New to MC60s opinions?

I'll cut and paste it when I get home (on phone now)
Basically, he said pull 1st 12AX7. If hum goes away its probably that tube. If its still there its a bad filter cap or another tube down the line or mismatched output tubes. I did pull the tube. Hum was gone but I had a quiet static (probably louder than the original hum but still very low. I sent him what I found and he said it probably the tube. If not its a ground loop issue. I'm reasonably confident if not word for word what he sent me. I'll double check and correct it if I'm wrong

OK for sake of accuracy this was the first part.
"If you pull the first 12AX7 does the humm go away? If yes it is pickup, if it stays, it may be from a bad power filter, bad tube further on the path, or badly matched outputs."

second part
"Change the tube, if not a cure you probably have a ground loop."

I have what might be a silly question. I finally got around to rebuilding power supplies, recapping (Thank you Jim McShane). (Also straightened bent chassis and repaired cracked turret board)
I was wondering, the bottom cover has 4 slotted holes, like these where designed to be mounted to something? What I was thinking, because these are going to be sitting on shelves just attaching self adhesive rubber feet. What was the original idea (slot holes, consoles)? what do most people put on the bottom of them?

I've seen that on MC225s, MC240s, and MC275s as a bolt on accessory but never on the MC60s. I always guessed it was for some type of permanent mounting. Any pics?

I used those slotted holes to install 5/8" (I think) McIntosh plastic feet...
Or you could use self adhesive felt pads used on furniture, etc...
Cheers

You asked for pics?
By the way, The 6 holes are for mounting bottom cover to main chassis. Just small sheet metal screws. Nothing substantial enough for feet (these are like 40-50 lbs a piece).

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
:music::thmbsp::DFinal note on these. Screws it came with (buttom cover) didn't match. I finally got new screws in mail today. I went with self adhesive feet. I got these in the summer. I was so psyched to get them. They weren't what they were offered as. Not quite as clean. recapped but really sad job. Chassis bent on one (almost impossible to align bottom cover). One of the turret boards was cracked off the mounting brackets. 2 or the output tubes had the plastic keyway broken off of them so special care needs to be taken when installing to get proper orientation. Worst of all they didn't sound so hot. I actually flipped a pre i got about the same time i got them because i assumed it was the pre and not the MC60s.
So after i pulled them out of rotatoin and they sat on a table for several months i got off my ass. Touched base with some of my most trusted mentors. I repaired turret board, straightened chassis, and recapped once again.
They were on the shop (mine ) on the shop speakers directly fed by a CDP using the gain controls for volume, Doing burn in time and auditioning, So back to today. Bottoms on feet on into the listening room and now they sound liked i hoped (expected) from day one. I'm sorry it took such a long path. I am also glad i didn't sell them the way they were. It (i think) would have disappointed the next buyer (and soiled the MAC's and/or mine) reputation. Listening now . What a difference! I am really impressed. (I don't know if its my imagination or if they sound better a half an hour in warmed up). Thanks for putting up with my growing pains

Back
Top Bottom