Advice on speakers/amp?

Deved

Hi, apologies if I've put this in the wrong subforum, but I'm looking to try and build a sound system from scratch and I'd imagine that I'll be going for predominantly new gear.

I should say straight from the off that I'm a virtual know-nothing with this kind of thing, so if I'm way off the mark with anything then I'd be very greatful if someone would put me right.

The deal is, my old housemate moved out recently taking his stellar speakers/sub/amp/turntables combo with him :thumbsdn:. As a result, I'm left with a set-up that's way below where I'd like it to be, so I'd like to upgrade.

I've got no big vinyl or CD collection, so anything that's going to be built around playing a physical medium is an irrelevance to me. Most of the music I play is through either my laptop, or another number of devices that are gonna be compatible with a 3.5mm jack input. I was thinking of going with a standard amp and two speaker set-up, but have really no idea what I should be looking for in terms of specs. The system will be going in a relatively small living room. Having it on loud isn't an issue, although with it not being set-up in some cavernous space I'm not sure if that should be affecting what I'm looking for?

Ideally I'd like to construct the whole thing for sub-£300, although if this is wildly unreasonable I'd stretch to £500ish. I'd asked around previously and I was recommended a set of Q2020i's, but was also advised that I'd be much better off asking on here for quality guidance.

I haven't exactly got my heart set on a speaker/amp combo, so if there's a good alternative that I've completely missed through my ignorance then I'd be more than happy to be put right.

Thanks.

Not sure if Parts Express is available where you live, but you could do worse than a Sherwood 4105 stereo receiver at $117 US. No phono stage like the 4109 has but better THD specs and you're not interested in playing records anyway. This option will leave you room for better speakers. Purchased one for my son last yr along with a pair of NOS Infinty RS-325's and the combo sounds fantastic. The amp has a three yr warranty so my son can enjoy worry free music.

Last edited:
Well since a pc is your source you could rock a great headphone amp/headphone combo. Like something from Schitt and some nice Senns say HD600s. If you want to go with speakers I'd look for a nice usb dac/amp. I think Cambridge makes one in your neck of the woods; not really sure what's available in Europe. Speakers, well Diamond 10.1s are nice and not costly.

Back
Top Bottom