The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker has ended my search.

Hanleyster

ambitious but rubbish
I have been searching, buying and selling many bookshelf sized speakers for the sole purpose of music/TV/movies in my bedroom.

These win hands down, and I have had a lot of speakers come through.

I have the orange tweeter version, which are probably why they are great for spoken word in TV/Movies. I have heard the green tweeters are less forward.

The bass though.. my goodness. What sort of witchcraft is going on inside these things? You do not need a subwoofer with these speakers, and that is saying a lot since they are pretty small.

I just watched the latest X-Men movie and it sounded like I was front row of an IMAX theater. The bass is thunderous and deeeeep.

I highly recommend these!! They are nice and small, not much effort required to move them around with you. I have had huge floorstanding 10" woofer speakers with 1/4 the bass response.

p.s. I am using a pretty normal Yamaha Home theater receiver that has a 4 ohm switch on the back. I don't find myself having to turn the volume up any more then 8 ohm speakers I have had. Doesn't run too hot or anything like that.

Haven't heard them, but they get high marks here on the forum. Hope to hear some some day.
Pics please.

Couldn't agree more on the incredible quality of the sonics these little gems are capable of. Mine are hooked up to an Advent 300 and sound great. Recently hooked them up to a Sansui AU-355A and they sounded even better. These are staying with me for life.

I agree that they are good quality speakers.

In addition, I also suspect that you found a speaker which produces a SQ you really like for that specific placement in that specific room. I've had the same experience with the Paradigms in my bedroom - I've heard them in other rooms over the years and liked the sound fine, but they are special now in this spot in this room. Great combo when it happens, so congrats. Enjoy!

I wouldn't part with mine for any other set of speakers. The bass is incredible, well defined while the mids-highs are amazing. You DON'T need a subwoofer with these loudspeakers.

I had the Original Large Advents from the 70's-mid-90's. They were the best speakers I had ever owned. The first time I heard the Smaller Advent loudspeakers was in the late 70's. A friend of my wife had us over for drinks I think and she had the Smaller Advents going and I kept thinking "Wow those sound great!" Well, I didn't know about speaker re-foaming in the early 90's and I tossed my Original Large Advents and tried a pair of Polk (I think it was the T15's) I then purchased a sub-woofer (can't remember the manufacturer) to help with the anemic bass response.

Then I got sold them and found a pair of The Original Smaller Advent Loudspeakers on eBay I think. I was amazed! I had them re-foamed by a company somewhere in the south and they did a great job re-foaming the woofers. I live in a small apartment and these guys really sing. It's due to all of my components working together. I'm lucky!

Enjoy

They were one of Henry Kloss's favorite designs. In one of his last interviews in Audio magazine he said he still listens to them.

The bass was claimed to have the same response as the Advent Loudspeaker by making it 3db less efficient in a cabinet half as large.

An 8" woofer has better dispersion in the cross-over region than the 10" of the original. (My guess is this is the reason some folks like it so much.)

I've owned the small and OLA's at the same time. I've posted the link a LONG time ago about how the OLA's were designed to mimic a certain row in a Boston venue listening to the Philharmonic. I've done A/B comparison with the small/OLA's. The OLA's had a slight advantage in the bass exension, which is understandable considering the cabinet size difference, but it wasn't much of a difference. Highs were identical of course. Both good speakers, both beautiful designs.

my regret was that i never bought a pair. i kept trying to build huge t-lines and BR boxes back in those days. they were one of the best buys in HiFi ever.

I just got my first pair about a month ago - they've been in my condo with neighbors and my Advent 300 so I haven't been able to really fire 'em up, but they sound good so far. Looking forward to comparing them to the OLAs.

my regret was that i never bought a pair. i kept trying to build huge t-lines and BR boxes back in those days. they were one of the best buys in HiFi ever.

You can find them on eBay.:thmbsp: I see them all the time. I've been tempted to get an extra pair, thinking I'd just have the drivers and the crossover shipped in order to have a backup in case one or both of mine failed but I haven't done that yet.

You can find them on eBay.:thmbsp: I see them all the time. I've been tempted to get an extra pair, thinking I'd just have the drivers and the crossover shipped in order to have a backup in case one or both of mine failed but I haven't done that yet.

my wife would not like it if i got them. just spent $$ on bedroom system.

maybe some time though...

Just found a pair in great condition for $15.

I ordered new foam, as the foams were rotted, and they are waiting to be repaired. Can't wait til I have time to repair them and plug them into the system.

Back
Top Bottom