Are these cartridges/stylus worth anything?

Hi everyone,

My first post on these forums, hopefully first of many. I love to collect vinyl and started my collection 8 years ago when my uncle gave me his old Hendrix albums. Despite me having a critical taste in music, I'm not an audiophile. I guess I could blame that on my starving musician salary! I have a Sony PSLX350H turntable to play all my albums and I'm happy with it.

Anyway, my girlfriend gave me her late uncle's stash of vintage Audio Technica cartridges and needles. Now HE was an audiophile from everything I've been told. These were all in their original packages and unopened:

- AT-15Sa cartridge and stylus
- ATN15SS stylus
- AT140ML cartridge and stylus
- AT-ML170/OCC cartridge and stylus

First thing I want to know is, are these cartridges and needles worth anything? Second, will I be able to use these on my Sony turntable?

Thanks

Those are all great cartridges. I would say that they're higher-quality than would usually be used with your PS-LX350H turntable. They're also a bit higher-compliance than would be ideal for your PS-LX350H's mid-mass tonearm, but they'll work. I won't comment on value, as that is not allowed in this forum.

Great gift you got there, by the way. :)

Oh, and for the value question, you can post over in the "Dollars & Sense" forum:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Thanks skriefal, I'll make my way over there a little later.

I'm wildly jealous

Sorry man. I don't think I would need all of them, so maybe I can let a couple go!

your girl is a keeper! congrats!

Thanks skandl, I'm a lucky guy.

A girl giving you diamonds! :D

This one - AT-ML170/OCC cartridge and stylus, is the jewel in the crown. :thmbsp:

That ATN15SS stylus:

Let's just say if you sell it for an appropriate amount, you won't be quite as starving for a while.:thmbsp:

Happy trails,
Larry B.

When I checked a few years ago there was a stereo dealer in the Lancaster area that had a stylus microscope. If you can find a dealer that does, have the needles looked at to get an idea of their wear. This will allow you to use the ones that are in good shape and if you were to offer any for sale in the appropriate place (Barter Town for a $25 annual subscription or the for sale forum) you would be able to accurately describe their condition.

If you want to know value, post in the dollars and sense forum. You will get lots of responses.

That ATN15SS stylus:

Let's just say if you sell it for an appropriate amount, you won't be quite as starving for a while.:thmbsp:

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Haha, this is becoming too good to be true. Thanks Larry.

When I checked a few years ago there was a stereo dealer in the Lancaster area that had a stylus microscope. If you can find a dealer that does, have the needles looked at to get an idea of their wear. This will allow you to use the ones that are in good shape and if you were to offer any for sale in the appropriate place (Barter Town for a $25 annual subscription or the for sale forum) you would be able to accurately describe their condition.

That's a good point, I'll have to start looking for someone to do that. Do you remember the name or place of that stereo dealer?

If you want to know value, post in the dollars and sense forum. You will get lots of responses.

I'll do that right now. Thanks

If, as you said in your original post, these are new and unopened, you don't need to have them examined. No wear on an unused stylus. Otherwise, yes.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

You may need to open the boxes to verify their contents, and to take photos (if you intend to sell). No big deal there IMO.

63V: Unless you're in desperate need of money, I'd suggest not to sell anything of that stash. Well, or if anything, then just the AT140ML, because that isn't quite as interesting as the other 2 1/2 (the ATN15SS is compatible to the AT15Sa body and a slight upgrade to the stock ATN15).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Just don't rip the boxes apart was what I was trying to say. As another AK member noted these AT cartridges arn't a good compliance match for your turntables tonearm. Unless you plan on getting another turntable that these cartridges would match the compliance of the tonearm you might be better off turning them into cash.

63V: Unless you're in desperate need of money, I'd suggest not to sell anything of that stash. Well, or if anything, then just the AT140ML, because that isn't quite as interesting as the other 2 1/2 (the ATN15SS is compatible to the AT15Sa body and a slight upgrade to the stock ATN15).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

You have a good point there. Life's short, maybe I should just enjoy these carts...

The AT15 body with AT15ss stylus is quite a legendary combination - loaded right (150pf) the frequency response is as good as it gets (flat as can be measured) - and the sound is simply superb.... probably better than the current AT150MLx.

The ATML170 is another step up in performance - but I have never had a chance to try or measure one.

The AT140 is a step down - good cartridge and equivalent to the current AT440MLa - but not in the same league as the other two.

Really a superb little collection!

Back
Top Bottom