Yamaha RX-V2400 comes on and shuts off immediately...ugh

gentlejax

I just got this. I Had a bad feeling when I got it off ebay but it was less than $100 so I took a gamble.

As soon as I power it on it shuts back off. nothing connected to it.

someone point me in the right direction. if I have to send it back to the seller its going to cost a bit. I may consider fixing althought I havnt dont this type of work.

ive contacted the seller but I havnt heard yet, only have had the unit for less than 1 hr.

If the unit does this without any spkrs connected the amplifier is in protect mode/blown. I would refund the unit as these can be very expensive and hard to repair with all the Integrated Circuits.

seller is going to try to screw me on it I can already tell. He was not a good seller to begin with before I got the busted unit. I was so close to asking for refund before he shipped it too...

Pretty hard for a buyer on e-bay to get screwed these days. Sellers are the one's more likely to be screwed.

That may be true but I still have to ship it back and seller isn't required to pay for that so the end result I lose money

Bought my RX-V2400 for $20 as a throw in to a pair of BD-10s

I just purchased a used pair of Boston Acoustics BD-10s they sound great one passive woofer needs to be re-foamed but for $50 a pair thumbs up.
I also bought his Yamaha RX-V2400 for $20 the little detachable motherboard
where you plug in the power cord is missing a circuit (will show in picture).
So I knew I would either need to find a parts receiver, or get real lucky and find a good motherboard or find the exact circuit and put it in then solder and
see if that lets me turn the receiver on.

I took pictures of the motherboard including close-ups of where the circuit went bad and was pulled. IT is shaped like a rectangle. Hopefully this will be clear in the pics I show.
Either way $20 was certainly a acceptable risk if the whole thing is a bust.
I need a remote also but I won't bother with that unless I get the darn thing
powered up and playing music.

Im guessing the circuit that went bad is of course a yamaha specific circuit
and will be super hard to find gotta hope for a parts unit that powers up on ebay that is in Southern California so I pick it up instead of paying $40 in shipping.

thanx all best of luck with your receiver returning something big sucks like you said cause its $40-50 bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 40
I tried to get seller to work with me on shipping and he argued with me. I told him it never worked and i had pics and video less than 30 minutes after I got it. He had zero proof it worked. his pics were not powered on which should have been red flag..

anyhow..he then told me to just keep it. I still have it and am sending it back I just keep forgetting.

I told him he was crazy to sell something that cost so much to ship without testing first..

That stinks

I tried to get seller to work with me on shipping and he argued with me. I told him it never worked and i had pics and video less than 30 minutes after I got it. He had zero proof it worked. his pics were not powered on which should have been red flag..

anyhow..he then told me to just keep it. I still have it and am sending it back I just keep forgetting.

I told him he was crazy to sell something that cost so much to ship without testing first..

So many people are jerks like that these days. If it was a wristwatch returning it would be no problem.

What about the free insurance for everything under $100 on ebay.
Do they still have that?

I have bought 3 RX-V2400's. 1 from an AK'er and 2 from Ebay. All three arrived damaged. :tears: The least damaged of the three was the the only working unit. They are a heavy receiver and people underestimate the packing needed to ship them. I still have one dead one, same thing powers up, shuts off. Only good thing from the whole ordeal is I have 3 remotes and 2 of the calibration mics.

I wonder if you hooked up speakers would it power on? IIRC some amps have this feature, no speakers wired to the amp, it turns off. It's too much trouble to move the cabinet etc (heavy) or I would dis-connect my speaker wires and turn it on. I have a 2400 from 2004 that is still in use (bedroom system now). If it had HDMI it would still be in the HT room. Open the top and look for a blown fuse or burnt looking parts on the PCB's. My newer HD RX-V1900 has a system "RE Set" for firmware issue.. :scratch2: I just don't re-call on the older 2400. I will look for my owners manual and see if there is a FAQ about this problem. Call Yamaha Tech Support tomorrow if speakers are hooked up, but read the owners manual about a system re-set, not sure it will help as your 2400 may have issues. I hope AKer "Avionic" will see this thread and respond........ not sure if he repairs AVR like he does the vintage Yamaha amps etc. Good Luck as the 2400 It's worth a little trouble to try to fix as it really plays stereo Great( for my speakers) and hooked up to a flat screen it decodes DVD movies DD 5.1 really good.It received a really good write /review when it was new, Burr Brown DAC 130X7 ( so they claim) room correction feature with mic (YAPO) zones etc TT, Tape in and out for analog.Pure Direct Mode :thmbsp:. Good luck and post up if you have any info. Hope mine doe not quit.....:sigh: it's been played hard for almost 10 years now.

I have bought 3 RX-V2400's. 1 from an AK'er and 2 from Ebay. All three arrived damaged. :tears: The least damaged of the three was the the only working unit. They are a heavy receiver and people underestimate the packing needed to ship them. I still have one dead one, same thing powers up, shuts off. Only good thing from the whole ordeal is I have 3 remotes and 2 of the calibration mics.

I know the feeling too. I just bought a RX-V2095 for $45 bucks. But, it arrived DOA. Barely even packed. A flimsy, thin cardboard box, with a thin layer of packing popcorn! So, of course, one corner of the front face plate was dented, as well as it not powering on. All the fuses looked good, so I'll check the power supply, for the known 'dead cap issue' next. :tears:

In the mean-time, I ebay'd a RX-V3000 today, for $75.00! I hope it arrives in better shape than the 2095! The seller promised that it works, and offered a full refund, including shipping costs too, if received otherwise. :yes:

I hope all of our Yamaha issues resolve themselves!!! :D

I figured out how to re-set my RX-V2400. After reading this thread I pulled mine out of the closet and it is doing the same thing. Turn it on and shuts off. I found a thread from 2005 on a Ht Forum on how to set the system. This info is not in the owners manual as as I stumbled onto the diagnostic mode and went into Analog Default and played it for a hour to warm it all up from setting in the box for several years.

1. With receiver off

2. On the front panel, press the right side of the FM "Preset/Tuning" button and the button "A/B/C/D/E" that store the FM stations.

While holding those 2 buttons, press and hold the Power Button on the front panel and hold all 3 buttons for 5 seconds or more before releasing.

3. Turn the "Program" knob to #11 on the display.

4. Press the right side of the "Preset/Tuning" button and search for "Preset RSRV".

5. Hit the power button while the display shows "Preset RSRV" and leave the unit off for 15 seconds or more. Then turn it back on or in our case turn it on and everything should be back to Factory defaults.

This did not work the first few times I tried it as my 2400 was stored for several years. I found the "Analog Default" on the display while searching for the "Preset RSRV" setting and my 2400 stayed ON with "Analog Default" displayed then I hooked up my CD player and played music with two little speakers I had on the bench and let the 2400 warm up for a hour. Then I went thru steps 1 thru 5 again and now my 2400 is back like new again. I also found the Fan check in High mode and 15 or so different codes in the processor I did NOT change.

It seems a Yamaha Factory Tech at a Yamaha Repair center in 2005 emailed this info to access the "Diagnostic Mode" to a 2400 owner and he posted back then. I spent several hours looking for a system reset online and read any thread on different music forums I have never heard off. Non use for long periods of time is a :nono: I was lucky my 2400 powered back up. I read about a "Variac" and powering up PCB's slowly to keep from a Hard Start on dormant caps that can and often ruin the power supply caps etc.....the big expensive one's. I just found out the hard way on a NIB 1999 amp that was been stored 15 years. Hope this helps.

Louis

did not see this t ill now...I am going to try this. the seller ended up telling me to keep the unit and its still in the box I was sending it back to him in. time to unwrap it and see.

I figured out how to re-set my RX-V2400. After reading this thread I pulled mine out of the closet and it is doing the same thing. Turn it on and shuts off. I found a thread from 2005 on a Ht Forum on how to set the system. This info is not in the owners manual as as I stumbled onto the diagnostic mode and went into Analog Default and played it for a hour to warm it all up from setting in the box for several years.

1. With receiver off

2. On the front panel, press the right side of the FM "Preset/Tuning" button and the button "A/B/C/D/E" that store the FM stations.

