Modern 2-Channel Receiver. $300 max! Would love some help!

aaronmjr

::sarcastic::
Hey guys,

I know my vintage stuff pretty well, but when it comes to the new stuff I have a hard time knowing what's quality and what's marketing.. I'm helping a friend piece together a simple 2-channel setup. I don't know what impedance the speakers are, but here is what I'm looking for:

2-channel (I would think I could get more bang for the buck without all the fancy video features, and 23.1 surround but I'm open to whatever)

100WPC or more. Hopefully more.

Phono jack

at least a couple RCA inputs

$300 max

Any leads would be very awesome!

I would recommend going used. The Outlaw RR2150 is a very nice receiver at it's price point, but it is $700 new. You might get lucky and find a used one around your price point. You can also check out accessories4less. They have a Marantz stereo receiver at $300, but I've never heard it. If your friend is open to integrated amps, more possibilities are opened up.

The Onkyo TX-8020 is available for considerably less than $200 brand new. Only 50 watts per channel, but it has a robust power supply that makes that figure less of a drawback. (You won't find many 100wpc out there new, nor is it really necessary unless you have extremely low efficiency speakers) Worth considering.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Thanks fore the suggestions so far guys. My hang-up on the 100WPC or more, is that modern stuff seems to "cheat" with wattage claims constantly for marketing purposes, so I figure I would err on the side of more. Plus, when you visit Best Buy, or another other ig retailer all of the receivers are like 1200 WATTS! 7000 WATTS! etc. Haha.

I'm not sure there is anything new that does 100wpc and phono for $300. The onkyo mentioned above would be a good choice. A 100wpc receiver will only be 3db louder than it. HK makes an 80 wpc model for just over your budget, you might be able to find it on deal. Good luck.

Thanks fore the suggestions so far guys. My hang-up on the 100WPC or more, is that modern stuff seems to "cheat" with wattage claims constantly for marketing purposes, so I figure I would err on the side of more. Plus, when you visit Best Buy, or another other ig retailer all of the receivers are like 1200 WATTS! 7000 WATTS! etc. Haha.

Depends, AVRs are often rated at 1khz into 8 ohms or max power at 10% distortion so yeah they sort of give their best numbers that don't tell a lot. Just make sure whatever you're looking at is rated 20hz to 20khz at 8ohms with low distortion like less than 1%. That onkyo is a "real" 50 watts, actually more, it's been tested to put out more like 80wpc. Also, another way to tell how powerful something might be is weight and power consumption. If a 100wpc amp is only consuming 180 watts then their claims are bunk, but if its consuming 380 watts then they are probably honest.

Last edited:
Onkyo's step-up 2 channel receiver, the TX-8050, is still available under $300, and has 80 ACTUAL wpc. Onkyo and Harman Kardon have the most honest amp specs around, and usually superior power supplies, too.

The power supply frequently makes the difference between specified power and actual available "oomph". A factory guy told me years ago, "Power is a threat; current is what backs up that threat."

Happy trails,
Larry B.

The Onkyo TX 8050 is also a network receiver... which can be very nice to have for internet radio streaming.

Sherwood has some receivers that are rated at or near 100 watts per channel. I had a couple for awhile and they sounded nice. Lots of inputs and the remote is awesome. Just do a "Sherwood receiver" search on Amazon and you'll see several listed... and the price is about half of your $300 limit.

Yamaha has some receivers worth checking out. If you're looking for top-notch customer service and tech support that's GOOD, look at Crutchfield. Real people answer the phone and their online chat service is excellent. Give them a shot.

. A factory guy told me years ago, "Power is a threat; current is what backs up that threat."

Happy trails,
Larry B.

How true, but specs sell to the unwise public. Sooner or later (meaning cheaper or more expensively as you float around in this hobby) the public figures it out.

If you can get close-outs you will get cheap & a warranty. A few years ago I did this, got a pair of Sherwood (sorry don't remember model) Newcastle something-or-other at well <$300 each (original list was 2x or 3x that) and they worked fine. These were HTR but no law says you have to use all 6 or 8 or whatever channels. This model, in fact allowed you to bi-amp with the proviso that each channel was > 6 ohm load. I'll admit that I haven't researched the 2-channel receiver market in years, but the few models the big box stores carry look like overpriced crap. Even if it is not exactly what you were looking for, a HTR will give the best of competition driving value (and confusing the consumer!) Happy hunting.

Hk3490 on EBay HK page. I got one as a backup piece and its good midfi sound with lots of punch. Otherwise monitor Accessories for less, Vanns, crutcfield, Audio Advisor, Music Direct and the other online sellers for Marantz and yamaha, Cambridge Audio and NAD.

I have an onkyo tx-8511 sitting on the shelf with the remote that works better than OK. Surprisingly good FM tuner. PM if it rings a bell, hope I'm not breaking protocol......

It's neither vintage nor new, somewhere in the middle.

My daughter was using it before I had my Yamaha CR 2020 rebuilt. She still listens to her I-phone with $2 ear buds, am I am failure as a parent??

Product Description
100 Watts/Channel, 0.08% THD
Discrete Output Stage Circuitry
True High-Current, Low Impedance Drive
Multi-room Capability
4 Audio and 2 AV Inputs
Video-1 to Video-2 Dubbing
RI Compatible Full-Featured Remote Control

User Manual PDF http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-8511_manual_e.pdf

Reviews http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/receivers/onkyo/tx-8511/prd_118697_1593crx.aspx

There is no modern amp that puts out 100wpc for $300. Add a Benjamin and you could get a Teac NP-H750 USB DAC/Network Player/Integrated Amp, and it also has a phono preamp. It puts out 40wpc.

This one has picqued my interest on many levels.

I bought the Onkyo TX-8050 as part of an office system a few years ago. It delivers 80wpc @ 8ohms, has a phono input, internet radio, USB input for iDevice, built-in DAC with 4 digital inputs and sounds decent considering it's cheap price of $240. I doubt you'll find something as full featured and as powerful as the Onkyo at this price.

Back
Top Bottom