identifying this mysterious amp

cssong

I've got this from Ebay. I wonder if any member has whatever kind of infos on this. I quote some of the seller's words: "Up for bid is a tube amp from a military aviation box. It is heavy duty and had 2 5y3 ,a 6sn7 and a 6v6 tube which are not included." Would this be possible for a conversion to a standalone amp? Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
With Tune indication , Crystal current and 150 volts , i would say it was a power supply for a Klystron in some radar .

Also IF gain leads me to the same thing

And most likely 400HZ transformers

Last edited:
Also I believe that your "amplifier" was made by Motorola, as Motorola's parent company was Galvin which is clearly inscribed on all of the parts in this unit.

This is just one section out of a military radio. I believe this is the power supply section. The transformers look like Chicago brand and are going to be 110-117v/60hz.. I'd say you have everything needed to build a very nice little SE amp. Most likely not enough current to handle pp stereo..
Good luck
Jason

This is just one section out of a military radio. I believe this is the power supply section. The transformers look like Chicago brand and are going to be 110-117v/60hz.. I'd say you have everything needed to build a very nice little SE amp. Most likely not enough current to handle pp stereo..
Good luck
Jason
This is obviously out of a ships radar , the meter and switching arrangement with the labeling it has is for a Klystron oscillator , Raytheon , Sperry , RCA and others all had an arrangement like this . This may have been made by motorola for a military radar , and is most likely 400HZ . The meter is used to set the motor generator voltage , the Xtal current is for the 1N23 crystals to set the crystal current , the 150 volt setting is to set the repeller voltage of the Klystron , the 500 volt scale was to set the B+ of the Klystron , The IF gain control is to set the 60 MHZ IF gain ,the tune indicator show would show when you had ajusted the repeller cavity and voltage correctly and were receiving targets . The motor generators were 400 HZ or 1000 HZ .

The date codes on the caps look like the the 7 month of 1945 , also the all octal sockets say 1940's

I worked on ships radars for 30+ years

Last edited:
Agree with Battradio on it being from a Military RADAR set. I'm thinking it's an aircraft radar module. It's possible that it could be from an old Neptune (P2-V) or even a EC-121. Shipboard Radar's tended to have larger modules, especially from that era.

This is obviously out of a ships radar , the meter and switching arrangement with the labeling it has is for a Klystron oscillator , Raytheon , Sperry , RCA and others all had an arrangement like this . This may have been made by motorola for a military radar , and is most likely 400HZ . The meter is used to set the motor generator voltage , the Xtal current is for the 1N23 crystals to set the crystal current , the 150 volt setting is to set the repeller voltage of the Klystron , the 500 volt scale was to set the B+ of the Klystron , The IF gain control is to set the 60 MHZ IF gain ,the tune indicator show would show when you had ajusted the repeller cavity and voltage correctly and were receiving targets . The motor generators were 400 HZ or 1000 HZ .

The date codes on the caps look like the the 7 month of 1945 , also the all octal sockets say 1940's

I worked on ships radars for 30+ years

I just said that it was more than likely made by Motorola, myself, because of the Galvin Industries markings on all of the parts on this Power supply, which Galvin Industries was the parent company of Motorola. Thanks for not giving me due credit for pointing that out initially. :sigh: :tears:

Back
Top Bottom