While holding those 2 buttons, press and hold the Power Button on the front panel and hold all 3 buttons for 5 seconds or more before releasing.

3. Turn the "Program" knob to #11 on the display.

4. Press the right side of the "Preset/Tuning" button and search for "Preset RSRV".

5. Hit the power button while the display shows "Preset RSRV" and leave the unit off for 15 seconds or more. Then turn it back on or in our case turn it on and everything should be back to Factory defaults.

This did not work the first few times I tried it as my 2400 was stored for several years. I found the "Analog Default" on the display while searching for the "Preset RSRV" setting and my 2400 stayed ON with "Analog Default" displayed then I hooked up my CD player and played music with two little speakers I had on the bench and let the 2400 warm up for a hour. Then I went thru steps 1 thru 5 again and now my 2400 is back like new again. I also found the Fan check in High mode and 15 or so different codes in the processor I did NOT change.

It seems a Yamaha Factory Tech at a Yamaha Repair center in 2005 emailed this info to access the "Diagnostic Mode" to a 2400 owner and he posted back then. I spent several hours looking for a system reset online and read any thread on different music forums I have never heard off. Non use for long periods of time is a :nono: I was lucky my 2400 powered back up. I read about a "Variac" and powering up PCB's slowly to keep from a Hard Start on dormant caps that can and often ruin the power supply caps etc.....the big expensive one's. I just found out the hard way on a NIB 1999 amp that was been stored 15 years. Hope this helps.

Louis

tried this 3 times and it still shut off after reset. But at the point of selecting the PROGRAM #11 in the reset directions the speakers do output sound. white noise but still I didnt expect any sound at all if its blown. I need to open it up

tried this 3 times and it still shut off after reset. But at the point of selecting the PROGRAM #11 in the reset directions the speakers do output sound. white noise but still I didnt expect any sound at all if its blown. I need to open it up

My friends RX-V2500 ( really close to the 2400) would not power back up either after many tries to re-set the processor. We took it to a authorized Yamaha Repair Center and $150.00 later and few "caps" all is fine again on Jim's 2500. I went thru the re-set process for a hour or so before I got "Lucky" on my 2400. Hope all your 2400 needs is a few "caps" replaced. If you were happy with the 2400, the $150.00 or so beats spending $1,000.00 or more for a new AVR with the same WPC etc. Post up what you find.

My friends RX-V2500 ( really close to the 2400) would not power back up either after many tries to re-set the processor. We took it to a authorized Yamaha Repair Center and $150.00 later and few "caps" all is fine again on Jim's 2500. I went thru the re-set process for a hour or so before I got "Lucky" on my 2400. Hope all your 2400 needs is a few "caps" replaced. If you were happy with the 2400, the $150.00 or so beats spending $1,000.00 or more for a new AVR with the same WPC etc. Post up what you find.

I dont need it, I am using a denon avr-4800 now. I sold my rx-v2095 for more than I paid for it and bought the Denon for less than I sold the Yamaha.

Ive had this 2400 just sitting here and its a shame

Just wanted to say "thanks" for your post, LAB3, as I had the same problem with my Yamaha RX-V2400 which had been in storage about 5 years. I've recently had a need for my RX-V2400, got it out of the closet, hooked everything up, powered it up and it would immediately shut off. Fortunately, I found your post, followed the steps, and now its working just great! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say "thanks" for your post, LAB3, as I had the same problem with my Yamaha RX-V2400 which had been in storage about 5 years. I've recently had a need for my RX-V2400, got it out of the closet, hooked everything up, powered it up and it would immediately shut off. Fortunately, I found your post, followed the steps, and now its working just great! Thanks again!

:thmbsp: Thanks .....glad it worked on yours too... I spent a LOT of time researching how to do this..thought it was cool when I went farther into the set up menu and found how to test the fan speed and other diagnostic functions while looking for the re-set. Yamaha should have posted this on their web site years ago... I guess they wanted everyone to send them into their repair center and spend more$$. I power up my 2400 up every now and then with some small speakers hooked up and let it play FM music for a few hours. Thanks to the Yamaha Tech that posted this years ago on a forum in the UK IIRC.
Louis

Back
Top Bottom