Yamaha C-1

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
I stumbled on a C-1 the other day, and I have to say that I am impressed.
I am cautioned as to the , warmer than I think is normal, temp it emits. I opened up the case and looked inside and I can see where the board has changed color from what I guess is running much warmer than it should have at one time or now?

This has been worked on from a audio shop about 10 years ago, and I am not experienced enough to tell what has been done or Not Done.

So, I have been knocked down off my Cloud Nine, because I feel like I know better to run this until I can get it checked by a knowledgeable tech, hoping one that has experience with this certain preamp.

As much as the wife and I like this preamp, the temptation is hard to hold back from not playing it. Sure hate to damage or make worst what ever it is now.

Attachments

• 044  audio karma c-1 hot spot.jpg
    044 audio karma c-1 hot spot.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 81
Congrats on the great score! Looks like the caps are original so a recap would be a good thing to have done to it along with a careful power supply check out. A good switch and pot cleaning would be good too. :thmbsp:

Be very careful with it. Its full of unobtainium...VFETs

Yamaha c1

Hello

Wonderfull preamplifier ! :thmbsp:
If you decide to give it to a carefull tech , be sure he is able to work on this rare piece of equipment !
Usually no difficult but repair are expensive because there is a lot of work to recap all the unit and clean the boards and contacts .
Some power resistors need to be replaced because value change or sometime they are open .....But if the unit is working it is a great news !
Heat is normal if you can keep your hand on the top cover .
See my pictures to see some details :yes:

Last edited:
For now, all is on hold...

Well, sadly, all is on hold for my audio gear.
I am still in the "honey do's" situation from our recent "retirement" move.
Curtains, blinds, exchange light fixtures, etc...etc...and also arranging a area for all my toys.

I will say this. I have been hit with a higher musical bliss. The difference from one audio set up ( previous, Sansui AU 9500/AU 719 >ADS L710/Marantz HD77)........to the newer set up... (Yamaha C-1>Phase Linear 400 II>ADS/Marantz). Is it the higher power?.....that brings out the musical bliss from the speakers/audio gear??

to be continue at a later time......

Back
Top Bottom