Cart suggestions for Techics 1200 mk2

Ricplaya

I like my vintage gear, but I got tired of always fussing with something so I decided on a mint 1200 mk2. The cart it had somehow got broken by one of the kiddos, that being said I wasn't all that thrilled with it anyway. I believe it was a AT.

I have done a few searches and I am still confused. Anyway my weakness is turntables and I am somewhat lost when it comes to which cart/headshell config to go with. Floating, fixed, what design etc etc ???.....very confused. Right now it has the stock head shell.

I mostly listen to jazz, old R&B/Soul/Funk. I am looking for something that is rich and detailed with good lows, punchy mids, and smooth highs. I definitely know I need to upgrade the turntable mat which is a must.

I run the turntable into a 2270 Marantz, use different speakers (right now have some EPI M150's hooked up). And my budget is flexible, lets say 300-500 range. Thanks in advance!

Here are my favorite carts for the Technics - in order:

Grado Ref Master MI - 1K - over your budget

KAB Ortofon ProS30 - all in one - no headshell - no setup - just plug in and run (MM) - in your budget - My second favorite

DV 10X5 - HiOutput MC - Tied with #2

Precept 200 (not available) 3rd

AT 440mla 3rd

I'd check out that KAB ProS30 - just a wonderful cart. kabusa.com

Good luck!

Grado uses that TT as their test bed workhorse.. Just saying :)
Also you might get surprising upgrade from a bespoke Phono preamp.. More than from a cart, at least untill the Phono amp is as good as it can be.
One can spend Several times your budget for one OR DIY assemble any one of a half dozen.. Proven.. Simply outstanding Phono designs..at half your budget, or less (Google for 'em)

I use an Audio Technica AT150MLX with my modded SL 1200 MKII and love it. Sansui 2000X receiver/Grado SR325is cans straight into the 'sui.

Have a Nagaoka 200 from Turntableneedles and love it. Mid 300s and sports a boron cantilever found in higher end MM carts. Also believe it's returnable if it doesnt suit. Have an 1800MK2

I use an ortofon bronze which is a tad on the bright side, but I like it nevertheless.

I second the KAB USA Ortofon all in one. I've never heard it before, but Kevin at KAB knows his sh*t :yes:

Those KAB Carts are interesting. Also read about a Stanton model. Has anyone compared the KAB carts they offer?

I love my Nagaoka 500! I would bet the 110 and 200 are very worthy in their price ranges as well.

Why not match it with a Technics cartridge, EPC 205 MM series or MC 300 series, nice examples can still be found within your budget.

I used an Ortofon MC-10 cart on my Technics SL-1200's. Always sounded excellent,also great value for money.

I love Ortofons, but stay away from the 2m series.all too bright and lacking mids, in my opinion.its a great deck.some say non audiofile caliber, but I disagree.i prefer watching the mechanics of it.with a good cart and mods, really gives my rega a run.incredible anti howl feedback, superior to the denon decks ive had.

If you do not mind looking a at30he, if you want it now a at150mlx with bugle2 phono pre was really nice. The 150mlx is very alignment dependent. Once aligned properly though I liked it as much as a mp-500. I got mine from 2juki for $298 new which wasn't to horribly long ago. Bugle 2 is reasonably affordable as well. Good stuff.

Shure V15 III with Ed Saunders stylus (the real Ed stylus that is). Been very pleased with this combo.

I am a little intimidated with aligning carts, never done it before...which is why the KAB Ortofon is something I'm considering. That being said if another cart is that much more sonically superior then it's something I would consider.

I have been also looking at preamps. Was looking at the Bugle or Cornet3. That will be my next purchase once I get the cart sorted out.

Btw...thanks everyone for the responses. All very helpful in my research!

I am a little intimidated with aligning carts, never done it before...which is why the KAB Ortofon is something I'm considering. That being said if another cart is that much more sonically superior then it's something I would consider.

I have been also looking at preamps. Was looking at the Bugle or Cornet3. That will be my next purchase once I get the cart sorted out.

Btw...thanks everyone for the responses. All very helpful in my research!

I highly doubt you would find something sonically "majorly" superior - you may find something that sounds a bit different perhaps a bit better - but really it will not be a night and day difference - it will be very subtle - that is my experience with it. Like I said - it is up there with my Grado and my DV - very subtle differences.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom