first infinity Speaker?

If they are original surrounds I'd say their days are numbered. I would keep a close eye on them for any buzzing or distorting in case they're going out of alignment.

Well sofat there is no buzzing or distortion, i tested them with some Bach organ music, as well as some metal, and there was no (well very little distortion) the little that was there comes from my amp and cd player, i tested that with my T1 headphones. The speakers are Cristal clear.

But thanks for the warning! I will keep an eye on the woofers. Hopfully the surounds will last untill i have another pair of infinitys :) (they are kind of addicting as i quickly found out.

that way i will be able to use the new ones until the woofers are refoamed. But that might take a while... First more Power!!

Question for passive biamping these. Do i need to adjust the level of the woofer and mid-high amp separately, if they are identical amps. Or is it enough to just split the output from the preamp to the 2 power amps, and then the speakers to that.

Also are those RS3 in you profile image? They look beautiful! Nice image as well.

Also what difference would using spikes do to the sound? I got some with the speakers, but have not used them. Are there any sonic advantages?

Last edited:
The kappa woofers (at least on my 6.1's) have a pretty rigid spider suspension so even if the foam has degraded it would probably be difficult for it to scrape.

Hah thanks, yeah avatar is my RS-IIIa. They've been out of rotation for some time now while I mess about with the electrostats.

Speaker spikes shouldn't make any difference in sound, mostly just stability on the carpet. That's a subject of debate for some people though. Wouldn't hurt to try them. I like the aesthetics of spikes personally. If you move them a lot though they can really interfere, cause damage and be bent themselves.

For biamping I have no experience at all.

I can't believe that EMITS could suck up much more than 2 watts each.

Based on my knowledge about physics, i can say, they will require more then 2W. Well sort of...

All speakers rely on the Lorentz force, the only 2 variables that effect the force are Current, and the Field strength of the magnetic field. Also the force is proportional stronger the more windings are in the the field.

Normal tweeters have quite a few windings, as far as i know. But the EMIT do not.
Also the amps output power is Voltage and Current, not just current or voltage. so 1W on one amp dose not equal the same force on the speaker, as another amp.

Thats probably why the EMIT's want more power then other tweeters.

If anything in the above is wrong, pleas feel free to correct me, i am just human, thus i am prone to mistakes.

Based on my knowledge about physics, i can say, they will require more then 2W. Well sort of...

All speakers rely on the Lorentz force, the only 2 variables that effect the force are Current, and the Field strength of the magnetic field. Also the force is proportional stronger the more windings are in the the field.

Normal tweeters have quite a few windings, as far as i know. But the EMIT do not.
Also the amps output power is Voltage and Current, not just current or voltage. so 1W on one amp dose not equal the same force on the speaker, as another amp.

Thats probably why the EMIT's want more power then other tweeters.

If anything in the above is wrong, pleas feel free to correct me, i am just human, thus i am prone to mistakes.

According to Arnie, each EMIT can easily dissipate more than 30 w RMS...

See pages 5-7 on the QLS white paper here (the whole paper is an excellent read IMO):
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=8734879&postcount=6

Back
Top Bottom