from Rogue Sphinx to Cronus Magnum?

mcanaday

Hi audiophiles,

Currently, my system is a Rogue Sphinx amplifier, a Rega Apollo-R cd player, a Rega RP6 TT with exact cartridge, and Kef LS50 speakers. I am enjoying this very much, but have been wondering about upgrading to a Cronus Magnum at some point. In part, I am curious about a tube amp (have never had one) and I also am interested in doing the best I can by these great speakers.

Has anyone made this move from Sphinx to Cronus Magnum? I'd be curious about any observations.

Also, is anyone running the Cronus Magnum with the Kef LS50s? What do you think of the combination?

Finally, if I eventually want to upgrade to an external phono stage (and assuming I stay with the Exact cartridge), would I be better off with a Rogue Triton or a Rega Aria? The half size of the Rega is appealing because I could slide it into my rack next to the Apollo-R without adding a shelf, but I could add a shelf if I had to.

Thanks for your thoughts! Happy Thanksgiving!

Margot

I haven't actually heard a Cronus Magnum, but I do own LS50's and I have always thought that the Cronus Mag would be an excellent match. If I come across a screaming deal on CM I'll probably give it a try someday. They seem to be pretty universally praised.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have Tubes!

The amp you have, has tubes. Its a hybrid...and in your case, meaning its tubes as well as a digital amplifier. If you want a little more tube warmth you'd have to play around with different tubes to see which ones would satisfy you the most. Also, certain interconnect cables and power cords can help you with the warmth as well. Two such cables that seem to let the tube warmth shine through are the Triode wire Labs power cables as well as the Wire World Electra 7 power cord. But seeing you have a integrated amp, I would go for the Triode Wire Labs. The Wire World seems to perform best with preamps as well as CDP's.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Much appreciated. And I haven't paid much attention to cables and power cords, but realize that is another way to fine tune things. What gauge wire would you suggest with the Triode Wire Labs for power cord for the Sphinx? 10 or 7?

with thanks!

Margot

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Much appreciated. And I haven't paid much attention to cables and power cords, but realize that is another way to fine tune things. What gauge wire would you suggest with the Triode Wire Labs for power cord for the Sphinx? 10 or 7?

with thanks!

Margot

No offense to the cable suggester, but I think if the cables change the sound signature THAT much, they are broken/adding distortion

Back
Top Bottom