Audio Note Speakers

This is a placeholder for RGA, right?
He makes me want to know more.

First off, are the speakers Audio Note UK or Audio Note Japan?

You are correct.

I also thought that there are probably folks here who would genuinely like to know more about these speakers that Richard loves so much. Here we have an appropriate outlet for that and good place for folks to learn and ask more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard....can you post a picture of your AN-J/SPe on the stands? Do you need the corners of your room for them?

Their availability in this area is terrible, and I couldn't find any online retailers.
Bummer because I like the look and idea of the cheap model (forgot witch one).
I needed something that worked well close to the wall and they are supposed to do that.

Their availability in this area is terrible, and I couldn't find any online retailers.
Bummer because I like the look and idea of the cheap model (forgot witch one).
I needed something that worked well close to the wall and they are supposed to do that.

That's what Forums are for as you may meet someone who owns a pair of something who will let you listen to their gear. I got to hear the Shindo Petrus based on meeting a guy at a store here who introduced me to his friend - spent a few hours drinking tea and listening to the best of Shindo. Arguably this can be better than at a dealer because you're not being sold something and you can listen to it in real world scenario. That said good dealers often have better equipment and set it up to manufacturer desire.

As for availability - it's not a big company - 25 man operation and they make 700 products. I waited 10 months to get my turntable from them. They shut down production if the specific part they want it unavailable. And speakers are not their main business after all. I get a kick out of the fact that speakers are their side thing and they sound better than most speaker makers where it's their only thing.

Thanks Art; great idea starting an AudioNote speakers thread. I've heard AN speakers on several occasions and at times, have loved them. There are not many full-range speakers out there that work well with 300B power level amps in a reasonable sized package for regular sized rooms, but AudioNote has a few options and they can sound great.

Moderator note; I've cleaned up the start of thread that went off in a negative direction so please, keep it on topic.

Thanks.

Audio Note Japan shows with a different brand of speakers - they were bringing prototypes to shows that were letting down their equipment. They quitmaking loudspeakers. They showed with Living Voice's $300kplus loudspeakers in Munich. Some felt it was the best sound at the show. The system was well over a million US so it kinda should be the best sound at the show.

Same technology, better pricing. :music:

If only that were true. Other than general outword appearance - namely the cabinet deminsions - everything else is different. Different woofers, tweeters, cabinet materials, port size/design/number of drivers (The Snell E had a rear firing tweeter), positioning requirements, sensitivity and bass as a result, internal wadding - carted sheep's wool over cheap Dacron used in the Snells. But the Snells are a good platform and sound quite good as second hand buys. And because they sell kit versions of the speakers you could buy the kit parts and replace the Snell parts and you might be getting there.

A while ago I bought a pair of Audio Note AX-2 speakers on the used market for $200. A stupidly good price. It doesn't make sense to sell them for what I could get so I figure they are keepers. Well, I could probably double my money on them now that I think about it. Still, I like having them around...not quite the typical box speaker.

I've been meaning to listen to them again. When I do I'll add my thoughts to this thread and compare them to several other speakers. I know I dig them. For the brief time I had them set up they sounded excellent. I've been on a bit of speaker merry-go-round lately as I figure out what I want so I just haven't given them much time. Generally I prefer a larger driver than 6", but in all honesty the AX-2 performed admirably in my relatively small room.

I've heard Audio Note at the Toronto show and I've always been impressed. A big, full, fun sound...felt like a band was in the room.

Same basic design theory, but 35 years later certainly not the same technology or materials.

Actually the cabinet designs goes back to 1940. They were designed by L.L. Beranek who is mostly known for Opera house designs and his books on acoustics and loudspeakers.

Fusion - The website is misleading. An Audio Note fan actually designed and made the website for Audio Note back in the day. And it stated the AX Two is a free standing near field loudspeaker so I placed them in the traditional free standing position. Put them right up against the wall practically so that the wires as the come out the back are touching the rear wall.

I agree - I prefer a bigger driver in general as well but for a small room they and the KEF LS-50 are quite fine. In a bigger room - bigger speakers are required.

0145-01.jpg

Audio Note J hemp woofers

Richard....can you post a picture of your AN-J/SPe on the stands? Do you need the corners of your room for them?

My AN J's are as close to the corners as possible - much like this.

anjzebrano1.jpg

Pull them out half inch and they boom. In my room it is as hard in corners as you can possibly get them without touching the wall or you have to pull them way out like free standing models as the Hong Kong dealer does here

Audio-Note-AN-E-Alnico.jpg

They're quite room friendly in many ways but they still require work. And preferably the walls behind them are solid (concrete or brick is better than wood plaster which has a tendency to sing along with them in deep bass passages).

Back
Top Bottom