Kenwood KR-8010 Pops When Turning Off

danrclem

I bought a Kenwood KR-8010 today for a good price. It's in good shape but was filthy inside. I cleaned it up quite a bit but it still needs some more attention. It sounds good but could use some more bass. The FM de-emphasis was set wrong but that was an easy fix.

The DC-offset checked out pretty good. +16.9 mV on the left and -3.7 on the right. The only problem is when I turn it off it pops after a couple seconds. The first time I saw a spark in the back and center of the unit. I didn't have time to really check it out but is there a relay back there that could be dirty?

Another problem is that somebody took the cover off and didn't replace most of the screws. It sure didn't look like they worked on it as dirty as it was. It's missing 3 of the bigger screws on the side and all of the smaller screws on the top. Does anybody know where I can get some of the screws? They don't have to be 100% correct but I want them to be black and fit.

It also has 3 missing feet. Do any other Kenwood feet fit?

Thanks,
Danny

Post shutdown transients are not unusual. Turn the speaker switch off first then shut off the receiver.

Post shutdown transients are not unusual. Turn the speaker switch off first then shut off the receiver.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.

I still want to keep it from doing it if I can. With the speakers off it has a click when turning off and I'm pretty sure that is when it pops.

They are unusual on units that have circuitry to eliminate such things. The 8010 would be one of those.

I'd suggest that the protection circuit and the relay need some work.

Echowars has infinite knowledge of Kenwoods. His comment should be taken as truth. Having used an 8010 for many years, I can never remember having any turn of noise, but I always turn the speaker off first. The 8010 is a great receiver that is worth spending money and time to restore.

Back
Top Bottom