I finally found my speakers to end the search

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
During the first part of the week I was let down on a CL sale that was for another set of Epicure 100v's. It was advertised for 25 bucks and I spoke with the guy, all was arranged and he txt'd back he had a higher offer. So essentially the higher off was on the way to get them and if I wanted to get them I had to pay 50 and come before the other.. So to keep the other guy from having a long trip back to Loveland I passed. I was mad but sad becuase the speakers were going to be for the kids to have. I couldn't break the news to them so I sacrificed my own personal set so they could have some great speakers. It brings me so much joy and they love it, so I was satisfied and the clouds opened up for me!!

Fast forward to Tuesday:

I called on a pair of Epicure 1000 speakers that were for sale in the Springs, oddly enough Pontiac/Mike mentioned them at the Expo. Well those are the speakers I've always wanted, so I call the guy up and we chat some. Turns out that he replaced the 1000's with some B&W 802's and was still torn on parting ways with the Epi's. He said he had them for 15 years + and couldn't find anything until now that was better. He wanted 500 but couldn't verify that all drivers/foams were in working order. I said I'd do 300 and we struck the deal, I finally found and bought my dream speakers!!!!

Today:

I show up to the house which is just beautiful and HUGE, the speakers are in the garage which is open and they just shine..... I pull the truck in and his wife helps load them in the truck with me * he was gone *. The speakers weight about 180lbs each and are over 6ft tall *75 inchs*, but we managed just fine loading the up. The speakers are in beautiful condition with some nicks on the bottom pieces, and a few scratches but aside from that clean clean. I get the home and lug them into the house,to my surprise the speakers have 6 way binding posts!!! I'm jumping out of my shoes, this is just sweet. All lables, badges, and info is intact and then the moment of truth.

The Denon POA/PRA 1500/1000 combo powers up, the sony CDP kicks out Joshua Bell Violin Romance to demo * wanted to get an idea, cd was already in*.....

AMAZING.....simple, clean, sweet, clear, robust, everywhere..... sound flows into my ears as if Bell is playing in front of me. There is no lack of anything period, bass is as much as it can be expected but still there when called upon. The tweeters sing clear and show with ease, woofers are so smooth I can feel it in my bones. I switch to Muddy Waters and again blown away with such amazing vocals, every notes, word, and vinyl pleasure comes out of the speakers. I jump to Chris Issak Graduation day and before long I'm running late for work, 3 hrs had passed and I was still in a dream like state.

Normally hype does nothing for me, I read and read and look for reviews to get an idea. My personal experience has to agree otherwise it's useless as I don't buy into other people's "word/suggestions". I have to say that in all my time with audio and the variety of speakers, I've never been so happy and glued to a set. Hands down impressive in every right, and soon I'll be using the Epicure M1 amp to power these Iconic speakers. I'm going through the amp with a fine tooth comb and every update to bring it into spec. The only other EPI that I can compare these to in some respect is the Epicure M602's that I own. They are also going under a full matched re-cap/foam and treatment, the same fate the 1000's will have as well.

I'll have some better pics soon, the camera was out and had to use a cell phone ugh :no: just no justice with that. If I ever come across another pair I would not hesitate to purchase them, just simply the speaker for me. I'd love to hear if anyone else has had a set, or any suggesstions.

Attachments

• IMG_20120329_145348.jpg
    IMG_20120329_145348.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_20120329_145429.jpg
    IMG_20120329_145429.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_20120329_145550.jpg
    IMG_20120329_145550.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_20120329_145556.jpg
    IMG_20120329_145556.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_20120329_145604.jpg
    IMG_20120329_145604.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
So, 180 Lbs, each.

$300

< $1 /Lb?

A new metric in bargain speaker purchases; speakers by the pound.

Congrats!

Man the suspense was killing me!!! Congrats my friend, you've struck gold.:banana::banana::banana::banana:
I've grown tired of trying to find a pair, so I decided to build my own.:D

Thanks everyone, I'll be rebuilding them step by step and will keep you informed! The camera will be up tomorrow and I'll snap better pics, I can't wait to get home and listen some more.

Congrats! Those will also be the speakers that will end my search (lol maybe not), if I ever get a hold of one!

And one more!

Looking great and I am convinced by your glee, they are sounding great. Not just five but six dancing bananas are in order!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: and one more :banana: :thmbsp:

Why am I thinking you should be listening to Also Sprach Zarathustra right now?

space-odyssey-550x254.jpg

Now you have to upgrade your chair to match those speakers! ;)

Just kidding, great find and a great SCORE! :yes:

Attachments

• chair2_5123cd87d6fd13b124b7ce6af0bdb056.jpg
    chair2_5123cd87d6fd13b124b7ce6af0bdb056.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom