Specs for coupler switch on CA-1010?

Difficult to find a similar switch here in the country. Thought I was clever and just bypassed the damn switch with a cable. Lo and behold, the crackling is still appearing regardless of the switch position.
What a piece of shit the CAxx10 series is. My CA-810 had the same problems just after a couple of years use, paid half a monthly wage for it as a young man, but had to sell it cheap.
So after spraying the effing switch with almost half a can of contact cleaner and pushing it up and down a thousand times, what else can I do? Hardwire the ****ing thing or send it into the nearest dumpster after taking out all the expensive caps I put into it?

Difficult to find a similar switch here in the country. Thought I was clever and just bypassed the damn switch with a cable. Lo and behold, the crackling is still appearing regardless of the switch position.
What a piece of shit the CAxx10 series is. My CA-810 had the same problems just after a couple of years use, paid half a monthly wage for it as a young man, but had to sell it cheap.
So after spraying the effing switch with almost half a can of contact cleaner and pushing it up and down a thousand times, what else can I do? Hardwire the ****ing thing or send it into the nearest dumpster after taking out all the expensive caps I put into it?

Hmm .. Maybe the problem is not the switch. If you by-passed the switch and the problem still exists.Possibly bad relay contacts, something to ponder over! CA-1010/810 are excellent amplifiers. BTW its almost impossible to get slide switches totally deox'd without disassembling the switch and polishing the slides.

the crackling is still appearing regardless of the switch position.

Crackling...Both channels ?Sounds like a transistor breaking down. Post a photo of the power supply board.

Crackling...Both channels ?Sounds like a transistor breaking down. Post a photo of the power supply board.

It has been only the right channel, before and after. It works fine with the source connected to the power amp input.

Latest development: when one channel dies, I push the woofer (JBL L100) inwards fast and the sound returns for a while. The channel fallout occurs after several hours of playing. If I increase the volume in a burst, the right channel works longer than with a woofer push. Sounds like a faulty cap, but I have replaced all elcos. Does this implicate the relay or smth else?

Last edited:
If I increase the volume in a burst
Sounds like the protect relay contacts . Next time instead of woofer pushing ? Or volume cranking. Tap on the relay.( the relay on the underside of the amplifier )

Wiggled (not tapping) the relay a little and the sounds goes on and off, even in the left channel. Will test to resolder it.

Last edited:
Is the protection relay really on the PSU board, directly under the input and switching board?
Resoldered, but still shutting off a little when I wiggle it. Weird. Is it possible to clean the switch surfaces?

Last edited:
Is the protection relay really on the PSU board, directly under the input and switching board?
Resoldered, but still shutting off a little when I wiggle it. Weird. Is it possible to clean the switch surfaces?
You can try cleaning the contacts on the relay. But its usually a short term fix. Personally I´d replace it.
Yes the protect relay is on the PS board. The other relay is for class A switching of power transformer windings.

exact drop-in replacements
Panasonic
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HL2-HP-DC12V-F/255-2395-ND/1956559

or...
Omron
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LY2-0-DC12/Z978-ND/207090

Last edited:
Finally got to replacing the relay. Hoping that this was the problem and that it is now solved...now it's only the left channel sound residue left.
Has any of you noticed a slight sound improvement with a new relay or am I imagining things?

Back
Top Bottom