The Basic Turntable Setup Video - a new version

arcorob

Addicted Member
Hello,

Based on alot of great feedback, I have revised the original and created a new and improved version (no background music, better audio and better close-ups)

It is geared toward beginners and by demonstrating, makes it easier to perform the steps than just reading about them.

Thanks to all again for the feedback and the video is her --) Basic Turntable Setup

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and posted this to another vinyl forum I frequent. Hopefully this answers some questions that get asked far too often.

Hope you don't mind but I posted this to my FB wall. Cool tutorial!!

Last edited:
To all

Thank you for the great feedback. thanks to all who taught me and thanks to the moderator who made this a sticky....

That's a real service. Much better than Michael Fremer's embarrassingly amateurish DVD.

And a real service too. Seems most, if not all, the TT set up videos on YouTube are by and for DJs.

:thmbsp:

Very glad this is a sticky. I'll definitely have to come back to it someday when I upgrade from my current setup to something a bit more sophisticated. Thanks for taking time to go through all of that.

No problem...

Very glad this is a sticky. I'll definitely have to come back to it someday when I upgrade from my current setup to something a bit more sophisticated. Thanks for taking time to go through all of that.

It was my pleasure..so many people ask that basic setup question and so much easier to WATCH than to read...Glad to be of help

nice job arcorob.
The stroboscope is a non issue?
Turn the dial till the larger light for the 33 rpms is steady and I'm good to go?

hello

nice job arcorob.
The stroboscope is a non issue?
Turn the dial till the larger light for the 33 rpms is steady and I'm good to go?

Not 100% sure of your question but let me say

US uses 60hz. Generally a strobe has markings that say
50hz 33
60hz 33
50hz 45
60 hz 45

SO watching the strobe, you would be watching the 2nd band from the top. If it seems to be steady (not walking in a direction) you are good.

If it is "walking" you adjust the pitch control to lock it in. it should usually be a very FINE adjustment. Sometimes to lock it in perfect you have to just barely touch the pitch control.

Does this help ?

Yes that helps.That has been what I was doing but wanted to hear if from the source.
Thank you.

Great video! The only thing I would add would be a special emphasis on having a level turntable with a quality level. I've been bitten by this more than I can say (usually because I got in a rush) and a bubble level has never gotten it close enough. If gravity AND antiskating are both pulling your arm your stylus has a big problem that can show up in harshness, sibilance and a lack of clarity in voices. And don't check it with a record on the platter, ever. It's amazing the small almost undetectable warps in the best of records that will throw your level off. After everything else is setup and adjusted and you're ready to put it where you'll be keeping it for listening, that's when I remember that coach I had so long ago asking me "What's the first thing you do before you plug one thing in?" DOH!

Hello,

Based on alot of great feedback, I have revised the original and created a new and improved version (no background music, better audio and better close-ups)

It is geared toward beginners and by demonstrating, makes it easier to perform the steps than just reading about them.

Thanks to all again for the feedback and the video is her --) Basic Turntable Setup

SUPERB VIDEO ROB!

Required viewing for all novice analog-ists.

Back
Top Bottom