Kenwood amps perceived volume

martinz

Hello, I know this may be a stupid concern... but here it goes: I have tested a Kenwood KA5700 against a KA7300 and a Marantz PM34 and it surprised me that to get an equal volume level the 5700 had to be in both cases dialed significantly lower. If the 5700 was at 10am the KA7300 and the Marantz had to be turned up to about 11:30 for equal volume. I expected the opposite results specially from the KA7300 (dual transformer, more power). I can't barely reach 12 o clock on the 5700, it's LOUD! but had to go beyond 12 on the 7300 to get that loud. Is this normal or could there be something wrong with the 7300? Maybe it's just different volume pots taper, like linear vs logarithmic? Thanks

ASSUMING the same speakers were evaluated on both amplifiers...
the difference is most likely due to one or more of the following parameters:

* differing input sensitivity of the amplifiers (line level or phono inputs?)

* differing gain of the preamp sections

* differing 'taper' of the volume control attenuators (which are, as previously mentioned, logarithmic taper potentiometers... or, at least, they should be)

NONE of which has anything to do with the output power nor headroom of either amplifier.

Just an FYI, the preamp of the 5700 has NO active stages (save for the phono amp), it is totally passive.

D'oh - I knew that, actually (believe it or not) :p
Goofball that I am, I didn't notice the model numbers -- just the symptom... so I got on my "volume control" soapbox.

Just like Vehicle Gas Tanks!
Some hold more in the lower half while others hold more on the higher side!~
In other words 1/2 a Tank may literally not be an accurate reading at all:)

Thanks for all the answers. Agreed it's not an accurate reading. Test was done with the amps side by side, same speakers using a switch box. Turntable into the 7300, from there tape out into the 5700 aux input... maybe different sensitivities of inputs made a difference here. I could not push them as loud as would've wanted but I felt the 7300 worked more at ease although higher on the dial.

The 7300 had the electrolytics in the power supply board replaced, they leaked all over, as well as a couple in the control amp board. I also increased the input cap as Echowars showed us in this forum, thank you! Sprayed deoxit inside the volume pot but still there's some noise going on. I´m debating whether or not changing the caps in the power amp boards... visually they look all right, should i leave them alone?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. Agreed it's not an accurate reading. Test was done with the amps side by side, same speakers using a switch box. Turntable into the 7300, from there tape out into the 5700 aux input... maybe different sensitivities of inputs made a difference here. I could not push them as loud as would've wanted but I felt the 7300 worked more at ease although higher on the dial.

I have same question about it.
By Sansui AU-707(AU-717) at 05-06 o. clock it sounds loud but by Trio-Kenwood KA-8700/801 it sound much less loud, just a 9 o clock maybe it is same loud. same loudspeaker/ input: auxlary.
Due to this phenomenon i tend to use Sansui AU-707 more but i ask myself why did Kenwood do so as it seems this amp is weak at power handling, especially for newbee- user?

Last edited:
I have same question about it.
By Sansui AU-707(AU-717) at 05-06 o. clock it sounds loud but by Trio-Kenwood KA-8700/801 it sound much less loud, just a 9 o clock maybe it is same loud. same loudspeaker/ input: auxlary.
Something must be wrong here or I'm getting it backwards... 5 o clock? Isn't that full on maximum volume? :yikes:
9 oclock is not even a quarter of the pot so that can't be loud

Something must be wrong here or I'm getting it backwards... 5 o clock? Isn't that full on maximum volume? :yikes:
9 o clock is not even a quarter of the pot so that can't be loud

Exactly i mean: same loud when volme pot. was set by Sansui 5 o'clock and Kenwood at 9-10 o 'clock.

Back
Top Bottom