M85/C85 problem

egp823

After listening for about 15 minutes, my voltage regulator blows a fuse. Any idea on what the possible problems are? No parts have ever been replaced in my equipment. Thank you.

After listening for about 15 minutes, my voltage regulator blows a fuse. Any idea on what the possible problems are? No parts have ever been replaced in my equipment. Thank you.

What voltage regulator? A stand alone conditioner or something like that?

Our current here in the Philippines is not so stable and we have use a voltage regulator to stabilize current to ensure that the voltage is maintained at 220 volts. Last month, I had a problem with my amp. I experienced intermittent loud popping sounds from my speakers and I think I damaged my speakers ( sound lacked clarity) . I have since then replaced my speakers . Sound is back to normal but I guess my amp might be shorted as evidenced by the blown fuses ( 5A). Thanks

Our current here in the Philippines is not so stable and we have use a voltage regulator to stabilize current to ensure that the voltage is maintained at 220 volts. Last month, I had a problem with my amp. I experienced intermittent loud popping sounds from my speakers and I think I damaged my speakers ( sound lacked clarity) . I have since then replaced my speakers . Sound is back to normal but I guess my amp might be shorted as evidenced by the blown fuses ( 5A). Thanks

Does it instantly blow the fuses? I'm guessing that your Power conditioner my have a problem unless your using a different amplifier.
Sound is back to normal

No it takes about 15 or so minutes. Noticed though that the fuse blows faster if I set the output level of the amp to full. Thanks

No it takes about 15 or so minutes. Noticed though that the fuse blows faster if I set the output level of the amp to full. Thanks

Sounds like the voltage regulator may not have adequate capability for using with the M85 at higher output/high volume levels.

Does the fuse still blow if the volume is low?

Are there more devices on the voltage regulator, or just the M85 and C85?

The C-85 and 2 turntables , a thorens and technics. I did not have any problem with blown fuses before even with the M-85 output set at full. Will have the regulator checked. It might have lived its useful life. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Replaced the M-85 with an Adcom 545II still using the C-85 to test. Everything worked fine for about 15 minutes then suddenly a deafening sound from my speakers . Volume turned to only about a third. I turned off the power and concluded that the C-85 had the probem. Replaced the C-85 with an Adcom GTP 400 preamp and noticed that the left channel was dead. Replaced one of the four fuses in the Amplifier and still no left channel. Something else must have blown. Will try to use the M-85 and the adcom gtp400 combination and see what happens.

Is this a good idea or should i just have everything checked first by a technician?

By the way. Some RCA's on the yamahas got loose and i just pushed it back. Would this be an issue? Thanks

Thanks

Last edited:
By the way. Some RCA's on the yamahas got loose and i just pushed it back. Would this be an issue? Thanks

This is a pretty common problem on these. I have a C-80 (identical to C-85) and the only issue I've had with it so far is that a bunch of the RCA connections on the back came loose. Some of them that were a bit borderline would work fine, but then stop working after the preamp warmed up. Perhaps that is related to your issue somehow. Either way, the RCA jacks should be repaired.

This is a pretty common problem on these. I have a C-80 (identical to C-85) and the only issue I've had with it so far is that a bunch of the RCA connections on the back came loose. Some of them that were a bit borderline would work fine, but then stop working after the preamp warmed up. Perhaps that is related to your issue somehow. Either way, the RCA jacks should be repaired.

Another common issue is cracked solder connections on the copper buss bars. I resolder all of the buss bar connections.

Some RCA's on the yamahas got loose and i just pushed it back.
The issues with the RCA jacks is solder connections and sometimes the outer ground sleeve will pull loose. Especially if your not careful with tight fitting interconnect cables.

What are the effects of these ungrounded rca connectors? thanks

RCA´s - humming or buzzing noise in one channel or the other.
Buss bars - popping , static, channel drop outs or no sound at all. Sometimes bad enough to cause the amplifier to go into protect mode.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your posts. I decided to resurrect my AX 2000 after about 10 years. I should have done this earlier and save myself 2 busted amplifiers. Expensive mistake. These babies really sound good, No harshness. Everything is so musical. Running this with my newly acquired Polk CRS+. I had to replace my first CRS+ thinking that there was a short in the crossovers because of the loud popping noises I was getting. Will be sending the crossovers next month for the upgrades. I wanted to hook my A-2000a but i guess i will have to have this checked first as I might have the same problem like my other amps. Will have to wait though as am not confident with the local technicians we have. If only shipping to the states would not be expensive, I would have all my amps checked there.

Back
Top Bottom