?

Either way, as long as you're outputting it digitally, and the cable has enough bandwidth, there's no real limit. There is a limit on what the DAC is able to decode, but as long as you have the DAC for it, you can output a 32 bit, 386kHz, 15,000kbps file, or a DSD 512 (512x the sample rate of CD) file, and everything would work fine.

Windows can limit the bitrate sometimes (the reason we use WASAPI). To see that on Windows 7, right click the speaker icon on the bottom right, click "playback devices", go to the device you are using and hit "properties", then go to the "advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" you will see the bit-depth and sample rate. You can change it. If you don't see any higher res formats, go to the "supported formats" tab and check the boxes on all that apply.

Though really I would recommend just using WASAPI.

Last edited:
The XDA-2 is a lovely little digital preamp. It's what I use on my main system. Enjoy! Let us know what you think when you get it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "computer's fixed output" bitrate. Do you mean the maximum bit-depth it's able to output digitally (16, 24, 32, etc.), the bitrate of the track (128, 320, 1411, etc) or the sample rate (44.1k, 96k, etc.)?

Either way, as long as you're outputting it digitally, and the cable has enough bandwidth, there's no real limit. There is a limit on what the DAC is able to decode, but as long as you have the DAC for it, you can output a 32 bit, 386kHz, 15,000kbps file, or a DSD 512 (512x the sample rate of CD) file, and everything would work fine.

Windows can limit the bitrate sometimes (the reason we use WASAPI). To see that on Windows 7, right click the speaker icon on the bottom right, click "playback devices", go to the device you are using and hit "properties", then go to the "advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" you will see the bit-depth and sample rate. You can change it. If you don't see any higher res formats, go to the "supported formats" tab and check the boxes on all that apply.

Though really I would recommend just using WASAPI.
Read OldSchool's post #9 for clarification. He states my Bifrost doesn't click as it is a constant bitrate feed through the TOSLINK to my Bifrost. Only when there is a change of bitrates do the relays in the Bifrost click. It does this constantly on my Sony DVP-S7000 in my living room, which is why I no longer use the Bifrost in that setup. The clicking drives me nuts.

I'm still using Win XP and cannot use the WASAPI configuration. I followed some of Pandovski's advice on the subject about using a different method for Win XP, however, that only caused massive amounts of static through my system. Since I'm using my computers TOSLINK optical output and not USB, I couldn't get anything to work correctly.

Interestingly, I prefer the sound of the XDA-1 vs the XDA-2. I found the 2 to be noticeably less refined in the top end vs the 1.

I have a pair of UPA-1 monoblocks connected to my speakers, and I went ahead and bi-wired/bi-amped them. The SQ stepped up a notch and tighter. I bought mine used, and I already had an issue with one of the unbalanced connection pulled away from the chassis. Emotiva covered it under warranty. I would definitely recommend Emotiva to anyone.

:music:

Interestingly, I prefer the sound of the XDA-1 vs the XDA-2. I found the 2 to be noticeably less refined in the top end vs the 1.

How does the Emo compare vs say a comparably priced Audio gd

The Darko DAC index rated the Emotiva XDA-1 and the Audio gd here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

"comparably priced", as we all know, is not the true measurement of any equipment and you may be comparing apples to oranges using that criteria.

Specifications can be misleading but are, in general, a better means to measure performance.

But the real test requires listening. What sounds good to you may not sound good to me and vice versa.

I auditioned several DACs then purchased the Emotiva unit based on a combination of those factors. Listening to one was difficult until I made the acquaintance of a local owner.

Were you using the volume control on both models, or did you have it set to full signal to only act as a DAC?

Also, did you have the ASRC on or off on the XDA-2?

Back
Top Bottom