Yamaha CR840 - crackle in phono stage

purkolator

Hi all,

I've got a Yamaha CR840 that I am using as the receiver in my main listening system. Recently I noticed that there is a crackle of some sort happening in the phono stage. The odd thing is that the crackle is noticeable just after picking up the needle and for a few seconds afterwards, but tends to settle down to no crackle withing 5-10 seconds. The offending sounds is admittedly very low in level. I can only really hear it when I've got the system turned up fairly loud. But then, I do a lot of my listening at pretty decent levels so it is bothersome. I don't hear the sounds on any other inputs. Also, I've tried the same TT plugged into another receiver and no crackle. I suppose I'm guessing that it is a capacitor problem and thinking it's time to a full recap. Just thought I'd throw it out here first to see if any other ideas crop up.

thanks all
Brad

Hi all,

I've got a Yamaha CR840 that I am using as the receiver in my main listening system. Recently I noticed that there is a crackle of some sort happening in the phono stage. The odd thing is that the crackle is noticeable just after picking up the needle and for a few seconds afterwards, but tends to settle down to no crackle withing 5-10 seconds. The offending sounds is admittedly very low in level. I can only really hear it when I've got the system turned up fairly loud. But then, I do a lot of my listening at pretty decent levels so it is bothersome. I don't hear the sounds on any other inputs. Also, I've tried the same TT plugged into another receiver and no crackle. I suppose I'm guessing that it is a capacitor problem and thinking it's time to a full recap. Just thought I'd throw it out here first to see if any other ideas crop up.

thanks all
Brad
Try to deoxit the input selector switch.

Try to deoxit the input selector switch.

Yes, and while you're in there also DeoxIT the other controls including speaker selector, balance, variable loudness, and volume. All of those can cause crackling and intermittent channel dropouts on my CR-840, but when the controls are clean there's no problem.

If you do all that and still have the crackling noise, you can take the troubleshooting to the next level.

other controls including speaker selector, balance, variable loudness, and volume
Yes. But that would cause problems in all input selects. Not just the phono.

Can't it be just static electricity that jumps from the vinyl to the needle?? Maybe something has changed in your setup, or the grounding is not properly connected.

Back
Top Bottom