Focal Owners Thread

When I set mine up for the first time I followed the instructions - had each speaker pointed directly at me. After a lot of moving around they now have very little toe-in. The location is not a perfect triangle either. I have them further apart than the distance from my head to the speaker. In my room that gives me a broad sound stage with no loss of center stage. It's fun to hear vocals and instruments coming from outside of the speaker footprint.

I've read Focal reviews and discussions giving all sorts of toe-in variations. Some advise pointing them directly at you to experience the full effect of the tweeters. Others advise very little to no toe-in. A few people suggested having them directly face you then rotate them out just enough to glimpse the inner sides of the speakers.

It seems the final answer depends a lot on the room acoustics and the listener.

Whoops - ignore what I said about my latest speaker positioning. I have been so involved with work lately (very foggy brain) I forgot the last iteration of changes I made.

It turns out I am in the "glimpse the inner sides of the speakers" group. I guestimate the speakers are toed-in about 18 degrees - big difference from your set up. Possible reasons for the difference:
  1. My set up is along the longer side wall and towards one end of the room. I don't get even dispersion throughout the room.
  2. I keep the speakers further apart than the distance from the speakers to my seat. If I toe them out too much I lose the center. It then just sounds like two speakers instead of one soundstage.
  3. Very old ears - probably need a more direct hit from the tweeters.
Anyway, in my room that set up gives me the most 3D soundstage. With a good recording I can "see" in my head the positions of the different singers and instruments. Focal speakers are just incredible.

I sit maybe a foot further from my speakers than my speakers are apart. They are about 7 ft apart at there centers. My ears are maybe 4 inches higher than my tweeters.

Well, the reviews on the Focal 705V were spot on, lacking bass. I spoke to my salesman at MD, and I got a super deal on a pair of 806V in ebony. I sent the 705Vs back and the 806V have been connected to my audio system for over two months now. The 806V does everything right, and if there's bass in the music, the 806V performs flawlessly.

I sit maybe a foot further from my speakers than my speakers are apart. They are about 7 ft apart at there centers. My ears are maybe 4 inches higher than my tweeters.
You must sit on a high chair or booster seat. :D Don't you have a pair of Electra 1008Be towers?

EDIT: Nevermind. I realized the tweeter is between the midrange and midbass drivers.

Last edited:
Well, the reviews on the Focal 705V were spot on, lacking bass. I spoke to my salesman at MD, and I got a super deal on a pair of 806V in ebony. I sent the 705Vs back and the 806V have been connected to my audio system for over two months now. The 806V does everything right, and if there's bass in the music, the 806V performs flawlessly.
:thmbsp: Good choice.

Mine are set around 9 1/2ft apart which is around 1ft farther than the speakers' distance to my ears. My ears are almost level with the tweeters - depending on how I position myself on the futon couch. I would love to get a comfy listening chair where I could kick back and be at the right height/distance but she-who-must-be-obeyed will not allow furniture changes in "my" room. I can't complain though since she has let me live after spending too much on equipment and albums. :yes:

I'm glad you are enjoying your speakers!

I heard the same type of difference when auditioning the tower versions. The 714v sounded great but the 816v seemed to have more bass and overall more presence. I enjoyed the 816v towers for years. The only reason I replaced them was that I found a pair of 1027be towers at an incredibly good price.

I ordered a pair of Focal Aria 906's after a week long in-house demo; was blown away with how smooth they were across all genre's of music. Those flax drivers are something else. I can't wait for them to arrive! Now just need to find a worthy integrated to go with them over my current NAD C320BEE :)

I ordered a pair of Focal Aria 906's after a week long in-house demo; was blown away with how smooth they were across all genre's of music. Those flax drivers are something else. I can't wait for them to arrive! Now just need to find a worthy integrated to go with them over my current NAD C320BEE :)

If you like the Jolida FX-10 sound you could try the JD502CRC with the Arias. I have a JD502BRC that was upgraded by Jerred Dunkerson at Jolida Maryland. To me, the 502 paired with KT-88s is a great match with my Electras. It softens the tweeters just enough to eliminate harshness and retain all of the clarity. It easily pushes the Focal's low end too.

The only caveat is that I have not listened to the new flax drivers. I don't know if the flax drivers are so different they would not pair well with tubes. Jolida says the FX-10 can push 89db speakers - maybe try hooking them up to see how the combo sounds.

Congrats! :thmbsp: I'd love to audition a pair, but I'd have to drive to Chicago to do it. Nothing quite like living in the middle of a cow pasture.

Congrats! :thmbsp: I'd love to audition a pair, but I'd have to drive to Chicago to do it. Nothing quite like living in the middle of a cow pasture.

Good news Dr. Morbius! You can audition the Aria line just a few cow pastures to the East. I just called Hanson Audio http://www.hansonav.com/ to double check. It carries the full Focal line including the Aria series. Hansen is a just couple hours East in Dayton OH.

I visited Hanson's showroom a couple years ago. They have speakers at almost all price points available to audition. If you go over there I have one caution. Only listen to speakers in your price range. Just for the heck of it they let me start with a room they set up for another customer. The room had $25k Magico speakers powered by huge Boulder amps. After experiencing that set up it was difficult to listen to speakers in my price range.

When I called a little while ago the manager was very surprised Focal did not list his store as carrying the Aria line. He was going to contact Focal about their website error right after he finished with my call.

Good news Dr. Morbius! You can audition the Aria line just a few cow pastures to the East. I just called Hanson Audio http://www.hansonav.com/ to double check. It carries the full Focal line including the Aria series. Hansen is a just couple hours East in Dayton OH.
Thanks! It really irks me that a town that's less than 17% of the size of Indy population wise has a Focal dealer and we don't. That speaks volumes about our local culture or lack thereof.

The Arias finally came in! Got them quickly set up and started breaking them in. Very impressive set of monitors, I am a convert Focal fan for sure.

Wondering now how much more I can get out of them by upgrading from the NAD C320BEE they are hooked up with now...

posted image

The Arias finally came in! Got them quickly set up and started breaking them in. Very impressive set of monitors, I am a convert Focal fan for sure.

Wondering now how much more I can get out of them by upgrading from the NAD C320BEE they are hooked up with now...

posted image

You might do well to consider a NAIM NAIT 5si integrated amp with those speakers! And ah...they look great on those stands! Congrats.

Last edited:
How do Focals get along with tubes? :scratch2:

cubdog

I'm running Aria 906s with a PrimaLuna Prologue Premium and it's a great sounding combination.

To the OP, congrats on the Arias. Mine were originally paired with a NAD C326BEE and I did notice a dramatic improvement going to the PrimaLuna, so it's worth exploring upgrades or changes to other components in the chain.

I did not notice it was mentioned here but, Music Direct has a speaker sale with the 826V with the biggest discount. 50% off! I think the 836V was 40% off.

As I was desperately in need of a new pair of speakers, though worried about not auditioning them as there is not a dealer anywhere near me, I could`nt pass up getting them for $1,350, no tax or shipping charges, 2 day delivery. Still breaking them in, but they are impressive.

Merry Christmas

I did not notice it was mentioned here but, Music Direct has a speaker sale with the 826V with the biggest discount. 50% off! I think the 836V was 40% off.

As I was desperately in need of a new pair of speakers, though worried about not auditioning them as there is not a dealer anywhere near me, I could`nt pass up getting them for $1,350, no tax or shipping charges, 2 day delivery. Still breaking them in, but they are impressive.

Merry Christmas

Nice Christmas Gift!! I had 816Vs for years - loved them. They had a clear, full sound. Yours will sound even better. ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom