Non Bassy Bookshelf Speakers

Moby2

Seeking suggestions on non-bassy (but not tinny sounding either) bookshelf speakers that emphasize mid-range and highs. I don't listen to music that has a lot of bass, but rather adult contemporary, classical and vocalists. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V870.Currently using B&W DM100 and think they emphasize bass too much.

I read the popular Pioneer BS22's aren't good for mid-range and highs and aren't in the same league as the B&WDM100s.

Wharfedale's diminutive Achromatic WA-S2 model, can soak up power, sound great.

A used pair of Optimus LX-5 do well with wall placement and may surprise you with their SQ. Pair in Bartertown now.

Avoid ports, obviously.

I like Paradigm Atoms, relatively inexpensive small speakers with no midbass bump to try and subvert the laws of physics.

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

Epi bookshelf speakers are exactly what you're asking for, try a pair of m50,m60, or m70's same drivers and tweeters just different encloseures.

Boston Acoustics A40s are great bookshelf speakers. Well balanced, not too bassy, and nice midrange and highs from the dome tweeter. Gave a pair to a friend and am still kicking myself for doing so.

This might be flame-bait, but I have a pair of Bose 201 Series III speakers that sound like what you're after. The 301 is fairly similar.

Got a set of polk audio RT25i bookshelves that sound very natural and are not bass heavy. These may work for you.

Polk bookshelfs and Pioneer BS22s...

Got a set of polk audio RT25i bookshelves that sound very natural and are not bass heavy. These may work for you.

I can vouch also for the Polk Audio speakers. There are numerous Polk bookshelf speakers for you to choose from. The Polk 'bay store has some very good deals on brand new bookshelf speakers... take a look. Polk RT55i, Monitor 40, Monitor 45B... many others.

Those Pioneer BS22s have gotten praise from just about everyone who has listened to them. Depending on your price range, these would be hard to beat for their price.

I agree with Boston A40 and also Pinnacle PN-5+

There are numerous speakers available for your needs. You could join BT as a subscriber and post a WTB, then you'll know the pricing on what is offered!

Good Luck!!

Is my Yamaha RX-V870 considered warm or bright and should I be looking for a speaker that is warm to bright to match this receiver if I am after a non-bassy sound? In reading reviews of speakers, I often see these words used.

Choosing speakers is worse than choosing house paint because you can't buy an 8oz tester.

Look for some vintage Gale speakers, or Linn Saras or Audio Physic bookshelf speakers

Back
Top Bottom