speaker gods be praised

budd

"Turn it to 11"
I found a coffee table at the "sally anne " that is a 48"x48"x24" box of 3/4" plywood for 20 bucks b ut I see a cool sub project. I get home and a buddy has left this cv speaker with a note saying " found it in a car at work thought you could use it" :banana: I love it when a plan comes together:D

Attachments

• 20150504_120735.jpg
    20150504_120735.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 20150504_120940.jpg
    20150504_120940.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 266
I found a coffee table at the "sally anne " that is a 48"x48"x24" box of 3/4" plywood for 20 bucks b ut I see a cool sub project. I get home and a buddy has left this cv speaker with a note saying " found it in a car at work thought you could use it" :banana: I love it when a plan comes together:D
Those Karma Gods. Work in mysterious ways, they do.

"Found it in a car"? Did you clean off the broken glass? :lmao:

Last edited:
I cant find to much info on this driver, will it make a good sub? And can I mount it face down? The coffee table is on 6" legs and I will be porting all 4 sides. I still have to buy some tools so this will take awhile and is still mostly in my head ( now theres a big empty space in need of treaments:D) I will post pics as things progress. Thanks in advance for all the help I am going to ask for:D

car subs only seem good for about 35hz in a home environment. without specs you just end up wasting time and materials. do you have bassbox or something? you could get the PE DATs and measure that woofer, then you could used it for any fun projects you might have in the future. i used the bassbox when it first came out in demo mode, pretty impressive imo. i never needed it though because i had gotten my Carver ALS..

"Woofer" lol, I guess that makes it easy when the speakers break apart in the frat house and they have to put the Cerwin Vegas back together again.

Check the Cerwin Vega website, or even call their tech support line, they will be able to give you the specs for the driver.

You should also discuss with them the dimensions of the box you are planning to use, they can help you decide on the port diameter and length if you can use one or more in that size box.

If the specs call for a smaller enclosure you can take up some internal space with foam blocks to reduce the overall space the driver will "see".

Facing down will work, try to keep the distance from the driver to the ground as close to half the diameter of the driver or more. A 12" driver should be at least 6" from the closest reflective surface.

Stuffing a speaker in a box is no guarantee of good performance. Best results are obtained by having the proper sized enclosure and ports.

From discussion in Parts Express Techtalk, this woofer was used in Prostax series PSX-153.

Specs from the Prostax Operation Manual show 40Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB) frequency response for that model.

40 Hz isn't particularly low for a 15" sub (which this driver was not intended to be) but maybe you can tune your much larger cabinet to bring it down some.

The Techtalk thread features some measurements -- and possibly TS specs -- which might be useful.

good idea

Check the Cerwin Vega website, or even call their tech support line, they will be able to give you the specs for the driver.

You should also discuss with them the dimensions of the box you are planning to use, they can help you decide on the port diameter and length if you can use one or more in that size box.

If the specs call for a smaller enclosure you can take up some internal space with foam blocks to reduce the overall space the driver will "see".

Facing down will work, try to keep the distance from the driver to the ground as close to half the diameter of the driver or more. A 12" driver should be at least 6" from the closest reflective surface.

Stuffing a speaker in a box is no guarantee of good performance. Best results are obtained by having the proper sized enclosure and ports.
I didnt about the tech line thanks I will give them a call.

Yeah, that's a woofer from a PA cabinet.

The problem with using that as a subwoofer- is that even if you figure out how to make it get low, it will not have enough excursion capacity to move much air, before it starts to distort. The voice coil winding is not very long on those (it doesn't need to be in a PA speaker, where they main speakers are usually used with subwoofers)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Been there.....

1499488_10151786979336076_1061072500_n.jpg

902392_10151786978996076_614054278_o.jpg

Well, it's a JBL 18" 2242 driver in a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 25 Hz. I had to move it from it's original location but in a word.....authoritive.

Last edited:
Well, it's a JBL 18" 2242 driver in a 9 cubic foot box tunes to 25 Hz. I had to move it from it's original location but in a word.....authoritive.
25hz, nice!! I think I will use what I have untill I can get a better driver. Let me tell you its sure hard sitting and stareing at it. I can hardly wait to start the build:dammit:

Ha ha. I love these kinds of projects. I bet you can't wait!

For me it's always about finding the time.

Good luck,

W

Ha ha. I love these kinds of projects. I bet you can't wait!

For me it's always about finding the time.

Good luck,

W
time I have, tools I dont but I will be fixing that in a couple weeks. Then its off to the races as they say:banana:

Back
Top Bottom