Finally Scored

Killer Fox

I just picked up 2 turntables that an acquaintance had in her basement. A Pioneer PL-5 and a Technics SL-D30. $40 for both. The Technics needs cartridge and the Pioneer needs a needle. The Technics has no dust cover. It was kept in a cabinet.

Oh and she threw in these Led Zeppelin and Dead Albums. Most of them NM vinyl. Covers vary.

20141029_134158_resized.jpg

The first one I want to get up and running is the Technics. What cartridge/stylus would you recommend for this? I'm looking for the best value that sounds good. What else can you tell me about it by looking at the photo? It's been so long (over 30 years) I don't even know what to look for.

20141029_133039_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Your cartridge options are limited to p-mounts with the Technics. Your list of options are here. I would only assume that as price goes up, so does quality. I have no experience with p-mounts.

Nice score on the records!

Hey whadda know.....My neighbor heard I was getting back into vinyl and just showed up on my doorstep to give me this one for free.

Hitachi HT-1

Tonearm says "Gimbal Suspension Straight Tonearm"

Empire LTD 480 cartridge, no needle.

Anybody have info on this TT?

20141029_144056_resized.jpg

Was just offered a Dual 1257 for $50 in "good condition" (haven't seen it).

I guess the flood gates have opened. LOL

The AT 92 ECD is a great starter cart and you can upgrade the stylus later if you wish. Don't let the cost fool you it is much better than it's price point.

Well, all three of these TTs have issues.

The Pioneer spins super fast.

The Technics the arm won't move over and drop.

The Hitachi.... nothing happening

I guess now I need to learn how to repair and service these things. It can't be that hard.

The Pioneer might be the easiest fix so maybe I should start there.

Last edited:
The Pioneer is spinning really fast. Anybody know what could be the cause?

Here it is

20141029_161957_resized.jpg

If it's spinning at faster than 45RPM, it's probably a bad component on the motor control board or a bad board. This wouldn't be an easy fix.

The Technics, even though it's a "lowly P-mount", is actually quite a good turntable. It deserves a good cartridge. If it's within the budget (which is what, by the way?), the Grado with upgrade stylus is an excellent choice. The cheap AT92ECD is also quite good, despite the price, but not in the same league as the Grado.

There are others worth considering, especially if you're open to the idea of a used cartridge and a new replacement stylus, either original or aftermarket. For instance, there's the Technics EPC-P series, one of which would have been original equipment on the SL-D30.

By the way, the Empire on the Hitachi's pretty nice. Maybe a new stylus for that and then put it on the Technics?

John

Well, all three of these TTs have issues.

The Pioneer spins super fast.

The Technics the arm won't move over and drop.

The Hitachi.... no power.

I guess now I need to learn how to repair and service these things. It can't be that hard.

The Pioneer might be the easiest fix so maybe I should start there.

I'd take the cartridge off the Hitachi and toss the rest of it. It's not a terrific turntable, not worth fixing, really...... or did you forget to check for a belt?

As I mentioned before, the Pioneer may be a terminal problem too. Dirty speed pots usually make a turntable's speed erratic, varying from normal to slower than normal, or even stop it altogether.

Question on the Technics. If you move the arm from the rest manually, does the platter begin to spin?

John

Back
Top Bottom