Another Kenwood KA6000

sirdeuce

Hi! New to the site, really just found AK 2 days ago. Been reading a lot about my little amp over the last couple of days. So, let's get to this. My dad bought the IA in1970, gave it to me in '86 and I've used it most of the time since. I took it out of the closet today and hooked it up(My Nak730 just decided to quit). Still sounds great but the right channel seems to have dropped off slightly on the high end. I don't get any hiss until about halfway up the dial. Power seems equal left to right. Switches need cleaning. In all the reading I've done here the past days I learned quite a bit. Now the question. Since it seems to be operating well enough, should I consider the cap and transistor exchange? Or should I wait for the performance to drop off?

I'm not familiar with the details about this model, so I'm not sure what transistor updates are recommended, but recapping it will do wonders for it.

Why wait? The time is now if you are using it. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Now the question. Since it seems to be operating well enough, should I consider the cap and transistor exchange? Or should I wait for the performance to drop off?

I'm considering getting one as well when I get the chance. I also read here on AK it can develop some noisy transistors issues, I think replacements are cheap enough to have them around just in case if and when the problem arises.

Regarding recap, well it seems to me this thing is from 1969, so caps should be replaced in the near future as they're definitely close to their end of life.

If you go for a recap then let us know if there's any improvement!

Back
Top Bottom