Bought the Olympus PEN E-PL1 body...need a lens

Tapehead47

Addicted Member
It's being shipped right now. $149. Read many good reviews on it.

BUT....

I would like a suggestion for a lens. It's been years since I bought a lens and went to B&H Photo and was blown away at the prices!

I'd like a used 50mm prime lens, maybe an f:1.4. Had one on my OM-1 and it's a piece of work. Hey, do you think that old SLR lens would fit the E-PL1? Probably not. I've never seen a 4/3 format camera in person and I imagine they are rather small.

Anyway, just trying to venture in to the DSLR universe. My 2 Lumix P&S cameras are great but I want to get serious. Yet do not want to lug around a backpack full of gear like my daugher does with her Cannon 7D system.

Yes, virtually all SLR lenses will work, with inexpensive adapters. The registration distance on u4/3 is much shorter than on most SLRs. The down side is they'll be manual focus, and the focal length will be effectively doubled, due to the crop factor, so a 50mm lens is effectively a 100mm.

My current favorite MF lens is a Pentax 50mm f/1.7, but I understand that vintage Konica Hexanon 40mm lenses are particularly nice due to their sharpness, small size and relatively short adapters.

For a walk-around AF lens, I like the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 (bought mine refurbished), and the Panny 20mm is reported to be excellent.

Yes, virtually all SLR lenses will work, with inexpensive adapters. The registration distance on u4/3 is much shorter than on most SLRs. The down side is they'll be manual focus, and the focal length will be effectively doubled, due to the crop factor, so a 50mm lens is effectively a 100mm.

My current favorite MF lens is a Pentax 50mm f/1.7, but I understand that vintage Konica Hexanon 40mm lenses are particularly nice due to their sharpness, small size and relatively short adapters.

For a walk-around AF lens, I like the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 (bought mine refurbished), and the Panny 20mm is reported to be excellent.

thanks, chicks. Gives me a place to start! 17mm f/2.8 would equate to 34mm? I prefer wide angle vs. tele. Just gotta put more legwork into a shot.

557580_3769251800799_1561856456_33097058_1764680146_n.jpg

Konica UC Hexanon AR 28mm F1.8 (ebay offers mean prize 600$ - crazy...) is at the moment my standard on it. The adaptor I bought is not good, but I can tune it to be better. The 28mm acts on the Pen like a ~56mm (cropfactor x2), is ultrasharp and turns out to have a minimal distance of a few inches because of the adaptor. I could shoot the Iris of an eye with it...only issue... I hate working with display (horrible in lots of light situations) and the (optional) viewfinder is no use with manual lens.

some pix done w/Pen EP-1 and this lens.

558359_3641997059510_1561856456_33041547_2090498738_n.jpg

526006_3641999219564_695891246_n.jpg

554287_3642001939632_1561856456_33041562_20829901_n.jpg

551067_3641055715977_1561856456_33040705_32332863_n.jpg

547221_3641056195989_1561856456_33040706_1563094453_n.jpg

Taking pictures with the Pen I found that I still love square pictures like I did when I was young student w/my 6x6 Pentacon
So... the µ4/3 are the ONLY digital cams I can use my Hexanons on... that's why I love it, with all the problems coming with it :)
just imagine the 300mm 4.5 on it... turning to a 600mm

@TO: if your preferences are wide angles, buying original lens would be best. U won't find a good cheap 17mm for use as 35mm on the pen. Using manual lens is fun, but finicky in more then 50% of every light situation, u can forget a viewfinder and working like this will slow you down like u would shoot in the '50s

Last edited:
Check the local pawn shops. It seems that I always see a lot of Olympus lens in the cases. It will need an adapter for the conversion. If like Canon you will also lose auto focus and metering.

Last edited:
You can pick up a refurb'd Oly 17mm f/2.8 for $160 shipped at Cameta Camera, or sometimes via Oly's website.

Dynaco, I'm drooling over that Hexanon, and your photos show that u4/3 gives up nothing but bulk compared to a DSLR.

The VF-2 EVF is perfect for use with MF lenses on sunny days, though a bit pricey. Join one of the u4/3 forums to pick up a used one - lots of folks selling them to afford the new OM-D.

Last edited:
Not to threadjack, but:

I'd be interested if anyone can provide some more research links on these
4/3 format cameras?

I searched AK using the AK search and nothing comes up ( a flaw in the search tool, as I know these have come up before).

Looking to upgrade from a P&S Canon Powershot SX110IS, which is a good camera for what it is.

Not sure a full blown DSLR is a good choice for a family camera with several users.

