Yamaha speaker opinion wanted/NS-690.

bd1886

I picked up a pair of choice NS-690s' a long while back and tested them along side some better speaks in an ADS L810. The sound was still decent but the sound stage was just not really there much in comparison....little harsh.

Fast forward to today and going to take them out of rotation of my daughters system because here living space is changing and larger size "everything" is having to go. (Hooking her up with a Denon Mini System and small Polks.)

Have any of you played around with these to get the most out of them? Thinking of putting together a Yamaha setup (for an upcoming wedding gift) and would like to keep it all Yammie if I could.

I picked up a pair of choice NS-690s' a long while back and tested them along side some better speaks in an ADS L810. The sound was still decent but the sound stage was just not really there much in comparison....little harsh.

:lurk:

The NS 690 comes in various flavors..I, II, III.
I've heard similar variations but not these.

Harsh might be a round about way of saying they are revealing of poor material.
To channel in a Bill Clinton moment..I can feel your pain. There are trade offs

Most Yamaha NS speakers even with their high SPL love a powerful amp, so a Denon Mini might be cutting out low end warmth and Yamaha NS speakers are very amp sensitive (your millage might....) In the bad old days one could pick up a Yamaha M4 for a song (or two) and that would be a starting point or happy endings point with any Yamaha NS speaker.

Michael

I've enjoyed my NS-690s the most when run on tube power, but they have been good with whatever I powered them with. One point to be noted is that if they are the original model (as mine are) they really won't sound their best until re-capped. I also found the finding the right stand for them improved them in every way as well.

I suppose I'd have turn all the mid/high attenuators full bore while listening to them in an empty shell of a room to approach any form of "harshness" from my 690s:)

Get them about 10' apart ,a couple inches off the wall. About 18" above the floor. Hook up a M-80 power amp with a C-85 control amp. Use the single amp configuration hookup in the C-85's manual (L normal pre-out and R inverted pre-out). Select Auto-class A on the M-80. Source is your flavor.I use a CA Azur 640C-V2.:thmbsp: Play some good MoFi , Telarc , dmp, or Sheffield recordings.
Then come back and tell us the 690's are harsh.:D

Get them about 10' apart ,a couple inches off the wall. About 18" above the floor. Hook up a M-80 power amp with a C-85 control amp. Use the single amp configuration hookup in the C-85's manual (L normal pre-out and R inverted pre-out). Select Auto-class A on the M-80. Source is your flavor.I use a CA Azur 640C-V2.:thmbsp: Play some good MoFi , Telarc , dmp, or Sheffield recordings.
Then come back and tell us the 690's are harsh.:D

Coming from you I will give them more attention and love before horsing in with a comment like harsh!

I have a much better and more developed environment to listen to these in now (when compared to the period when I picked these up and put them in my daughters hands....too quickly apparently). Looking around now,people do compare these to having similar sonics as the famed NS-1000s?
Since picking them up,I do have a Yamaha CA-1000/CT-1000 also (and access to a friends CA-1010/CT-1010....would imagine minimal difference for this purpose?). This will be the first time I will be hearing a system that has full "Natural Sound" intent coming at me and looking forward to this listening project immensely. (Going to mix in other gear/modern separates' known for a "cleaner sound" to maybe more fully understand Yamaha.....?)

Thank you all for your knowledge and direction.

Last edited:
The NS family of speakers from this generation are not for everyone. Follow Avionics above advice with your speaker set up and I think you will be impressed with their sound..

Get them about 10' apart ,a couple inches off the wall. About 18" above the floor. Hook up a M-80 power amp with a C-85 control amp. Use the single amp configuration hookup in the C-85's manual (L normal pre-out and R inverted pre-out). Select Auto-class A on the M-80. Source is your flavor.I use a CA Azur 640C-V2. Play some good MoFi , Telarc , dmp, or Sheffield recordings.
Then come back and tell us the 690's are harsh.

Get them about 10' apart ,a couple inches off the wall. About 18" above the floor. Hook up a M-80 power amp with a C-85 control amp. Use the single amp configuration hookup in the C-85's manual (L normal pre-out and R inverted pre-out). Select Auto-class A on the M-80. Source is your flavor.I use a CA Azur 640C-V2. Play some good MoFi , Telarc , dmp, or Sheffield recordings.

It was just my current setup in the shop. It sounds frick'n awesome.:thmbsp:

Today the M-80/C-85 was swapped out for a CA-2010 shake down.Still sounds great !

It was just my current setup in the shop. It sounds frick'n awesome.

Today the M-80/C-85 was swapped out for a CA-2010 shake down.Still sounds great !

Looking around now,people do compare these to having similar sonics as the famed NS-1000s?

There's another AK'er who has several sets of NS-1000's, as well as NS-2000's. He listened to my NS-690 II's and said they had a similar character/sound, but the clarity of the Be drivers (in the NS-1000/2000's) wasn't quite there with the NS-690's.

But nevertheless, they do sound great at a fraction of the price of these higher end models.

My ns-690's (first version) where one of my favorite vintage speakers until I found a pair of ESS amt 1b. Still, I will keep the Yamaha's. We all need variety!

I agree that this vintage of NS series speakers is not for everyone. I happen to have a great appreciation for them; they stand in their own truth. They are unapologetic for what they are. They don't color the sound or try to make that which isn't "warm", well, warm:scratch2: what was recorded is what you get. Even my NS-70T's sound remarkably similar to my NS-500M's...though not as truthful but....:music:

What is the purpose of hooking the L to normal pre out and R to inverted pre out? Would this configuration also hold tru if I use other speakers for my C-85? Thanks

What is the purpose of hooking the L to normal pre out and R to inverted pre out? Would this configuration also hold tru if I use other speakers for my C-85? Thanks

Yes.. Download the the owners manual for the C-85.

Running my NS-690 mkI through a CR-2020 and they sound incredible. Very revealing sound, if a little light in the bass dept.

Running my MK 1's with a pristine CR1020 and they sound fantastic. They really hit their stride when I put them on 16" stands, the tweeter is now at ear level and this made a huge difference. Lastly, "harsh"? Never on mine, what are you pushing them with?

Back
Top Bottom