TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

The two board layouts look very different, one looks to have a much bigger heatsink too (the one without the psu).
Any thoughts on the differences?
Chris

Last edited:
Just like to add a little thank you note to Poultrygeist for bringing the TPA3116 amps to my attention :thmbsp:. I've been following this and other 3116 threads for a while and thanks to PG I now own blue-black, Ybdz, audiobah and yellow boards, and 6n3 3 tube and Little Bear 6n3 preamps. And I do mean thank you. TPA3116 currently drive my main system of B200 open baffles (FAST) and the second with Kef101 stand mounts. Amazing amps with sound way above their price point.

On my open baffles audiobah has richest mid-range, yellow has more extended high freq and ybdz a combo of the two - more flavours than outright winners. They play very differently with my low efficiency Kef101s, where I find blue-black is the one with the most balanced frequency response, although it is a clear least fav on OB. Although I'm lucky - my blue-black has little to no pop. All way better then my old Trends tripath amp.
I tend to favour the 3 tube preamp over the Little Bear (with same tubes), finding the 3 tube clearer and less 'tubey' - although Little Bear is still very enjoyable - just my personal taste. All amps are currently driven off 12V battery, although I do see an Ariston future. Once again, thank you PG

Canz,
Which one of your boards is a better match with the P3? Or do they sound the same? I also prefer the 3 tube preamp over the P3 for my blue-black moded board but I can't tell for the other boards. Do you use all the boards in stock form?
Thank you!

Whats the difference between the buffer and no buffer 6n3 preamps, or more to the point whats a buffer and do i need one?

The 6n3 three tube is a preamp as it has gain.

On ebay you'll see preamps and tube buffers used to describe the same gear. Probably because they can be included in a wider search.

I heard there was 40$ worth of P&H. 155$ is getting expensive for a TPA3116 amp. The TDA4798e would make a better alternative at this price.

What's P&H?
The price at YJ is $115 + ship. But there is also one attractive offer privided by member dlh2, few posts above.
TDA4798 is another animal, but if you think it's better go for it and come back to tell how does it perform :smoke:

Last edited:
Canz,
Which one of your boards is a better match with the P3? Or do they sound the same? I also prefer the 3 tube preamp over the P3 for my blue-black moded board but I can't tell for the other boards. Do you use all the boards in stock form?
Thank you!

I prefer the 3 tube over little Bear P3 with all boards as IMO, it is more detailed/transparent and has less added tube warmth. I think each preamp merely brings its own signature to the respective boards and there is really no 'best' combo. All my boards are unmodded. My yellow board is the completed unit available on ebay, which I run with the volume pot wide open behind the preamp. The yellow is the only board I have run without a preamp and I found it significantly better with one.

With regards to TDA4798e boards - the one black board I tried

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-New-TDA...650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540c378f6a

, while nice enough, sounded rolled off in the higher frequencies - a fact made very apparent upon quick switch to a TPA3116 board.

Anyone?
Chris

The larger heat-sink on this amplifier you mean?
Topology of the board/amp is different, it has air core inductors, two inputs,..
it's declared on 55+55W p/ch on 8 ohm, and has P/S of 19V / 5.3 A. It's obviously for the needs of more power from the chip, so for the safety reasons they simply placed larger heat-sink?! IMHO
So you obviously haven't seen heat-sink on Sure's board yet? :scratch2:

The larger heat-sink on this amplifier you mean?
Topology of the board/amp is different, it has air core inductors, two inputs,..
it's declared on 55+55W p/ch on 8 ohm, and has P/S of 19V / 5.3 A. It's obviously for the needs of more power from the chip, so for the safety reasons they simply placed larger heat-sink?! IMHO
So you obviously haven't seen heat-sink on Sure's board yet? :scratch2:

Wow, no I hadnt!
Now I am wondering which to buy? I am thinking to get one decent board or even a full made amp for myself which will go in my dining room system. If I like it I might make up active units for my ATC's ie three for each speaker, but they will have to be good for me to consider this.
Regards
Chris

power at 19V for SMSL sa60 2x55w@10%THD 8ohm, so the latest chinese tpa3116 chip is far more powerfull than Texas Instruments TPA3116D2

3225.ScreenClip.png

I recommended the SMSL SA-36A PRO to friend looking to improve his desktop sound. He ordered one and while we were waiting for it I directed him to a nice pair of PSB Alpha B speakers. The fellow selling them deals a lot in vintage gear and said the little chip amp would not be sufficient to drive them. I just got back from hooking it all up with a CA DacMagic I no loner needed. Wow! We just did some quick listening on internet radio and one CD off his computer drive but it was pretty nice. I was worried it might sound a little thin a low volumes due to the lack of Loudness or tone controls. Not the case and as far as driving the PSB (I was not really worried), the volume was fine at 1/4, pretty loud at 1/3 with headroom to spare. Impressive fit and finish as well.

Anxious for mine to arrive!

I have now received my Sure board plus the 2 valve YJ preamp. I'm running the preamp with stock Chinese valves, but have some GE JAN 5670W valves on the way. The amp is driving a pair of TABAQ (see diyaudio) MLTL speakers wth the 4 inch full range drive unit. The power amp is being powered by a 19v laptop power supply.

This setup sounds far better than it has any right to at the cost. The sound was on the bright side until the valves had a few hours on them. I would say that once warmed up, the system sounds a little warmer than I would like with perhaps some midrange detail lacking. However, I expect the GE valves to remedy this particular issue. The soundstage is bit too forward - I like my vocalists to be a bit further back. I've no doubt that better cabling and EMI/RFI shielding when I mount the components in proper boxes (rather than on thick cardboard) will help too.

For those nervous about going the DIY route, I can assure you that it really is easy to get a working pre/power system up and running with minimal skill. The hardest part will be housing the components, not dealing with the electrical side. The Sure TPA3116 is incredibly easy to set up and if you do not want the valve preamp, their £8 volume control board is an alternative (this needs a separate power supply - 12v I think).

Have the same YJ (buffer)preamp. and I prefer Russian tubes 6N3P-EV with it.
GE JAN 5670W tubes make the sound 'boomy' and 'obscure'.
Well, that's my experience, while I also replaced WIMA polyester caps with MPX - metallized polypropylene's. (just not fan of polyester, nowhere in the signal path)

Back
Top Bottom