CR2020 sound stops, meters go wonky

Grim Reaper

What could be causing this problem? I have owned this CR2020 since new. Intermittently, the sound goes off and meters go wonky, the tuner needle goes far right and the right speaker needle goes to the middle. When I turn it off, it will sometimes not reset but usually does and works, usually for a while. Any guidance as to what could be causing the problem is appreciated.

Have you done the service bulletins to the unit? Is there a click off when you lose sound?

No click off, just no sound and meters go wonky, all lights on, flipping switches, turning knobs, pushing buttons doesn't do anything. I have to turn it off then turn it back on and, as normal, the relay closes after a few seconds delay and everything usually works fine again for a while.

I haven't done the service bulletin mods.

First clean (deoxit) the coupler switch on the rear panel..

If the service bulletins aren't done... I'd say start with that. Before your power switch welds itself closed. I would also wager the resistors are barely making contact on that cap board too. The intermittent nature and the wonky meters sounds like bad connections in the power supply to me.
Clean the coupler switch too, but I bet the issue is burnt traces on the back of the cap board.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had the same symptoms. Cured by the service bulletins and recap of the both power supply boards. Also when I accidentally shorted the two heat sinks on the power supply boards, the meters would swing hard one way, and it would not come out of protection. I found the boards to be in horrible condition, especially the vertical cap board. Several resistors were hanging by threads with huge burned out holes on the board. I had to drill new holes and point to point wire the new ones in the service bulletin. It should have been done years sooner to prevent such damage. Good luck.

Ken

I had the same symptoms. Cured by the service bulletins and recap of the both power supply boards. Also when I accidentally shorted the two heat sinks on the power supply boards, the meters would swing hard one way, and it would not come out of protection. I found the boards to be in horrible condition, especially the vertical cap board. Several resistors were hanging by threads with huge burned out holes on the board. I had to drill new holes and point to point wire the new ones in the service bulletin. It should have been done years sooner to prevent such damage. Good luck.

Ken

Thanks for the info about what may be causing the problem. I hope it isn't in as bad condition as yours was but, considering they're all the same components and heat up the same, it probably is. When I open it up, I'll take pictures and post them.

Back
Top Bottom