Replaced my Nikko's lamps with LED's (Pic)

scootchu

Dear Sir or Madman
Had posted this in DIY as a LED question, but I thought I would post a pic here.It's a Nikko STA-6060 receiver that I picked up with a turntable. I really wasn't after this, but I kinda like it.
IMG_3410.jpg

That's nice. I put blue LEDs in an SA-400 technics that I recently fixed. They look cool in the vintage gear for sure. Also run cooler.

Looks great. I am toying with the idea of using leds myself, I may try it and see what happens.

I purchased 100 white LED's with 150ohm resistors for $9 off of Ebay. The seller had them to me in 2 days. Can't beat that!

Do most receiver have AC or DC voltage powering the display lamps? Do you need a diode it it's ac or is the LED enough(since it's a diode). I'm looking to do some Sansui's and a Craig 5501.

Many receivers have AC powering the lamps.

I have put LED's in a few, if you put a regular LED with a resistor, it will work fine, but it will turn on/off 60 times a second. It is visible (to me). I have bought some LED's online that had diodes, a capacitor and resistor all in one package so there was no flicker.

My pioneer recievers have AC powering the tuner lights, and DC for the indicator lights. So it could go either way.

Looks great!

I did a Nikko LED conversion last winter. I used the more common white (has a slight blue hint to it) LED's. Like the above pic, it took away the green tint (from regular bulbs) to the dial display and gave it a nicer blue shade. I like the blue better (like the above pic).

I discovered you getter better diffusion of the LED if you sand the led's and I even ground the cone shap to flat. It makes for a more even distribution of the light. Never did notice the 60hz "flicker" that some have a problem with.

I have been toying with the idea of using the newer style led strips that you can get now. Some are even flexible strips. It increases the possibilities.

I also changed out the orange tuning indicator light for a led. It was not that difficult to do that either.

Once again that looks great. YD

How many mcd (brightness) were the LEDs?

I am contemplating doing a bunch of LEDs for my JVC JR S600. There is about 10 indicator lamps, 8v, 70ma or so.

I am trying to decide which LEDs to use.

Also, how do you know if the current is AC or DC (whether or not to use a diode?)

All hail the mighty light emitting diode! Your receiver looks great. And Yankee Dog, thanks for the ideas of sanding the lens, and using an LED strip. Looks like I just added a couple more projects to the list...

How many mcd (brightness) were the LEDs?

I am contemplating doing a bunch of LEDs for my JVC JR S600. There is about 10 indicator lamps, 8v, 70ma or so.

I am trying to decide which LEDs to use.

Also, how do you know if the current is AC or DC (whether or not to use a diode?)

Your power source for the display lights comes off the transformer and will most likely be AC. No need for diodes. Just find out what the voltage is to the individual bulbs, and use the apropriate resistor on either the positive or negative lead of the new led. A meter will tell you if it is ac or dc, but again, most likely it is ac.

I also bought the leds on ebay. They came with resistors for a 12 volt source to prevent the leds from burning out. I did use different resistors as I think my electrical supply was less than that. Can't remember.

A little experimentation will help. You could even use a bridge diode (rectifier)at the source of your power to the lights if you have the room. Now you will have the dc power. Then figure out what your voltage is after the bridge diode/retifier, then use the apropriate matched resistor.

There are websites that show led circuits, they even have conversion charts to let you plug in a certian supply voltage, your led voltage, etc. It will then compute what value of resistor you will need to use. This link does both, lets you design a series or parrallel circuit, computes the value of resistors, and show the diagram:

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Like I mentioned earlier, the AC flicker is not that bad. It looked a little "fuzzy" with the receiver cover off, but once everything was covered back up, the display looks great. I got a pic somewhere, will try and post it this weekend, but the appearance is very similiar to the original poster's pic.

scootchu, would you have a record of the seller on ebay. An led or white led search on ebay comes up with a lot of flashlights and crap. I have had no luck finding parts dealers.

Never mind!!! I added "resistors" to the search and now i am finding parts. Sorry for the bother.

Sorry I didn't reply quicker. If it helps anyone in the future the seller I bought from is cece718 . They shipped quickly and were to my door in one or two days.

Back
Top Bottom