DSP-A2070 or RX-V1000 for 5.1 sound?

flybigjet

Remove Before Flight
I am going to run one of these two units to power a 5.1 Surround system to listen to audio from movies from DVD, TV and Apple TV. No music, no main speakers... solely for the five surrounds and a sub. I'll have my Marantz and Kef's running independently for "real" music.

I'm the original owner of both, but I'm not sure which one would be the best to use, so I'm looking for suggestions from Yamaha experts.

I know that in order to use the 2070, I'll have to convert the digital DVD, TV and Apple TV signals to analog. My plan is to run the DVD and Apple TV into the TV via HDMI, from there via HDMI to RCA to the Yamaha.

I'm planning on using the Gefen Digital Audio Decoder to do that, since it will convert 5.1 signals.

The V1000 has a tuner, but that won't be needed either.

I'm not entirely certain on speakers for the 5.1 yet, but it will be something along the lines of the smaller bookshelf speakers and a powered sub (below $1000 range).

So, for watching movies and movies only, which would you recommend? The 2070 with digital to analog conversion, or the V1000 with TosLink?

Thanks!

R.

Back
Top Bottom