Totem Hawks on their way - Rogue Sphinx or Cronus Magnum?

AlphaEcho35

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
With my new Totem Hawks on their way, I am considering two different Rogue Audio amps - the Class D Sphinx at 100wpc or the Cronus Magnum KT120 tube amp, also at 100wpc.

Obviously, two different approaches - solid state or tube. I am leaning toward the Cronus Magnum, but I have been reading good things about the Sphinx (not to mention it has a much more attractive price.) I plan to call Rogue Audio directly to discuss, but I'm afraid they'll be too biased to selling me their more expensive amplifier.

Amyone have any experience powering the Hawks with SS versus tube?

Personally I would go with the Cronus Magnum and I would go used, there are several on Audiogon right now.

If it is not to your liking you can resell if and not be out a bunch of $$.

I have not heard the Hawks but did have a set of Rainmakers and they had a nice synergy with a 35W PrimaLuna Integrated.

Good luck and enjoy your new speakers.

Tough question. My experience with Totem has been that they generally like SS more. They need some balls and some control. BUT, my experience with the Hawks is limited.

I ran a pair of totem staffs with a cronus magnum last year, ended up selling the totems. while brilliant speakers, the listener fatigue set in rather quickly. initial impressions of the coupling was joyous and bloomful. but the added 'coloration' of the sound firstly by the tube amp, then by the totems just became too much for me for extended listening. just my take.

Try the Sphinx

gguillot:
I have a Rogue Sphinx driving a pair of Nola Boxers and I really like the synergy there. I have been trying to drive another pair of Boxers with Tube integrated amps but not 100% satisfied yet. My guess is that the Sphinx will be better than the Cronus Magnum but I don't really know so I recommend you try both of them to find out - work with a dealer, borrow from local audio nuts, whatever it takes. Listening in your room is the ONLY way to answer this question...

Good luck!
Mike

I ran a pair of totem staffs with a cronus magnum last year, ended up selling the totems. while brilliant speakers, the listener fatigue set in rather quickly. initial impressions of the coupling was joyous and bloomful. but the added 'coloration' of the sound firstly by the tube amp, then by the totems just became too much for me for extended listening. just my take.

Listening fatigue is my number one concern about going SS. The Hawks seem to be on the "warm" side compared to my Zu Omens, which are much more efficient and highly detailed. They sound more similar to my Monitor Audio Silver 5's, just with increased extension into the lower frequencies.

Actually they will give you a pretty objective opinion if you call them. They're great folks to work with.

gguillot:
so I recommend you try both of them to find out - work with a dealer, borrow from local audio nuts, whatever it takes. Listening in your room is the ONLY way to answer this question...

Good luck!
Mike

Lots of great advice itt, but really this is the only way to really know. If it were me, I'd order both and demo them in whatever set up I was putting them in for at least a week with all sorts of music at all sorts of sound levels. Then I'd return or sell the "loser" amp back (or keep it for another system to perhaps replace a previous amp if I thought it would pair better with that different set up).

Imo, though, from the Totem's I've heard (so many I don't even remember them all), they tend to be warm/colored so I'd go with a more neutral amp to tame that coloration so they didn't get fatiguing in a colored way (that is, while the fun and unique colored sound might sound great at first, after awhile you're--or at least I would be--going to be wanting more neutrality, especially if you listen to a lot of different genres of music and need more of an all-rounder).

Lots of great advice itt, but really this is the only way to really know. If it were me, I'd order both and demo them in whatever set up I was putting them in for at least a week with all sorts of music at all sorts of sound levels. Then I'd return or sell the "loser" amp back (or keep it for another system to perhaps replace a previous amp if I thought it would pair better with that different set up).

Imo, though, from the Totem's I've heard (so many I don't even remember them all), they tend to be warm/colored so I'd go with a more neutral amp to tame that coloration so they didn't get fatiguing in a colored way (that is, while the fun and unique colored sound might sound great at first, after awhile you're--or at least I would be--going to be wanting more neutrality, especially if you listen to a lot of different genres of music and need more of an all-rounder).

I wish we had the retailers around here locally to be able to have the luxury to try them at home, but we don't. :no:

I wish we had the retailers around here locally to be able to have the luxury to try them at home, but we don't. :no:

Where in Texas hill country are you? You might be able to listen to a few different amps if you're not already settled on Rogue only.

I'm in San Antonio. I've heard a few really nice ones in our audio group here in town (the River City Audio Society.) My criteria is 100wpc, made in USA, under $2500. Kinda narrows the playing field.

Actually, as soon as the Totems arrive, I'll pair them up with my Marantz 2270. That should be plenty power to drive them for now.

I have heard the Hawks and prefer their tonal balance over their TOTL Wind speaker.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=431886

I did extensive research on the Hawks before I had a chance to listen to them in person, and everything I read was true to my ears. A very flat speaker with uncanny lower end presence for their diminutive size. I keep getting up to look for the subwoofer connection on the back of the amp.

Many forum threads and reviews stated that the Hawks are the sweet spot in the Totem lineup. I did not get a chance to hear anything else from Totem, but I was pleased enough with what I heard to stop my search and plunk down the money to own a set. The most painful thing will be the 80 hours to break them in. (But I'll survive. :yes:)

I've listened to both the Sphinx and the Cronus Magnum extensively and they are very, very different. Everything that I've liked about Rogue was obvious in the Cronus...the rich, full sound that extended far lower than what I've expected a moderately powered tube amp can do. On the otter hand I've yet to hear a class D amp that I've really liked and I was hoping a tube-centric company like Rogue could change that. It didn't do it for me.

I've listened to both the Sphinx and the Cronus Magnum extensively and they are very, very different. Everything that I've liked about Rogue was obvious in the Cronus...the rich, full sound that extended far lower than what I've expected a moderately powered tube amp can do. On the otter hand I've yet to hear a class D amp that I've really liked and I was hoping a tube-centric company like Rogue could change that. It didn't do it for me.

This is exactly why I'm hesitant to take a chance on the Sphinx. There are a few decent options on Audiogon for some older Rogue models, but the designs seem to all be similar to the current Cronus Magnum model. KT88's to KT120'. 80 to 120wpc. Totem recommends at least 60wpc, so all seem like a safe bet to provide enough power to the Hawks

Back
Top Bottom