Bi-amping my NS-555 speakers

jmitchnh

I would like to utilize the bi-amp/wire terminals on my NS-555 speakers. The specs list them as 6 ohm impedance. I will be powering them with a Yamaha AX-596 integrated. The amp's documentation states that "if you use two pairs of speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher" I was planning on using both speaker A & B to effectively bi-amp the speakers. Although I listen at a fairly low volume, I do not want to chance damaging the amp or the speakers. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I would like to utilize the bi-amp/wire terminals on my NS-555 speakers. The specs list them as 6 ohm impedance. I will be powering them with a Yamaha AX-596 integrated. The amp's documentation states that "if you use two pairs of speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher" I was planning on using both speaker A & B to effectively bi-amp the speakers. Although I listen at a fairly low volume, I do not want to chance damaging the amp or the speakers. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

How are you going to bi-amp with only one amplifier. I think your confusing bi-wire with bi-amp.
You need two seperate 2 channel amplifiers to "effectively" bi-amp.

A little light reading on the subject.
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Last edited:
Avionic is right of course - using a two-channel amp to do this is just bi-wiring. A and B are not separate amplifiers, just separate connections to the same place. Running both sets of wires to A would be exactly the same thing.

However, it would not be 3Ω, it would be the exact same load your amp is already seeing. The HF load is approximately infinite impedance in the bass and then transitions to 6+Ω at the crossover point. The LF load is the opposite. Together in parallel they make around 6Ω across the spectrum (probably with a hump or four).

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. True bi-amp requires two seperate amplifiers, so I should have used bi-wire. Although, when I think of bi-wiring I picture two leads to the same terminal. But, as you say, I am still connecting to the sam amp so in effect, it is bi-wiring. Will try this tonight and report back. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom