Marantz 7T early serial# vs Marantz 7c tube

Audioo

anyone did a side to side blindfold test with M 7T and 7c. Rumors spread that the 7t is as good as the tube model. Whats the truth.

Have them both....

Both are marvelous pre-amps. In good stock condition, 7c is the winner through out the range of sonics.

Most 7c's have survived time in better condition due the nature of the design has no electrolytic coupling caps. The 7t has electrolytic coupling caps and feedback caps.

Properly refurb the 7t is very close. And modified it is even closer. There have been improvements in components that make difference in the 7t.

However they will remain different in the 7t has a very wide and flat response. Where the 7c has a very rich mid-range.

And 7c the can be tube rolled to tune the sonics to your taste.

I have heavily modified 7t's. All 7t need a refurb at this point. My everyday preamps are 7t's . I would never modify a C and would only repair as close to stock as possible. I am sure they can be improved, but why? Sid Smith modified them himself.

The rumors may originate with me... But what do I know. The C is still top of the hill....

JohnK

Thanks John,,i was told that the 7T with early serial numbers were bit different and sounded better any trith to that

I have heard many samples of all 3 versions.... I own an early and late. Not sure I would say there is a real noticeable difference. Maybe the later version is a tad bit brighter? But that could be 5 years younger caps....?

I do like my early version slightly better.... Serial 10400 something better than the very 18000 something... ( just don't remember the exact numbers ).

The difference are in the transistors, some caps, some shielding, 250k vs 500k volume pot.....a few other minor differences.

The face plate is clear coated on the early one and bare anodized on the late.... I tend to like the clear coated better....

The middle version is a mix....

But honestly I would not get too hung up on that, as they are all great sounding once refurbed and modified....

JohnK

ok ill narrow it down to southern ontario. There is an elusive ak memeber who is a technician in georgetown but cant find him.

Back
Top Bottom