Yamaha R-8 Faceplate Problem

Bunty2

The indicator panel on my Yamaha R-8 faceplate has slipped downed out of place as pictured below. Has anyone fixed this problem before? For now, I'll just consult the service manual to see how to gain access to it. Maybe it needs a bit of superglue.

SAM_0173.JPG

It was probably held in place with double sided tape that has now dried up and deteriorated. Have to pull the front panel off. Clean off whats left of the tape or glue. Reattach with some 3M doublesided tape.

After unscrewing the faceplate, it doesn't look easy. A long circuit board is attached to the back of the faceplate with wires leading out, which has to be displaced as well as that white piece showing in the picture, in order to gain access to the loose panel. Oh, well, I've found the easy way out is to turn the receiver upside down and tap on the faceplate until the panel drops into its proper place and hope it can stay that way for a good while.

I bet it's not that hard. Probably just need some precision screwdrivers and a fair amount of patience.

I am sure it is something like double-sided tape. There's a similar insert underneath the power meters on the CA series amps and it was NOT easy to get off.

It wouldn't fully slip back into place by turning the receiver upside down and pounding it on the table. So it occurred to me to try spraying air into the face plate to force it up, and that worked like a charm. So far it's still holding in place.

This R-8 receiver I have is quite a charming performer, especially for the tuner part. Sure, it's true the presets may not work, due to a bad memory capacitor, but it's much easier to replace it with a new one than on the Yamaha models lower down the line.

I recently had to replace a broken glass on an SX-1250. I decided to try Allene's Tacky Glue instead of double sided tape. I used the glue, sparingly applied with a toothpick and a very small, stiff artist's brush and let it set up for about five minutes before mounting the glass, similarly to the way you use contact cement. It worked wonderfully after letting it cure overnight.

Back
Top Bottom