Incredibly High Price for TT belt

catama

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The belt on my Music Hall MMF-9 TT broke again! This is the third time. The replacement belt is a whopping $35 which seems to me to be a rip. Can't find a replacement belt for less. $35 for a rubber belt that probably costs 70 cents to manufacture. Why so high?

Do they seem too tight when you put them on? Does the TT get hot inside for some reason, like it's sitting on top of an amp or receiver?

How long are these belts lasting? Days, weeks, months, ___ years? If you tape a broken one together, just long enough to see whether it seems to have stretched a lot, you might be able to know whether it would be accurate to measure one of them: length of the loop, and width. Then you could find a place with a good guarantee that has a good stockpile of old belts who would give you a better deal on any other belt that is the same size as your TT takes. If it lasts as long, or longer, and is cheaper (assuming it works just fine), then you've got a better deal.

The Belt for my AVID turntable costs $85

What's beyond a rip off? Grand Larceny?? :thumbsdn:

At lease it's available. I have a lot of money invested in a PL-570 and the cuing motors are not available at (almost) any price.

Fairchild 412 is almost $50 for the two belts. Considering that the originals are still intact and semi-functional after 57 years, I'm hoping that these will last a while.

The belts are lasting about a year. The broken ones have fraying in the area where the break occurred. I'm not so much complaining about having to replace the belt as much as I think the price is disproportionate to the cost of making them. Think about it: the belt is essentially a giant rubber band! The Music Hall belt does not appear to be made of any special materials and except for the length and squarish shape, doesn't appear to require much effort to make. I've paid less than $35 for vacuum tubes which require substantially more efforts and costs to make. Just seems like a rip to me. That's all!

Thanks for the replies.

So where are you getting this belt from? Music Hall? Have you checked other belt sellers to see if they have a correct sized one? I bought some a couple months ago and at least one site had a very good search engine to find your belt. Most of theirs were $10-$20.

I see Needle Doctor has Music Hall ones and they do start at $35. LPGear has a larger selection for MH and most of them are $18.95. You might check there.

By the way, it's not just the cost to manufacture. There are a lot of costs. There are scores of belts so the setup to make each batch is going to raise the cost unless you're getting a million of them. Then there's the work of making a database of TT's and belts and maintaining it so your customers can get the right one. And finally, stocking all those belts, some for years at a time. All that costs money.

I'm not defending the price, I hate paying too. At the same time, I doubt record belt retailers are driving around in Porsches. You don't hear about huge donations to build a new wing on the childrens' cancer hospital coming from turntable belt fortunes. [Just trying to keep it light folks. :D ]

And as I am sure we all understand......MH, VPI, Project and probably others, do not "make" their own belts. They have someone make them and I am sure you are paying for those small runs. I doubt MH has 1,000s of belts on hand, they too only order so many. So not only are you paying for the small run charge, but also their markup of what looks to be a $10.00 belt. Based on what I see is offered at say $18-$25.00.

As a consumer you can only drill so far down before you hit the brickwall.

When I bought my Thorens 150 mk2 in '72 :) I bought a spare belt and Arm bearings.
You count 'em years later, I'm still on the oem Belt And Arm bearings.
As long as a belt doesn't slip off in use.. it's Good.
Worst case possible is a too tight belt. Bad news that.
Don't wanna spend 35$ for a 1$ part.. understandibly IMO.
Use a piece of Unwaxed Dental Floss as a DIY belt.
Yes it Works!!
Very well actually! as Many consider /do it as an upgrade over a rubber belt.
A bit of knowledge can save one Coin ...and... improve the setup :)

How about idler wheels? I worry about the day the one in my Thorens needs to be replaced.

I buy all of my belts from Russell Industries. They bought the old Recorder Belt Company and have just about everything. You have to buy more than one to meet their minimum, but they are very low priced and have been the industry standard for quality for many decades. When I needed a belt for my Technics turntable I bought a dozen, used one, kept two, and sold the rest in less than a week. (my belts ended up being free)

http://www.russellind.com/prbline/prblinecom_.htm#

Click on the PRB catalog, then on belts. Find the match and call them for a quote.

The most expensive belt I know of is the belt for my Basis turntable. It's $125. It is guaranteed to have uniform thickness to .00001 inches, and is personally measured in four different places by A.J. Conti, the president and owner of Basis, to make sure that it meets standards.

Are those high-end guys nuts, or what?

:D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom