SAE is back!

Interesting, but the website he mentioned is just a place marker with nothing about SAE.

Sae Professional Audio is a Chinese company formed in 1996 while SAE states it links like back 5 decades. Likely, the SAE company acquired the trademarks from the original company or even bought the SAE corporation, assuming it was shelled and was a self company. A number of companies will by the corporation after it has gone through bankruptcy and nothing is left except the trademarks and maybe tax credits. Considering the current state of many Chinese companies' use of trademarks, it is unlikely any would seek an injunction. Most of these companies never trademark in the US and in this case if attempted, it likely would have been challenged by the trademark office or SAE trademark owner.

It would be interesting and great if SAE produces as high a quality product as it once did. The name still has street cred, so to speak as they never compromised quality, something many others did as they spiraled downwards.

Thought I saw some $15k price tags somewhere recently. I'll try to dig it up.

They look every bit of it, those chromed units. I think it would be a shame in a way.

When I sold SAE at Tech Hi Fi back in the day, it was a step up from the Nikko, Hitachi, Kenwood, Pioneer, Technics, JVC, Onkyo, Aiwa, & Toshiba. We also sold Crown, which was perhaps a bit more expensive, but it was not an unaffordable Uber-high end brand. If you saved your money, SAE was within the grasp of many. I spend quite a bit on equipment, and I just love things audio, but even I don't own a $15K single piece of gear. SAE was upscale, but was not targeted (I don't think) at the Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson crowd of the day.

Speaking of all this, and being already gladdened and shocked at the possible resurgence of SAE, I stumbled upon this which shocked me even more:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...QZRI521Kb6LnTLOrA&sig2=ZGkRr66yu6atqBqQcPTMMQ

Sae vs ati?

As the original owner of some great old SAE equipment I have been surprised at how good it still sounds. I also own some ATI gear, a 1502 power amp which is the successor company to SAE's founder Morris Kessler. If you have never heard ATI, you might be very surprised. Its well designed, well made SS gear that is not well known outside of the installer universe. the company has recently come out with some Signature amps that look like they would be worth auditioning. I too have seen the new SAE equipment but cant find out if is being made by ATI. ATI makes lots of OEM equipment for other brands,eg. Outlaw Audio and many more. Be interesting to see where this all goes and what happens with the "new" SAE. They introduced two very high end pieces at a show recently and it was surprising given that the overall high end market is not exactly thriving. I use my ATI amp for a few months each year alternating with some McIntosh equipment that I like. I figure using each ensures that the caps stay in good shape.

I grabbed a screen shot from Bigyank's CEDIA review web site posted above.

..... I too have seen the new SAE equipment but cant find out if is being made by ATI. ATI makes lots of OEM equipment for other brands,eg. Outlaw Audio and many more. Be interesting to see where this all goes and what happens with the "new" SAE.....

In my attached screen shot image, you can see an ATI manufacture label on the rear panel of the new SAE 8300 amp.

Attachments

• SAE, by ATI.jpg
    SAE, by ATI.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 44
I'm glad that Morris and ATI have revived the name. I sold SAE at retail back in the mid '70s. We had the Mark I preamp and the Mark IIIC power amp ( a Jim Bongiorno design ) on display in our main room. Elsewhere we had the Mark XXX series on display. It was always great gear.

New SAE vs. New ATI Signature amps

I looked at ATIs site to see if SAE was mentioned. Saw nothing there. However, there were new Morris Kessler Signature amps which looked interesting. Maybe there is more going on in the high end than it seems?

Back
Top Bottom