In particular Chicks had posted some info in another thread about using this particular camera body w/ old lenses; I have some old Konica & Pentax lenses from film cameras.

Wondering if I might be able to stiill use those lenses.

Thanks

Check the local pawn shops. It seems that I always see a lot of Olympus lens in the cases. It will need an adapter for the conversion. If like Canon you will also lose auto focus and metering.
Good idea. I forgot about pawn shops.
I have a Panasonic LUMIX Micro 4/3 camera and I use a Olympus 50mm lens from my OM-2n with an adaptor. Works just fine.
I remember you buying a Lumix 4/3, which is what I originally wanted but opted for the Oly at $149.

557580_3769251800799_1561856456_33097058_1764680146_n.jpg

Konica UC Hexanon AR 28mm F1.8 (ebay offers mean prize 600$ - crazy...) is at the moment my standard on it. The adaptor I bought is not good, but I can tune it to be better. The 28mm acts on the Pen like a ~56mm (cropfactor x2), is ultrasharp and turns out to have a minimal distance of a few inches because of the adaptor. I could shoot the Iris of an eye with it...only issue... I hate working with display (horrible in lots of light situations) and the (optional) viewfinder is no use with manual lens.
Hmmm, in my haste I forgot about the lack of a viewfinder. Somehow I'll adapt to using the screen. Great photos, too!

Taking pictures with the Pen I found that I still love square pictures like I did when I was young student w/my 6x6 Pentacon
So... the µ4/3 are the ONLY digital cams I can use my Hexanons on... that's why I love it, with all the problems coming with it :)
just imagine the 300mm 4.5 on it... turning to a 600mm

@TO: if your preferences are wide angles, buying original lens would be best. U won't find a good cheap 17mm for use as 35mm on the pen. Using manual lens is fun, but finicky in more then 50% of every light situation, u can forget a viewfinder and working like this will slow you down like u would shoot in the '50s
my preference isn't wide angles, but I prefer them over telephotos. And I don't want a zoom for once. Will bring me back to the old manual focus days, which is a good thing.

You can pick up a refurb'd Oly 17mm f/2.8 for $160 shipped at Cameta Camera, or sometimes via Oly's website.

Dynaco, I'm drooling over that Hexanon, and your photos show that u4/3 gives up nothing but bulk compared to a DSLR.

The VF-2 EVF is perfect for use with MF lenses on sunny days, though a bit pricey. Join one of the u4/3 forums to pick up a used one - lots of folks selling them to afford the new OM-D.
If I find a lens to be comfortable with I've decided not to be concerned with auto focus.

Not to threadjack, but:

I'd be interested if anyone can provide some more research links on these
4/3 format cameras?

I searched AK using the AK search and nothing comes up ( a flaw in the search tool, as I know these have come up before).

Looking to upgrade from a P&S Canon Powershot SX110IS, which is a good camera for what it is.

Not sure a full blown DSLR is a good choice for a family camera with several users.

In particular Chicks had posted some info in another thread about using this particular camera body w/ old lenses; I have some old Konica & Pentax lenses from film cameras.

Wondering if I might be able to stiill use those lenses.

Thanks

Exactly my situation (except it won't be a family camera)

Back in the '60's, I had a Konica rangefinder with a 50 or 55mm Hexanon lens that was the sharpest lens I've ever owned, and I've owned at least 30.

Konica Rangefinder with a 50mm? except the Konica I, II, III (which had 50 3.5) - no

Auto S 47mm f/1.9
Auto S2 45mm f/1.8
Auto S3 43mm f/1.8

EE-Matic 42mm f/2.8

C35 38mm f2.8
C35V 38mm f2.8

Konica Auto S2 was sharp as all hell. Loved mine. Didn't have a strap on it, fell from my hands. Miss it thusly. Made some nice images on her. Konica glass was superb. Their film was good and cheap too.

Yes, I'm using a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 from an old ME Super. You can purchase inexpensive Chinese adapters here: http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/ Just be aware that they're not super precision, so they will focus past infinity, a bit of a pain, but you will pay a lot more for better-made adapters.

Here's the best resource on the web for u4/3:

http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php

Wow - I have a collection of lenses from my old ME-Super -
even a couple of long telephotos ...
... so this is a good digital camera to get to put them back in use?

I bought the body at Cameta. Will check with them as the price you quoted seems reasonable. Nothing against refurbs!!

Got the camera via Fedex today. A fellow AKer is sending me his old lens which has been out of service for awhile. Looking forward to the mating-up!

Back
Top Bottom