KA-9100 troubles.

ghbrian

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Gentlemen, I picked up a used KA 9100 recently, and I am having a dilemma with it. If I install just one side of my source ( right or left) I will get mono output from both left and right speakers (and headphone). Even with both right and left inputs (AUX, Tuner and Tape) engaged I get mono out.The balance function will not cut out either right or left speakers. I have applied deoxit in every switch and control, without remedy. Is this something that has been discussed before? Any ideas.

Sounds more like someone has been playing silly buggers with the wiring. Might be fun to troubleshoot.

you got that right EW .. those are the "challenging ones" ..
maybe someone tried to bypass some of the controls because they were scratchy.
Good luck, and patience...

John M

Fixed the problem. The jumpers on the rear, Preamp/amp needed to be installed vertically not horizontally as they were. Works as it should now. Thanks to Marek, from Poland for the heads up. Some times its so simple!

Fixed the problem. The jumpers on the rear, Preamp/amp needed to be installed vertically not horizontally as they were. Works as it should now. Thanks to Marek, from Poland for the heads up. Some times its so simple!

yep that would do it for sure :D
am surprised they made it so you could actually do that :scratch2:

Gentlemen, I picked up a used KA 9100 recently, and I am having a dilemma with it. If I install just one side of my source ( right or left) I will get mono output from both left and right speakers (and headphone). Even with both right and left inputs (AUX, Tuner and Tape) engaged I get mono out.The balance function will not cut out either right or left speakers. I have applied deoxit in every switch and control, without remedy. Is this something that has been discussed before? Any ideas.
Hmmm...? Wish I could provide a "quick fix".... its not likely.

I had a dilemma with my 9100 recently, the right channel would play on and off. Often popping at increased volume and then playing as usual. Having a fairly good memory at how well this instrument played "back-in-the-day", I could not bring myself to put up with the fault.

Well... this led to disassembling the unit, to component level and replacing suspect caps, resistors, and cleaning circuit boards. Low and behold, after an investment of about $50 to $75...... its working! And both channels..!!

I did not mention, the amount of time, as this is often based on your zeal to work on these fixtures in your audio listening strata... but I felt it was worth it and now when I say... It needs more energy.... this amp responds most happily.

If you want some of the actions I took, component research, and overall guidance. I will return and site specifics. Otherwise, I will assume and excuse the pun... You've decided to go digital....

Back
Top Bottom