Small speakers for a 12v system.

zinnah

When I camp with my friends we require music, we have been doing this for 28 years and our systems continue to evolve, from tape decks and now cds and and computer files. We have also found the best amplification for our needs is to use an after market 12v automobile cd deck with inputs for other media. They are cheap, powerful, very compact, run on a deep cycle battery for 10 days with no recharging and are disposable. They bounce around in in tool boxes and are subject to weather and drunks so they last 1-3 seasons. We usually bring a spare so the music does not stop if somebody cross polarizes the connections. Our current connection system is semi idiot/drunk proof so this happens less frequently.

Speakers have undergone a similar evolution, various 6x9 coaxials and others have been used in in my shop built boxes. Last season I tried some Dayton B652 speakers I had laying around and they were better than the coaxials I was using, smaller and with better bass and detail. I know this is a low bar, but I am considering upgrading this season.

Thinking about the Dayton B652 with amt tweeter, Mica MB42x. Size matters as like to keep them under 12", price matters as they are not used frequently and they will get abused so $100 plus minus is the goal. The Pioneer Pioneer SP-BS22-LR are possible, but they are a larger than I prefer, but still possible. Craig's List has not worked with this criteria and I am tired of looking but a pair of Monitor Audio Silvers popped up which could work if they can gotten cheap enough. Any wisdom?

I am actually amazed there is not more discussion on this topic as I sometimes use this system as a semi portable system, though people raise their eyebrows when I lug a huge battery into an event or to a picnic.

Since you're planning to use it while camping you need something durable.
Maybe something like Yamaha outdoor speakers. Usually below your budget on CL.

I have done a couple of installations with Yamaha outdoor speakers and they were always enthusiastically received. Clean sound, good bass, large power handling (if clean)

My situation was similar, but a little different. I recently put together a system for my boat using a TPA 3116 based amp I put together. I found a pair of ADD L300's in teak, which will sound and look great. This is for inside the cabin use only, however.The ADS 200's and 300's are small and well regarded. Then there is the Minimus 7, also praised, though I have never heard them. Both the ADS and the Realistics come in various cabinet finishes which might suit your rugged use better than teak.

A friend of mine used an old car radio with a 12V battery for his garage system. Sounded pretty darn good I must admit.
I think an outdoor speaker is the way to go for your situation, but as far as brand and model I'm totally clueless, sorry.

I'll have to take a look at outdoor speakers, I always thought they were the poor stepchild of speakers. Also most seem to require some sort of mounting bracket, we just put them on a table, a stump, or a rock so I need a flat bottom. We create sort of a moving sweet spot. We actually have a pretty good record of protecting the speakers from the elements.

Back
Top Bottom